Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Oct 28, 2013, 04:11 PM   #1
iamthedudeman
macrumors 65816

Stop it with the "do I need 16GB of ram threads please'.

Why spend $200 on something you don't know you need or not? Just in case is a silly reason and not worth your $200.

Now more than ever there is every reason 'not' to upgrade the ram with Mavericks.

Read this and then tell me everyone should get upgraded ram 'just because they might need it'.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/...d-battery-life

Buy apple care with your $200. Or a better processor. Both of which will benefit you 'now' not four years from now. If you need the ram and you know it then by all means buy it. But not because "i might need it 4 years from now.

If you don't know you need it you probably don't.
iamthedudeman is offline   18
Old Oct 28, 2013, 04:15 PM   #2
Leudast
macrumors member

Yeah, professionals and people who know their business will know if they need 16 gigs.

If you're unsure, you probably don't. Also, you're probably someone with more money than sense and mommy and daddy can buy you next years model anyways.
Leudast is offline   3
Old Oct 28, 2013, 04:20 PM   #3
Orlandoech
macrumors 68040

Thank you!

If you're unsure, you probably don't need it.

If you question it, you probably don't need it.

If you have to ask others if you need it, you probably don't need it.

AMEN
Orlandoech is offline   8
Old Oct 28, 2013, 04:47 PM   #4
Count Blah
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandoech.com View Post
Thank you!

If you're unsure, you probably don't need it.

If you question it, you probably don't need it.

If you have to ask others if you need it, you probably don't need it.

AMEN
If you plan on doing something more intensive than you are currently using, you MAY need it.

And there is the rub. You MUST decide now, for an unknown future. Thanks uncle Tim for forcing us into this situation.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 04:53 PM   #5
ROLLTIDE1
macrumors 65816

You need to get 16 gigs
ROLLTIDE1 is offline   6
Old Oct 28, 2013, 04:54 PM   #6
daneoni
macrumors G4

You can never have too much RAM Mavericks.

A stitch in time saves now. Better to have too much Ram than too little or just enough for now.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 05:07 PM   #7
Orlandoech
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Blah View Post
If you plan on doing something more intensive than you are currently using, you MAY need it.

And there is the rub. You MUST decide now, for an unknown future. Thanks uncle Tim for forcing us into this situation.
I agree, I do with it wasn't like this, but it is. But if you think you will need it... you're probably not a "power user" and dont need it.

Sure, by all means, get it if you can afford it because it will usually help the re-sell value if you plan on selling it.
Orlandoech is offline   0
Old Oct 28, 2013, 05:16 PM   #8
marc55
macrumors 6502

Well, Mavericks might only need 8GB, but for those who plan on hanging onto their rMBP for awhile, who knows how memory intensive future OSX's will be. Wouldn't it be better to be on the safe side?
marc55 is offline   0
Old Oct 28, 2013, 05:18 PM   #9
mankymanning
macrumors regular

I know what people are saying here but if what you are doing today works okay in 8GB *but only just* then it is worth going to 16GB purely because you do not know what future versions of OSX will demand.
I generally use all of the 16GB available on my MBPs and I noticed a really big difference between Lion and ML in terms of what the base OS used up. ML was really greedy.
You can't predict how memory intensive the next version of the OS will be so if you can afford it, get 16GB.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 05:20 PM   #10
leman
macrumors 601

I would be already happy if people would stop opening additional threads about this and concentrate on the 123432523 already existing. All I see on the front page are countless variations of 'do I need more RAM? do I need faster CPU? do I need bigger SSD? do I need 15"? do I need dGPU?'.
leman is offline   0
Old Oct 28, 2013, 05:23 PM   #11
iamthedudeman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
You can never have too much RAM Mavericks.

A stitch in time saves now. Better to have too much Ram than too little or just enough for now.

Are you serious? Since when was 8GB 'just enough'? Mavericks uses less ram. You actually need less. 8Gb is a good bit of ram. Espicially with Mavericks.

Re read this again.

