Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I saw a retina MacBook Pro on Craigslist and am talking to the seller. It's base 2012 15" (2.3/256/8gb). He has the box and charger as well, and it's a Samsung display. Warranty expires in a couple weeks on November 8 and I can always extend it 2-3 years with AppleCare. He wants $900 cash. Mint condition. Reason he's selling: has to take care of bills for family. Good price?

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
That is a tricky one.....

too low price to be good and true, IMO

He will want the money to pay bills and something, but even with warranty, you can end with a lemon.....:eek::confused:

:):apple:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Oh Squilly … your 'is this a scam?' threads always keep me entertained. :D

Of course it's a scam, 100%. Just be careful out there matey, it's a dangerous world. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. :)

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
too low price to be good and true, IMO

He will want the money to pay bills and something, but even with warranty, you can end with a lemon.....:eek::confused:

:):apple:

If it were a lemon, I could just send it to Apple within the timeframe of the warranty.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Buy it, Mate!

Never pass up an opportunity to get something for a too-good-to-be-true price...or miss out on any get rich quick scheme!

:rolleyes:

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Buy it, Mate!

Never pass up an opportunity to get something for a too-good-to-be-true price...or miss out on any get rich quick scheme!

:rolleyes:

He sounds legit... Was going to meet me too. He lives in Lancaster, CA but oddly the ad was in the Lancaster, PA Craigslist (which is where I'm located).

StockDC2

macrumors regular
May 16, 2011
Pretty sure Apple doesn't keep history logs of stolen products. Unless it was reported directly.

What does that have to do with anything? The poster said that it was stolen, not that you were going to get caught with a stolen machine. Sheesh.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Ended up falling through. Got suspicious when things weren't adding up (multiple Craigslist ads across the country).

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Pretty sure Apple doesn't keep history logs of stolen products. Unless it was reported directly.

So if i'm reading this correctly...you're comfortable buying stolen stuff, as long as you don't get caught?

Interesting set of ethic principles going there (or lack of them).

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
So if i'm reading this correctly...you're comfortable buying stolen stuff, as long as you don't get caught?

Interesting set of ethic principles going there (or lack of them).

I'm sure I've bought stolen stuff on Craigslist before, but if I was told it was stolen, no I wouldn't buy it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.