Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The MacRumors Folding@home team has accumulated over one billion points for the distributed computing medical research project. The MacRumors team, currently ranked #55 out of over two hundred thousand Folding@home teams, reached the milestone point total on October 27.

Folding@home participants receive work units as computation assignments. Completed work units are assigned points based on their value to the project's scientific purposes. Extra points can be earned for speed, reliability, and the use of multiple machines. Led by top contributors rwh202, twoodcc, and whiterabbit, Team MacRumors has completed over 1.1 million work units since the team formation in May 2002 by MacRumors owner Arnold Kim. The team currently averages over 4000 work units and over 2 million points per month. Forum members have been watching for this milestone for months.

Additional team statistics and graphs can be viewed at Extreme Overclocking.

We congratulate the currently active MacRumors Folding@home team members and the thousands of others who have participated over the years. We invite everyone who is interested to join our team!

mr_folding_billion.jpg
Folding@home, run by Stanford University since October 2000, is a distributed computing project under which computers run protein folding simulation software in their idle time, helping researchers search for cures for Alzheimer's disease, Huntington's disease, Parkinson's disease, AIDS, influenza, and many forms of cancer. The software simulates how proteins, RNA, and nanoscale synthetic polymers fold, both to gain understanding of how proteins fold into their three-dimensional structure and to study the causes of the abnormal folding that leads to disease. To date, over 100 scientific research papers have resulted from Folding@home.

Article Link: MacRumors Folding@home Team Reaches One Billion Points

SvP

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
"certificate made in Word '97 by my 8 year old son"

(great news for the rest of it, but sheesh.. it's 2013)

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
Oh my, I didn't even know there was a MacRumors folding team. I might switch teams soon :)

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Nice job guys!

With those new Mac Pros with their dual FirePro graphics we'll get to two billion in no time!

Seriously, congrats! I love how our fairly small community can rank up with the "big boys" of folding - fighting back with the power of the Mac! (Fighting back to cancer that is!)
2eoie69.jpg

Last edited:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I have so many idle Macs all over my house... Maybe I should have some of them start contributing to this...

One of them I'm planning on setting up a web server on, but most of them I have no current plans for...

DOSNET

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2013
I have so many idle Macs all over my house... Maybe I should have some of them start contributing to this...

One of them I'm planning on setting up a web server on, but most of them I have no current plans for...

This is only one of many such projects that benefit humanity. I'd suggest doing research. World Community Grid is a big one.

DOSNET

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2013
Why is this not on the front page?

I wonder that myself. These kinds of massively distributed projects have the potential to revolutionize the world. Unfortunately they only have a fraction of the computing power available to them that they could have. Need more publicity guys!

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Thanks to MR for mentioning and giving the team a home where we can ask for help, offer help or just interact. Supporting F@H and it's good cause. :)

Oh my, I didn't even know there was a MacRumors folding team. I might switch teams soon :)

i've been thinking about this for a while now.
so...

How do i join? :D

You are always welcome, every member & Mac (also Windows or Linux) counts ... Just download the software from Stanford project site: http://folding.stanford.edu/home/the-software/

While setup the client you will be asked to enter a team number. That would be 3446.

Please also make sure to enter a passkey for your configuration in order to be eligible for bonus points; after the 10th successful work unit http://folding.stanford.edu/home/faq/faq-passkey/

Here some recent story of a successful newjoiner moving impressive points with a Mac Mini.

If you have any question just drop us a note over here: https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/19/

Just a warning: it can be very addictive to start folding, believe me ... :D

Last edited:

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY

A friend of mine likes to say, "If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, every day would be Christmas."

(NOTE: DELETED question about no plans for folding software for OSX 9: I mis-read it, thinking "OSX 10.9". All is good--I see the software is available for OSX 10--sorry for any confusion I might have caused.)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.