Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cesararjona

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2013
Hi,

I want to buy the new 13 inch. I do some light gaming like; dota2, sc, etc. I read some were that it is possible to play biochock infinite at decent setting on the 13 inch. Please let me know what you guys think. Thank you.

ahhitsalan

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
Im interested in that as well. Also how well does the 13" or 15" play league and at what settings? Please and thank you. ^_^

teotuf

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2012
Hi,

I want to buy the new 13 inch. I do some light gaming like; dota2, sc, etc. I read some were that it is possible to play biochock infinite at decent setting on the 13 inch. Please let me know what you guys think. Thank you.

I don't have much time to play with different games these 2 weeks, but I just installed guild wars 2 in boot camp windows 7 SP1 x64.

It is completely playable at 1920x1200 at low settings (which still surprisingly looks quite good despite my used to running it on 1080p high). And I'm walking around in lion's arch at around 25-30 fps. Dota 2 is much less graphics intensive. But I won't get around to testing that for a few days.

cesararjona

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2013
I don't have much time to play with different games these 2 weeks, but I just installed guild wars 2 in boot camp windows 7 SP1 x64.

It is completely playable at 1920x1200 at low settings (which still surprisingly looks quite good despite my used to running it on 1080p high). And I'm walking around in lion's arch at around 25-30 fps. Dota 2 is much less graphics intensive. But I won't get around to testing that for a few days.

What are the spec of your 13 inch? 8 ram or 16? thank you

Leudast

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2011
Also interested in this.

Most intensive game I'd run would be Morrowind through bootcamp, but I'd also like to casually play LOL or other low-key games while travelling.

How much of a diff would I see between the 2.6GHz i5 and the 2.8GHz i7?

teotuf

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2012
Also interested in this.

Most intensive game I'd run would be Morrowind through bootcamp, but I'd also like to casually play LOL or other low-key games while travelling.

How much of a diff would I see between the 2.6GHz i5 and the 2.8GHz i7?

None. You'd be lucky to see a 1fps difference.

teotuf

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2012
i5 it is!

Let's just put it this way. I came from an quad core i7-2720qm and AMD 6770m with 2GB GDDR5. So as you can imagine I was pretty anxious about the performance of the i5-4288U, both for going back down to a dual core and the graphics downgrade.

Happy to say after fooling around it with a day and spending hours trying to figure out bootcamp - all my worries are gone.

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
been playing Skyrim and Tomb Raider via Bootcamp and Windows 8.1, and i'm getting a steady +-40fps in skyrim with a mix medium-high settings. i'm getting 35-40 with Tomb Raider, also with medium-high settings. about to try out Dead Space 3 later. my specs in my sig

edit: tweaked win 8.1 and turned off some services and uninstalled some programs.. and now i'm able to play all 3 games smoothly. see my additions a few posts below.

Last edited:

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2008
about to try out Dead Space 3 later. my specs in my sig

Nice. Can't wait to see you push the Iris for Dead Space 3. According to Notebookcheck, Ultra settings might not have playable framerates. This was a few weeks ago. Kinda hoping Intel has optimized Iris now.

Can someone also try XCOM Enemy Unknown?

cesararjona

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2013
been playing Skyrim and Tomb Raider via Bootcamp and Windows 8.1, and i'm getting a steady +-40fps in skyrim with a mix medium-high settings. i'm getting 35-40 with Tomb Raider, also with medium-high settings. about to try out Dead Space 3 later. my specs in my sig

Hi,

If possible can you try dota2? that and biochock are the only games that I am interested. Thank you

Hog Milanese

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
Austin
If I could play SC2 and Civ5 without significant issues, that would be great. Anyone tried these games on the new 13" rMBP?

jooface

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2010
2.4/8/256 13" retina

Ran these games over the weekend at 1440x900 (or whatever was closest) and med settings with vsync off just to answer this question

Dota2: 30 fps+ (I play a lot of Dota and I didn't notice any difference coming from late 2011 15" mbp)
SC2: 35+
D3: 33+

These were with the native OSX versions too. Can't really justify installing bootcamp if I don't really game that often on my Mac.

Only games I had access to since I normally game on my Xbox

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
Nice. Can't wait to see you push the Iris for Dead Space 3. According to Notebookcheck, Ultra settings might not have playable framerates. This was a few weeks ago. Kinda hoping Intel has optimized Iris now.

i was able to play Dead Space 3 at high settings on 1280x800 running around +-50fps :) at certain points it even goes up to 60+fps.

this is on Windows 8.1

Hi,

If possible can you try dota2? that and biochock are the only games that I am interested. Thank you

sorry i don't have those games yet. i'm planning on getting bioshock infinite, but not til after i've played through Skyrim, Tomb Raider, and Dead Space 3.. those 3 would keep me busy for a while, since i don't game as much as i used to.

i'm pretty happy with Iris so far. considering these 3 are still fairly new and modern games.. on Windows 8.1.. i'm able to play all 3 smoothly on High settings at 1280x800.

after some tweaking in 8.1.. (removing unnecessary services and programs)...

i'm now able to run Skyrim at a +-47fps outdoors where there are a lot of things going on.. this is with object fade at a fairly far distance also. i do have some mods running as well via nexus mod manager, so not sure how that's affecting. when i have more time.. i'll see if turning on or off certain mods affect speed. indoors it hovers around 50fps

both Tomb Raider and Dead Space 3 impressed me with how smooth they play. you can pretty much set both on High, just make sure to uncheck "Post Processing" on both. i've also found that FXAA does a good job of taking care of aliasing, so for you guys who aren't able to run AA.. this is a good alternative. you can also run Anisotropic Filtering up to 16x without taking much hit on performance.

ps.. i also use Razer Game Booster. just helps me turn off more services automatically when gaming. it's nice that it turns them back on automatically also when i'm done.

Last edited:

ChronoIMG

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Light gaming, totally. I play games on my Mac Mini 2011 edition with Intel 3000 GPU. Plays Diablo 3, SC2, LoL, and DotA2 among others are acceptable levels in low quality but native resolution of 1080p. Is it smoking fast? No. Is it playable? Totally.

I'm actually now looking at the rMBP 13" mid-range model or the top end 13" MBA right now as I need a portable Mac that can do acceptable levels of Aperture/Lightroom/Photoshop while I'm away from my desk. I also want to be able to play a few games once in awhile when the urge strikes. I've owned a i7 quad core MBP before with the smoking GPU and gobs of RAM. Was a complete waste of money for what I needed. Yup, I downgraded to this Mac Mini and everything is great except for 15" MBP Mid-2007 model is a bit long in the tooth when I need the portability. Even that machine still plays D3, SC2, etc. A MBP from 2007 plays games! :eek:

tldr; 13" Late 2013 rMBP will play games just fine.

Lagmonster

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
I just upgraded to a 15" pro but previously had a 2011 13" Air. I was able to play some LoL. It wasn't like my gaming PC, but it worked. I would feel pretty comfortable playing some light gaming on the new 13" pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.