Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Oct 27, 2013, 01:56 PM   #1
OllyW

Lou Reed dead at 71

Lou Reed, Velvet Underground Leader and Rock Pioneer, Dead at 71.

I knew he'd been quite ill for a while but it still a shock to hear the news he's dead.

The Velvet Underground & Nico is one of the most influential albums of all time, even though it was ignored when it was released.

OllyW is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2013, 01:58 PM   #2
costabunny
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to costabunny
a sad loss indeed. I am sure his contributions will be enjoyed for many years and generations to come.

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
costabunny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2013, 02:05 PM   #3
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Very sad...

The Velvet Underground was a seminal group in the avant-garde 60's rock scene.

A very influential and interesting group...and his death at only 71 is certainly premature.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 02:09 PM   #4
Peace
macrumors P6

RIP Lou.

We lost another good one.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2013, 02:11 PM   #5
MyMac1976
Banned

Not another one..
MyMac1976 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2013, 02:16 PM   #6
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68020

I saw Lou Reed once at the Bottom Line in NYC back in the 70's. The guy was ultra cool and I loved his music. It's sad my generation is slowly dying off. Even though I'm "only 61", it makes me feel my own mortality
Old Oct 27, 2013, 02:27 PM   #7
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

RIP Mr. Reed. Thanks for the music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. McMac View Post
I saw Lou Reed once at the Bottom Line in NYC back in the 70's. The guy was ultra cool and I loved his music. It's sad my generation is slowly dying off. Even though I'm "only 61", it makes me feel my own mortality
Spent many a night at the Bottom Line in the late 70s.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 02:30 PM   #8
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
RIP Mr. Reed. Thanks for the music.

Spent many a night at the Bottom Line in the late 70s.
Possible we were there at the same time? You never know
Old Oct 27, 2013, 02:31 PM   #9
Peace
macrumors P6

NBC is reporting he died from complications after his liver transplant.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2013, 03:02 PM   #10
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllyW View Post
The Velvet Underground & Nico is one of the most influential albums of all time, even though it was ignored when it was released.
Never cared too much about that one, but "New York" is one of my favorite albums.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2013, 03:29 PM   #11
Scepticalscribe
macrumors Demi-Goddess

Yes, just heard this news from my brother. And 71 is young - too young to die - these days, notwithstanding the abuse some of these guys and that generation put their bodies, minds, (and who knows? Perhaps, their souls, as well) through back in the days when they thought they were immortal.

For my part, I have always loved the exquisite bittersweet song 'Perfect Day', and spent a lot of time listening to some of his albums, oh, many years ago, strongly influenced by an avant-garde French family who admired him.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2013, 03:36 PM   #12
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

He did have a liver transplant but it was earlier this year. Hadn't heard anything about him in a while. This was quite a shock.
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2013, 04:03 PM   #13
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Bye Lou...

Old Oct 28, 2013, 09:33 AM   #14
Happybunny
macrumors 65816

RIP

He was one of the true Rock stars of a generation.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 06:00 PM   #15
vrDrew
macrumors 65816

I'm a shallow jerk.

How do I know this? The only two Lou Reed tunes in my 13,000+ iTunes collection: Perfect Day and Take A Walk on The Wild Side.

But then, you knew that already, didn't ya?

Lou Reed wasn't the easiest artist to warm up to. He famously released Metal Machine Music, an hour-long collection of guitar/amplifier feedback played at various speeds. (Even Lou Reed admitted to not having listened to it all the way through.) He walked out of an interview with Terry Gross of Fresh Air, for Pete's Sake! (The only other person to do that, I think, was FoxNews blowhard Bill O'Reilly)

Despite this, we're all a bunch musically richer for having lived in a world with Lou Reed in it. Rock On, my brother, wherever it may find you...
vrDrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2013, 06:01 PM   #16
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
You'll be missed Lou. My best regards to his loved ones.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 06:08 PM   #17
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrDrew View Post
I'm a shallow jerk.

How do I know this? The only two Lou Reed tunes in my 13,000+ iTunes collection: Perfect Day and Take A Walk on The Wild Side.

But then, you knew that already, didn't ya?

Lou Reed wasn't the easiest artist to warm up to. He famously released Metal Machine Music, an hour-long collection of guitar/amplifier feedback played at various speeds. (Even Lou Reed admitted to not having listened to it all the way through.) He walked out of an interview with Terry Gross of Fresh Air, for Pete's Sake! (The only other person to do that, I think, was FoxNews blowhard Bill O'Reilly)

Despite this, we're all a bunch musically richer for having lived in a world with Lou Reed in it. Rock On, my brother, wherever it may find you...
I guess people won't be looking so far down on that album Metallica did with him now..

Seriously, one of the things I that I only put one and one together with yesterday was with his song Satellite of Love, and how that set the tone for Def Leppard's Rocket. Joe Elliot even mentioned it in their episode of Classic Albums: Hysteria. I only heard Reed's song for the first time yesterday, and finally got what Def Leppard was coming from!

41 years since Satellite of Love (granted, it came out 2 years before I was born) and 27 years since Hysteria, and I finally get it..

BL.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2013, 06:37 AM   #18
Bubba Satori
macrumors 68040

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bb-VTyXNDQ
Bubba Satori is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2013, 07:37 PM   #19
Supa_Fly
macrumors 68030

Send a message via MSN to Supa_Fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
Yes, just heard this news from my brother. And 71 is young - too young to die - these days, notwithstanding the abuse some of these guys and that generation put their bodies, minds, (and who knows? Perhaps, their souls, as well) through back in the days when they thought they were immortal.
71 is typical for this generation of men to be honest. Those born in early 70's we're looking at 10yrs more, 80's/90's another 10yrs more.

That said I, I didn't know of this person - I'm not that influenced by older Rock'N'Roll ... however I do respect his contributions and I'm very saddened that these innovators ... REAL MUSICIANS are dieing at an alarming rate ... leaving us with Mylie Cyrus, that fake rapper from Toronto (I'm always trying to forget his name as I'm also from and living in Toronto - he never came from the bottom and made it to the top - he was a child star on 2nd generation of Degrassi High), and the like.

Music is loosing quality talent and proper expression ... maybe it's because there is no real soul in music lately ... no real purpose behind the lyrics and too much focus on lights camera action and looks.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 06:11 AM   #20
MyMac1976
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa_Fly View Post
71 is typical for this generation of men to be honest. Those born in early 70's we're looking at 10yrs more, 80's/90's another 10yrs more.

That said I, I didn't know of this person - I'm not that influenced by older Rock'N'Roll ... however I do respect his contributions and I'm very saddened that these innovators ... REAL MUSICIANS are dieing at an alarming rate ... leaving us with Mylie Cyrus, that fake rapper from Toronto (I'm always trying to forget his name as I'm also from and living in Toronto - he never came from the bottom and made it to the top - he was a child star on 2nd generation of Degrassi High), and the like.

Music is loosing quality talent and proper expression ... maybe it's because there is no real soul in music lately ... no real purpose behind the lyrics and too much focus on lights camera action and looks.
You may not have been influenced by old rock'n roll but rock'n roll was influenced by Velvet Underground.

Velvet Undergound, Patti Smith, MC5, The Stooges, The Dictators, New York Dolls, Television, and on and on. They sorta paved the way for what is rock now.
MyMac1976 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2013, 06:49 AM   #21
copykris
macrumors 6502a

i was fortunate enough to see lou reed twice and both shows were of exceptional quality

such a unique personality & songwriter

he'll be greatly missed
copykris is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events