Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which 13" Haswell did you buy? (disregard CPU)

• 128gb / 4gb ram

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • 128gb / 8gb ram

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • 256gb / 8gb ram

Votes: 46 32.2%
  • 256gb / 16gb ram

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • 512gb / 8gb ram

Votes: 18 12.6%
  • 512gb / 16gb ram

Votes: 38 26.6%
  • 1tb / 8gb ram

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • 1tb / 16gb ram

Votes: 21 14.7%
  • a non-retina (I like just like CDs)

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

Meister

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
Which Haswell 13" did you get?
Feel free to add the reason for your choice and what you use it for.

Last edited:

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
13" 2.8/16/512

Only reason I didn't go 1 TB was because my wife probably will never come close to filling the 512. Probably won't even fill 256, so the 512 itself is insurance for storage space.

Meister

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
13" 2.4 i5 8gb/256gb for internet, word processing, presentations (keynote, pp, prezi), photoshop, video editing, webdesign and general multitasking.

Meister

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
256/8.

I'm an attorney, thus I'm not exactly using Photoshop/Aperture or rendering 3D video, so I figured I'd be safe without 16 gigs of RAM.
u can run Photoshop/Aperture with ease on any rmbp.

nathairtras

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2013
13" 2.8/16/512

Only reason I didn't go 1 TB was because my wife probably will never come close to filling the 512. Probably won't even fill 256, so the 512 itself is insurance for storage space.

Even if she did, there's always SDXC cards for portability and external drives for capacity. (Well, even SDXC can be pretty big, if you pay for it.)

You made a smart decision. I didn't. :D

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I got the fully maxed out one. 15.4" / 2.6GHz / 750m / 16GB RAM / 1TB SSD.

I will be using it for many different tasks, light stuff like Email, Web browsing, remote server administration, book reading, music listening & video watching.

But I'll also be using it for heavier tasks like Programming, Virtual Machines, Photoshop, Aperture and Final Cut Pro X.

So for me it's an everything machine I'll be doing almost everything you can imagine with the computer.

The main reason I went for the full spec is I will be using all this software ^ so I needed the power it provides, but also I will be keeping this computer for at-least 3 years minimum. I'm well aware (having been buying Apple laptops for over a decade) that the specs today quickly become obsolete and since we cannot upgrade the RAM and the SSD upgrade path looks uncertain I decided to max both of these at the point of purchase.

I will admit I don't need the 1TB SSD in storage terms, I mainly went with that as I know from buying many many SSD's that the higher the capacity the higher the performance and I was correct this time around as the 1TB SSD in these new models reaches almost 1GB/s read and 0.9GB/s write which is almost 100% utilisation of the 8Gb/s bandwidth provided by the PCIe connector the SSD sticks use. This extra boost is certainly nice not that the 512GB SSD isn't fast though.

TL;DR Need highest specs for apps and longevity over 3 year minimum ownership.

Meister

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
I know. The point is that I'm not using memory-intensive apps. It's much more Word/Acrobat. Boring, huh?

well the retina makes working easier and if u can afford it, y not.
u would've also been served well with a mba base model for 500,- less.

cmmaia

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2010
Mid base 13" for me. I'd like a quad-core, but can't justify the extra real estate on the go. Will go iMac when the need for extra power kicks in. Should be here on Tuesday :)

Meister

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
I got the fully maxed out one. 15.4" / 2.6GHz / 750m / 16GB RAM / 1TB SSD.

I will be using it for many different tasks, light stuff like Email, Web browsing, remote server administration, book reading, music listening & video watching.

But I'll also be using it for heavier tasks like Programming, Virtual Machines, Photoshop, Aperture and Final Cut Pro X.

So for me it's an everything machine I'll be doing almost everything you can imagine with the computer.

The main reason I went for the full spec is I will be using all this software ^ so I needed the power it provides, but also I will be keeping this computer for at-least 3 years minimum. I'm well aware (having been buying Apple laptops for over a decade) that the specs today quickly become obsolete and since we cannot upgrade the RAM and the SSD upgrade path looks uncertain I decided to max both of these at the point of purchase.

I will admit I don't need the 1TB SSD in storage terms, I mainly went with that as I know from buying many many SSD's that the higher the capacity the higher the performance and I was correct this time around as the 1TB SSD in these new models reaches almost 1GB/s read and 0.9GB/s write which is almost 100% utilisation of the 8Gb/s bandwidth provided by the PCIe connector the SSD sticks use. This extra boost is certainly nice not that the 512GB SSD isn't fast though.

TL;DR Need highest specs for apps and longevity over 3 year minimum ownership.

sounds like you are one of the rare people who need full specs.
enjoy! :)

hammm

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2013
13"/2.4/16gb/256

i do a lot of huge photoshop files editing + multiple VMs, hence the 16GB

:(:(:(

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
13", 2.4 GHz, 8gb, 256 SSD.

My general day consists of note taking (using OneNote via Parallels), internet surfing, Spotify playing, and editing photos in Photoshop. Nothing super crazy intensive for me.

Meister

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
Somebody asked for the poll.
I am sure that more than 90 folks bought a 13" rmbp!
:)

sergiobaschi

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
Gothenburg, Sweden
13"/i7/16/512

This will work as a replacement for a 2011 11" MBA. Initially, I'll most likely be shocked by the extra weight... But I'm looking forward to using the extra power, and the display.

16 GB is a no-brainer for me. The SSD is still overpriced, and 256 would have been enough (the MBA had only 128 GB), but I felt for some luxury... The i7 was a last minute decision. I'm planning to move some of my Premiere Pro/After Effects work from the iMac to the rMBP, and given the Iris doesn't give any Cuda benefits, I might as well just maximize the CPU potential as well.

I think the rMBP in combination with my iMac (see sign.) will be a perfect combination for me.

I'm going on a vacation, and it will get here before I do. Can't wait to get back from Cape Verde... Or..?

HungLO

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2008
Got it to replace my traveling Late 2010 MBA (13-inch: 2.13GHz Core 2 Duo, 256GB SSD, 4GB RAM). That was the max at the time. Primarily for VM usage on the go.

HungLO

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2008
My employer bought it for me as a replacement. I don't have the invoice handy, but it was around $2600 including Apple Care, tax and shipping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.