In all my years hear, lately the advice on this forum is just plain bad. What is with this 'get the ram' 'get the ram'. Do you realize how much 16gb ram is? literally maybe 10% of this forum might use it. Maybe less. With mavericks much less. I am sure Justin Bieber's fan forum is giving better advice.

Every responce is 'get the ram'. How about asking the person what their uses are. Why do you need it? Would a upgraded processor be better for you? Applecare? Maybe a larger SSD?

A poster on a previous thread asked which processor he should get. The 2.4, the 2.6, or 2.8 for the 13. Most of the responces were get more ram! Lol.

Even after he said he does encoding. Another thread, the poster says money is tight. Responces 'get the ram'. What?

Do you like to just waste money?

I just spent $50000 on upgraded 13's macbook pro's for my business. Bought 30 of them with the upgraded i7 processor. Lots of encoding. Need to be mobile but also need some power. So I went with the i7. Most of my engineers dont need 16 of Ram. Why would someone who don't know if they need it or not need it?

If you need it get it, by all means. But don't get it just because you might need it in the future. Access your needs and get what you need. Believe it or not 8GB will last along time, longer than the life of your computer. With Mavericks way longer.

Really bad advice on here lately.
iamthedudeman is offline   7
Old Oct 28, 2013, 05:24 PM   #12
Orlandoech
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthedudeman View Post
Are you serious? Since when was 8GB 'just enough'? Mavericks uses less ram. You actually need less. 8Gb is a good bit of ram. Espicially with Mavericks.

Re read this again.

In all my years hear, lately the advice on this forum is just plain bad. What is with this 'get the ram' 'get the ram'. Do you realize how much 16gb ram is? literally maybe 10% of this forum might use it. Maybe less. With mavericks much less. I am sure Justin Bieber's fan forum is giving better advice.

Every responce is 'get the ram'. How about asking the person what their uses are. Why do you need it? Would a upgraded processor be better for you? Applecare? Maybe a larger SSD?

A poster on a previous thread asked which processor he should get. The 2.4, the 2.6, or 2.8 for the 13. Most of the responces were get more ram! Lol.

Even after he said he does encoding. Another thread, the poster says money is tight. Responces 'get the ram'. What?

Do you like to just waste money?

I just spent $50000 on upgraded 13's macbook pro's for my business. Bought 30 of them with the upgraded i7 processor. Lots of encoding. Need to be mobile but also need some power. So I went with the i7. Most of my engineers dont need 16 of Ram. Why would someone who don't know if they need it or not need it?

If you need it get it, by all means. But don't get it just because you might need it in the future. Access your needs and get what you need. Believe it or not 8GB will last along time, longer than the life of your computer. With Mavericks way longer.

Really bad advice on here lately.

My hero for the day.

I find it funny that 4GB of memory was sufficient for a long while, then all the sudden 8GB wasn't but 16GB was. Thats a huge jump, 8GB is plenty sufficient for the majority of users on this forum, let alone majority of users that buy MacBook Pro's.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 05:32 PM   #13
iamthedudeman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankymanning View Post
I know what people are saying here but if what you are doing today works okay in 8GB *but only just* then it is worth going to 16GB purely because you do not know what future versions of OSX will demand.
I generally use all of the 16GB available on my MBPs and I noticed a really big difference between Lion and ML in terms of what the base OS used up. ML was really greedy.
You can't predict how memory intensive the next version of the OS will be so if you can afford it, get 16GB.
There is a difference there. If you know your are getting by with 8gb
'but only just' get it. If you need it get it. If you don't know you need it you probably don't. You are the minority on here if you use 16GB of ram. Not the majority.

My engineers may use it, but they make comericals with CGI! And they don't use it that often, I asked them many times. They have 32GB avail.

But there is a problem with what you are saying. We do know how much ram Mavericks will use.

iamthedudeman is offline   0
Old Oct 28, 2013, 05:32 PM   #14
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
What's wrong with this?

