Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sev

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Southeast UK + Italy
Hi all,

I have a dilemma which I really really hope someone here can help me with!

About two years ago I connected a dell laptop to our time capsule network so we could share information with it using bonjour.

It showed up under "shared" in the finder sidebar. We since have gotten rid of the thing but the image of it in the finder never went way.

I have since upgraded to Mavericks, and I have to say, the install was painless. I downloaded the update, installed, backed up all of my stuff and them used the recovery partition to wipe and re-install the software as our machines were long overdue a well deserved spring clean, an ideal opportunity to clear all those old files and apps we no longer used.

As you can imagine after a clean install - there was the *********g phantom machine still showing!

What I don't want:
The workaround where you hide the issue by just turning off Bonjour computers in the finder preferences.

What I have done so far (on iMac 27, macbook pro 17 and macbook air):
disconnected the ethernet, turned off wifi and cleared recent servers, then relauched the finder.

It seemed to do the trick and then once again, there it was!
The initial backup to time capsule was done via ethernet rather than Wifi.

Would resetting the time capsule have any effect?

I had really hoped that a clean install would get rid of this issue, but obviously not. Is there and exorcist in the house!

Attachments

• grabimg.jpg
    grabimg.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 83

jjdlax

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2014
Were you able to find a solution?

With Yosemite I now have the same issue on an iMac. Did you every find a solution to the phantom shared items?
Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.