Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

culturesubcultu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
I purchased my MacBook Pro back in 2009 with 2x2GB RAM cards. I have three questions:

1. I would like to know if I might be able to upgrade these cards to either 2x4GB (8GB) or 2x8GB (16GB) to improve my processor speed?

2. Is there a preferred manufacturer of this upgrade? I'm seeing a bit about Mac RAM Direct's Hypervelocity.

3. And, would I be able to remove the current 4GB and install these upgrades myself?

Thank you in advance for any assistance or suggestions you may have.

My computer's information is as follows...

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP51.007E.B06
SMC Version: 1.41f2

Raunien

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2011
Ssd

In addition to upgrading the RAM, I would also suggest you upgrade your machine with a SSD. It can be SATA 2 or SATA3, your computer will be limited to SATA2 speeds.

There are many threads on Macrumors that suggest which SSDs are a great buy.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Terrific! Thank you both so much for your invaluable feedback! :)) Craig

No problem, that's what we're here for! Brand doesn't matter too much, but I've had good experience with Komputerbay. All you really have to do though is take a couple minutes to look at the reviews when you find decently priced ram.

culturesubcultu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
Ssd

As for the SSD, I remember when I purchased my MacBook there was the option to get a 300GB disc drive OR a 120GB SSD. Can they exist concurrently... properly fitting within the body? And how does a SSD improve performance? Or is it simply for memory storage? Thanks again in advance :)

mneblett

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008
As for the SSD, I remember when I purchased my MacBook there was the option to get a 300GB disc drive OR a 120GB SSD. Can they exist concurrently... properly fitting within the body? And how does a SSD improve performance? Or is it simply for memory storage? Thanks again in advance :)
If you remove the DVD drive and replace it with a third-party optibay hard drive holder, yes -- at least that was possible with my late '08 15" MBP. I do not recall that the 2009's were different in this regard, but do some googling to confirm.

BTW, putting 8GB RAM and a 256GB SSD in my late '08 made a *huge* difference -- a much more responsive machine.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico

They can, but those were the options Apple provided based on when you got your computer in 2009. You can use any storage size solid sate drive (SSD) or hard drive. Solid state is much more reliable, has no moving parts, makes systems last longer, and can really help boost the speeds of older machines. SSD also has incredibly faster write times so your boot up times will be way faster and applications run a lot smoother. Solid state is very ideal if you can afford it and don't mind having a smaller amount of internal storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.