Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
I'm currently at 16GB in my 09 and would like a little more breathing room. I'm thinking of swapping out a 4GB for a 8GB but I remember reading somewhere on here that the Pros run optimally on 3 sticks instead of all 4. Is this true and should I even bother with it?

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I have a 2012 5,1 and from what I researched, the Mac Pro has a 3 channel memory controller and was most efficient with just 3 banks (6 banks for dual processor) of RAM populated.

Mine came with 3 banks of 4GB modules on each CPU and I initially added a fourth for each, but I eventually exchanged them for 8GB modules, 3 for each CPU.

If someone has different information, I would like to know as well....

-howard

I guess I only answered your direct question regarding optimal memory configuration ... but I agree with the rest of the posters below that in reality you probably won't notice the difference when using the computer.

Last edited:

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
I think you will find that the triple channel setup is only few percentage points ahead of four dimms.

If you use a lot of your ram at once, more is better than faster.

Last edited:

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Yes adding an extra dimm would disable triple channel but as posted your talking very small percentages that you would only worry about if you were running your maching at 100% constantly number crunching.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I went from using all 4 slots to using only 3. I saw no difference in normal usage. No doubt 3 is faster if you are using a benchmarking program to test for that, but it's undetectable to me. Adding more memory (if you're running short) will provide more performance in daily use than the 3 vs. 4 sticks of ram difference.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
If there are two machines in front of you, one with triple channel and one without, you would never be able to tell the difference unless you opened the side panel and looked.

Tutor

macrumors 65816
I think you will find that the triple channel setup is only few percentage points ahead of four dimms.

If you use a lot of your ram at once, more is better than faster.

The nMP is quad channel. The Nehalem and Westmere Macs (as well as other LGA 1366 systems) were triple channel. It'll just depend on what you do whether getting that quad (with 12 gigs of ram - does any company make 3 gig chips?) w/o an extra stick will be problematic, if any. The hex probably will have 4by4 gigs to yield 16 gigs..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.