Hello friends,

I am in need of advice. I am a computer user and require a new computer. I will be using Mail and have 9 iTunes songs I will listen to. I am not sure if I should purchase the 16gb RAM version or not. Also, should I get the 2.6ghz model with the 650m video card for smoother iTunes visualizations. I think my iBook from 2004 is fast enough, but should I get a hexacore Mac Pro instead?
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   8
Old Oct 28, 2013, 05:36 PM   #15
GSPice
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Blah View Post
Thanks uncle Tim for forcing us into this situation.
Remember when "expandable memory" on PDAs and smartphones was a thing?

You should really do a bit of an analysis on the historical cost of ram, notebook depreciation, and other costs of upgrading. (Gonna upgrade my upgradable notebook from 4 to 8GB! Oops, what am I gonna do with these 2GB sticks? Sell them! Oh wait..)

You'd be surprised how "forced" you feel after knowing the true cost of owning an "expandable" device.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejadedmonkey View Post
Hello friends,

I am in need of advice. I am a computer user and require a new computer. I will be using Mail and have 9 iTunes songs I will listen to. I am not sure if I should purchase the 16gb RAM version or not. Also, should I get the 2.6ghz model with the 650m video card for smoother iTunes visualizations. I think my iBook from 2004 is fast enough, but should I get a hexacore Mac Pro instead?
Hello friend, wait for Broadwell.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 05:37 PM   #16
Orlandoech
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Hello friends,

Yes, yes you should.

Maybe even an octa-core.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 05:39 PM   #17
Meister
macrumors Demi-God

I have the Haswell 2.4 8gb/256gb.

I just ran as a test simultaneously:
Safari (12tabs), Netflix in chrome, iBooksAuthor, Pages, MS Word, AppStore and iTunes open, edited two small 720p youtube clips in iMovie while working on an image in photoshop (220mb), running vpn in the back

http://s18.postimg.org/fwgyqiuxl/Scr...1_20_36_PM.png

I had no lag. Everything worked smooth.

This is what memory looked like:
http://s8.postimg.org/eez8dl9kl/Scre...1_20_58_PM.png

And here is battery:
http://s23.postimg.org/7il6ckumj/Scr...1_21_22_PM.png

I will also give it a try with 4gigs / 256 on the mba later.
Meister is offline   3
Old Oct 28, 2013, 05:41 PM   #18
leman
macrumors 601

Quote:
Hello friends,

I am not sure about that, but you certainly should get 1TB SSD. In few years you might have found 9 new iTunes songs and then you will regret that you didn't upgrade.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister View Post

Safari (12tabs), Netflix in chrome, iBooksAuthor, Pages, MS Word, AppStore and iTunes open, edited two small 720p youtube clips in iMovie while working on an image in photoshop (220mb), running vpn in the back
Bravo!
leman is offline   1
Old Oct 28, 2013, 05:56 PM   #19
iamthedudeman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Hello friends,

Hahahaha.

(Damn you to hell now I have coffee in my nose!)

Last edited by iamthedudeman; Oct 28, 2013 at 06:05 PM.
iamthedudeman is offline   3
Old Oct 28, 2013, 05:59 PM   #20
cmmaia
macrumors newbie

Exclamation

IMO I also think that if you have to ask, chances are you don't need 16GB of RAM. Or an upgraded CPU. Or even a larger SSD (1TB) to get extra 150MB/s, only noticeable on benchmarks, not on daily use.

A power user (running VM, Adobe Premiere and After Effects, doing lots of encoding, etc) knows that (s)he'll benefit from extra RAM and/or CPU frequency/cache. (S)he just has to establish a rationale regarding the price/performance ratio.

Running 10 or 15 tabs on safari and using iTunes while you type on Pages doesn't make you a power user. It's something that is expected by Apple by the average joe to do, and so leaves upgraded parts available to whoever has the money to burn and thinks they might get real benefit from upgrading (which *might* be true for some people, the real power user who knows what (s)he's doing).

I, for one, can't get over the fact that it costs far too much to make almost any kind of upgrade. Pay $100 for an extra 200Mhz and 100Mhz on Iris' clock? Or $200/300 whatever for the i7? They are the same tech, just upgraded parts which will encode a few seconds faster... Would I notice? