Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beethovengirl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2004
Hi,

I bought a Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router from amazon.com a few months ago, when the amazon website claimed it was compatible with Mac OS X. My router stopped working today, and when I called Linksys tech support, they said that they don't support Mac. I went back to the amazon website and now they don't say anything about Mac.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do? I think that I should be able to return it but I'm sure amazon will claim there was nothing on their website about Mac compatibility.

thank you for your input! :)

iSaint

macrumors 603
That's one of the most absurd things I've ever heard. You weren't calling about your Mac, you were calling about your router that they manufacture. Your computer can join any wireless network, and it's up the Linksys to support their product so you can use it. Call them back and tell them to help you get their router working. I'm not ragging on you, I'm ragging on Linksys...

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Call them back and talk to someone else. They may not officially "support" OS X, but there's stuff on their web pages about it and would be stupid not to. Especially since it should work the same on either system (you should be able to configure it through a web browser). If they try that again, ask to talk to a supervisor.

beethovengirl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2004
iSaint said:
You weren't calling about your Mac, you were calling about your router that they manufacture. Your computer can join any wireless network, and it's up the Linksys to support their product so you can use it. Call them back and tell them to help you get their router working.

well, I told the tech support guy this was ridiculous, and he said there was nothing he could do b/c he doesn't know Macs. so then I asked to be transferred to his supervisor and/or to someone in the US [he was obviously in India]. I spoke to his supervisor who said he would make sure the tech support guy fixed it. So I was transferred back to the original guy and he had me reset the router. This worked and my computer was able to get an internet connection but he couldn't actually configure the router so that it's password-protected which is problematic b/c I live in an apt bldg. In any case, even though I have an internet connection currently, this is unacceptable for future problems, and I do want/need a password-protected network.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
beethovengirl said:
Hi,

I bought a Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router from amazon.com a few months ago, when the amazon website claimed it was compatible with Mac OS X. My router stopped working today, and when I called Linksys tech support, they said that they don't support Mac. I went back to the amazon website and now they don't say anything about Mac.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do? I think that I should be able to return it but I'm sure amazon will claim there was nothing on their website about Mac compatibility.

thank you for your input! :)

linksys has never supported macs, but their products work just fine with them. Just tell them you're using a PC if they ask. the setup is through a web browser anyway, so it doesn't matter what OS you are using.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
strider42 said:
linksys has never supported macs, but their products work just fine with them. Just tell them you're using a PC if they ask. the setup is through a web browser anyway, so it doesn't matter what OS you are using.

Exactly. This is the same router I have. I'm running iBook (G-wifi), iMac (wired), XP Pro machine (B-wifi) and a Slimdevice (G-wifi) - no problems. All WPA encrypted.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
uh...

Reset the router, hook it up, connect to it. Open Safari and type 192.168.0.1 (I think, the actual number would be in ANY Linksys manual for that device) and configure using the web app. I know for a fact this works.

beethovengirl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2004
appleretailguy said:
Reset the router, hook it up, connect to it. Open Safari and type 192.168.0.1 (I think, the actual number would be in ANY Linksys manual for that device) and configure using the web app. I know for a fact this works.

it didn't come with a manual. which web app are you referring to?

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
appleretailguy said:

I can also confirm that this router works without a problem with Mac's, Windows, Linux and Solaris. Configuration of this router is through a web interface so the OS on any client machines is irrelevant.

The default address for the linksys admin interface is 192.168.1.1 username is blank, password is 'admin'.

If you have previously had the router configured to use a password for wireless networking then you simply need to re-configure the router int he same way. Once you have the router configured as you want it, be certain to go to the Administration->Config Management tab and save the router configuration to a file. This allows you to upload the configuration to the router if you ever need to reset the router to defaults in the future.

trudd

macrumors regular
May 27, 2004
Texas
So the computer connects to the network just fine, but you don't know how to configure it?

Type 192.168.1.1 into Safari, enter your login (default is admin/admin methinks) and use the web app (which is just a webpage) to configure it.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
appleretailguy said:
Reset the router, hook it up, connect to it.
Preferably, connect to it by using an ethernet cable from your machine to the LAN ports on the router, and not by wireless since your WiFi connection could be FUBAR.

Whatever you do, don't just push the Secure Easy Setup button in the front! As others have suggested, configure it manually at the web configuration app http://:admin@192.168.1.1.

B

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
You're experiencing Linksys's poor outsourced technical support. When mine broke 3 times I didn't even bother calling tech support, I just return them to Walmart (3 months you can return it I think). My last one I've had for like more than a year now though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.