Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jan 3, 2003, 02:25 AM   #1
cyks
macrumors 68020

Question OS 9 Bootable? Anyone know?

SJ had said that new machines starting next year (the now current year) wouldn't be able to boot into OS 9... Quark then said otherwise.
I was curious- now that it's officially '03... does anybody know what the story about booting into OS9 is? Can a new machine still do it? or are we finally limited to Classic for it? Anyone?
Just curious- but thanks to anyone who knows.
cyks is offline   0
Old Jan 3, 2003, 02:56 AM   #2
kishba
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to kishba
here in michigan there was quite a controversy between several school districts and apple regarding os9 support.

several school districts still have older mac equipment that simply will not run os x without both hard drive and ram upgrades. apple could not provide enough reasons for the schools to completely upgrade to os x (the negatives of switching to os x eventually outweighed the positives) so an ultimatum was given.

apple backed down and confirmed with my school district that os 9 will still boot on select mac systems until june. i have a feeling this will only include old g3 imacs, possibly emacs. it's not a victory for the school districts or apple, in fact it's only delaying the inevitable.

apple will force districts, and consumers, to use os x very, very soon and i have a feeling this will cause apple to lose even more of its market share in education. the school district i attend may in fact switch to all windows if apple drops support for os 9 anytime soon. it is rather unfortunate.

here's a break down of my district's current OS distribution... the graphic was published in my school's newspaper.
Attached Images

"I personally don't give a shiza what Intel is at and personally i'm tired of hearing about them. Intel based machines don't run OS X or Final Cut Pro. End of story." - nuckinfutz (60)

amen.
kishba is offline   0
Old Jan 3, 2003, 03:08 AM   #3
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Re: OS 9 Bootable? Anyone know?

Quote:
Originally posted by cyks
SJ had said that new machines starting next year (the now current year) wouldn't be able to boot into OS 9... Quark then said otherwise.
I was curious- now that it's officially '03... does anybody know what the story about booting into OS9 is? Can a new machine still do it? or are we finally limited to Classic for it? Anyone?
Just curious- but thanks to anyone who knows.
Right... _new_ machines as of 1/1/03 were announced NOT to be able to boot OS 9.

Since no NEW machines have been introduced... nothing yet has changed.

arn
arn is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers