Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrumpyGeek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2013
Canada eh?
I was using Transmission for a bit but here was my problem:

I download all my media to a server on my network. The folder on my server is then scanned by plex so that i can watch it on my apple TV 2. When i was download things with Transmission i found that Plex could not scan it correctly and i had to do a force can on plex before it would show up in my network. I think it was the way that Transmission downloaded things in part but i can't be certain.

Not sure if any of you have had this problem.

Cheers!
GG

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
uTorrent, as I found it to produce less wasted data, thus higher speed and reliability.

As for your problem, I don't know, but all torrent clients download based on parts (pieces), as that's the whole point of this type of transfer.

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I was using Transmission for a bit but here was my problem:

I download all my media to a server on my network. The folder on my server is then scanned by plex so that i can watch it on my apple TV 2. When i was download things with Transmission i found that Plex could not scan it correctly and i had to do a force can on plex before it would show up in my network. I think it was the way that Transmission downloaded things in part but i can't be certain.

Not sure if any of you have had this problem.

Cheers!
GG

uTorrent, here.

As far as the issue you brought up-

You can configure at least uTorrent and probably the others to download to a folder not associated with Plex and once complete, move to one that Plex watches. I also use Plex and that's what I do. Only complete media files get into the watched plex folder instead of partial files. Works fine.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
+1 more for uTorrent! I don't know why anyone would choose something else. Vuze and Transmission were only good before uTorrent was written for Mac.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I don't torrent much these days, but when i do, i prefer uTorrent, just because i'm used to be, and more popular.

In the past, Transmission had issues with exiting the app completely... I always found it to hand on closing.... uTorrent does the same, but is less frustrating, since Transmission did it all the time.

cypriot

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
I always used utorrent but qbittorrent is my current choice because you can search for torrents within the app and it is way faster. I dont know why it is.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
I used transmission when I used to use it straight from my mac.

I have a seedbox now though.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
Have used uTorrent and Transmission and not much to choose between them really.

I'm now using ruTorrent on a seedbox which is a much better solution all around and well worth considering if your doing a lot of torrenting ;)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Who doesn't use uTorrent? It's a robust app with a nice UI and we'll maintained. Most importantly it's free!

Like I posted earlier, I use Transmission and it meets my needs. There is nothing wrong with uTorrent operationally, but I am a bit put off uTorrent since they were bought out by BitTorrent Inc. then the BitTorrent crew thought it would be a great idea to inject ads into the uTorrent app. They later backed away from this after user outcry and last I read they made the ads optional, but I suspect it is a sign of things to come for the app. I could be wrong.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
I sue Transmission as it seems to be quite light weight

Does anyone know if it's possible though to designate which files in a torrent you want to download when using Transmission? I couldn't figure out how to do this

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
Transmission, mainly because it is light and unobtrusive. On the other hand, I did not notice the same issues as others here seemed to have. Although it is a but slow to reach its top speed, it has a pretty good yield.

Do µTorrent give you more flexible and performant upload?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I sue Transmission as it seems to be quite light weight

Does anyone know if it's possible though to designate which files in a torrent you want to download when using Transmission? I couldn't figure out how to do this

Select the torrent file in the main window then do command-i and the box below pops up. Select the files tab and uncheck the files you do not want to download.

yrKF1Sk.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.