Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

When Apple launches orders for the iPad Air on Friday, November 1, the company will reportedly accept requests for Personal Pickup, according to a source who notified MacRumors about Apple's plans.

With Personal Pickup, prospective buyers can reserve an iPad Air online beginning at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Time and pick it up at a nearby Apple retail location later that same day without waiting in line.

ipadair.jpg

Launch day availability of Personal Pickup is unusual for Apple, as the company did not offer the choice for the iPad 2, the last tablet that was offered without pre-orders. Apple also did not initially offer in-store pickup of the iPhone 5c, despite the fact that supplies of the phone were readily available.

Though Apple has elected not to accept pre-orders for the iPad Air, it appears that supplies of the tablet are plentiful, with no significant shortages expected. And while supplies of the iPad Air do not appear to be constrained, the same cannot be said for Apple's Retina iPad mini. The tablet, which does not yet have a solid release date, may not be widely available until early 2014.

Revealed last Tuesday, the new iPad Air weighs in at a pound and is 20 percent thinner and 28 percent lighter than Apple's previous fourth-generation iPad. Along with a Retina display, it includes an A7 processor, an M7 motion coprocessor, and a 5-megapixel rear camera.

Available in white/silver and black/space gray, the iPad Air begins at $499 for the entry-level 16 GB Wi-Fi only model with a $100 price increase for additional storage options up to 128 GB and an extra $129 for comparable cellular models.

While online orders will be accepted beginning at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Time in the United States and at varying times in other countries, Apple retail locations will open at 8 a.m. local time in the U.S. and other countries in Europe and Asia to begin in-store sales.

Article Link: iPad Air Supplies Expected to Be Plentiful at Launch With In-Store Pickup Available

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
Great news, I'll probably be getting home from a Halloween party at that time :D

weaverra

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2006
(OLD OLD) New iPad, the (OLD) New iPad, the iPad Air. Honestly I think the market is saturated with 'New' iPads right now. Apple has kind of lost their way with a fragmented line of iPads. C'mon retire the iPad 2!

campingsk8er

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2011
Elizabethtown, PA
So, is there a possibility that I could camp out for this all night (because I think it is fun), and possibly not get any because people in my area could have reserved all of there supplies online?

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
iPads aside, I use Personal Pickup frequently.

It's such a convenient time saver.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
Might get the Air instead of the Mini. I think the mini will come out 15 days after the iPad Air.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
(OLD OLD) New iPad, the (OLD) New iPad, the iPad Air. Honestly I think the market is saturated with 'New' iPads right now. Apple has kind of lost their way with a fragmented line of iPads. C'mon retire the iPad 2!

I think Apple should retire the iPad 2 honestly and move on so developers can focus on the latest... I think the reason Apple keeps the iPad 2 around is because the iPad mini shares the same screen as the iPad 2.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
The name annoys me. They took an iPad and made it lighter, thinner and faster, which they should do every couple years to begin with.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011

Why stop when they are making profit? Are you crazy?

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY

Apple made a mistake calling the 2nd iPad the iPad 2.

Customers don't realize this and were confused by it, is my guess. They went into an Apple store and saw an iPad and iPad 2, not knowing the difference between an iPad (1st generation), New iPad and iPad (4th generation).

Now Apple has made it simpler by selling an iPad 2 and iPad Air.

What Apple does with the next iPad Air will be telling.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
The name annoys me. They took an iPad and made it lighter, thinner and faster, which they should do every couple years to begin with.

You're not entitled to a lighter and thinner device. Apple does it to innovate not to piss you off with a name. Ever think there will be a pro version?

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Nice. Still would have been better to have pre-orders and have them delivered to your home on Friday. But I'm guessing they want the in-store rush.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
I think Apple should retire the iPad 2 honestly and move on so developers can focus on the latest... I think the reason Apple keeps the iPad 2 around is because the iPad mini shares the same screen as the iPad 2.

The only reason Apple keeps it around is because they are making money off of it.

----------

What about supplies for the pencil?

I'm waiting for the Pencil Air.

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas

The name implies an impending iPad Pro product which will exist alongside the iPad Air product line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.