Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

britinfrance

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
Sorry, but am a total technical numpty...

If someone in the past has been allowed access to your computer, and they are now in another country, is it possible for them to gain remote access to your computer via the code they were given?

I've only just read about stealth mode so have activated this just in case it's relevant, but am wondering about the past year or so when I was unaware.

Would be very grateful for responses, thank you.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
What code? Are you talking about a remote support code of some kind? If so, the answer is almost certainly no - codes that get generated by services like go to meeting or ones that are generated by you are good for only a limited period of time - sometimes they are only valid for one session.

No way that any service would keep a code going forever - major security risk.

britinfrance

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
Thanks, but I'm thinking of my internet service provider code that guests need to input to use my internet - will that only work from this location? Trouble with all the conspiracy stuff floating round is that it's too easy for a non-techie to assume that anyone with any knowledge can do anything they like - even if only for the fun of it... because they can.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Thanks, but I'm thinking of my internet service provider code that guests need to input to use my internet - will that only work from this location?

I think you are talking about a Wireless network password then? If that is the case, the answer is still no. Your wireless password is only useful on your own network and nowhere else.

If someone wanted to track you there are far easier ways that actually track you. Your Wifi password has no tracking methodologies - it’s just a token that your router uses for a yes/no validation for access.

britinfrance

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
Thanks again. I think I'm going to stop thinking about this - is the way to madness!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.