Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hockeyman94

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
California
I just received my iPhone 5s and whenever I hit the home button it has a very loud distinct click. Is this normal for all iPhone 5s or did I get a dud?

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
The 5S home button is louder and clicker, so yes, it's most likely normal.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Another home button topic. :D

Yes, the home button is redesigned and more sturdy/rigid.

It's completely normal that the click is more pronounced. I happen to love the new home button feel. I hate soft push buttons. Now it's completely clear that it's been pressed.

Last edited:

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
I just received my iPhone 5s and whenever I hit the home button it has a very loud distinct click. Is this normal for all iPhone 5s or did I get a dud?

Mostly normal. Do a search to find loads of posts on this sound starting from the iPhone 5 to the iPhone 5S

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
My iPhone 5 is nice and quite. Im considering returning it and getting a different one.

Another poster already alluded to the fact that the iPhone 5s home button is louder and more clicky than previous iPhones. I doubt you'll find an iPhone 5s that is quiet. I checked the ones at my local Apple Store and they all felt quite clicky (and all of them had rattling power buttons too). Seems to be a result of the new home button construction.

Jason1978

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2013
I had one 5s that didn't have the loud clicking noise. Actually I don't even think it had it at all. Too bad I had to replace it for other reasons :/

My replacement phone click is way louder.

S

syd430

My iPhone 5 is nice and quite. Im considering returning it and getting a different one.

They're all like that. It's been posted x1000 in this forum and I think about 3 times in this thread, but sure go ahead and exchange it for another one. This forum cracks me up.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Even the ones that aren't clicking, they will. Any button with usage will soften and get a little louder over time. My 5s clicks a little, it's no big deal. :)

hallidc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2013
Every 5S i laid my hands on had the loud clicking, including mine. It almost sounds like the "pop" when you press the dome on the board game Trouble.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
Every year there's some ridiculous complaint with the new models. And it's not limited to iPhones. Go take a look in any other forum on this site when a new model is released and you'll see the same garbage. Just because something is different doesn't mean that it's worse. So the button makes a clicky sound when it didn't previously. In what way does that detract from the functionality of the device?

manuelcalavera

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2013
Every year there's some ridiculous complaint with the new models. And it's not limited to iPhones. Go take a look in any other forum on this site when a new model is released and you'll see the same garbage. Just because something is different doesn't mean that it's worse. So the button makes a clicky sound when it didn't previously. In what way does that detract from the functionality of the device?

First couple of clicks is like there's something under the home button but after that, the home button acts normally. Is this something that is "different" ? It's more like a defect.

And it drives me crazy!

Reactions: mich_e_basta

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
First couple of clicks is like there's something under the home button but after that, the home button acts normally. Is this something that is "different" ? It's more like a defect.

And it drives me crazy!

It's not a defect just because you don't like it. It's only a defect if it functions differently than the way Apple intended. Considering everyone is reporting that every 5s is like this, I think it's pretty clear that this is intended. Unless your home button is somehow different than everyone else's, your choices are to live with it or get a different phone.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
yes

yes, the overall FEEL and QUALITY of all this stuff has been going down. I think in an effort to increase or KEEP margins, both apple and their list of suppliers have moved the quality needle down a tad, and tried to just keep sales and numbers up. The feel of the buttons, rocker switches, screen quality etc., in the Gen 1 products and even the new versions like 3Gs, then 4, were better overall than the 5/5s. Same is true for some of the macbook screens and things.

Reactions: mich_e_basta

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
The iPhone 5 home button is the same as all previous generations of the iPhone. 5s is the first to be different.

My on/off button is shallower; is this normal also?

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
I actually like the click noise. It's more confirmation on how many times I've clicked. Older buttons would often seem like I've clicked twice, but I've really only clicked once. Happens often in the car.

manuelcalavera

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2013
It's not a defect just because you don't like it. It's only a defect if it functions differently than the way Apple intended. Considering everyone is reporting that every 5s is like this, I think it's pretty clear that this is intended. Unless your home button is somehow different than everyone else's, your choices are to live with it or get a different phone.

So when all the 5Ss were out of calibration, it was not defect, right ? Just because ALL of the 5Ss needed a fix ? Or color chipping in iPhone 5 was ok because it happened to all product line ?

Button has a definition. EVERY button should act like a button. It needs a click, and that click is sometimes louder. We are all agree about that. But "imagine" there is a kinda button, that "if you press it after half an hour" it feels like there is something under it, keeping it from smooth move. This button, acts like every other button after a couple ( or more ) presses. And it will be ok if you press it again after 2 minutes. If it takes longer, it gets that weird feeling again.

I'm OK with it, if there is a new kind of button mechanism that act like this, but believe me, no button should feel like that.

atlatnesiti

Suspended
Sep 4, 2008
Sydney, Australia
All iPhones 5s have a "clicky" home button, it is due to new design - finger print scanner, outer ring and Safire top.
Get over it guys, it still works the way it always did, but now with the bonus of click ;)
It certainly doesn't affect it's functionality...

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.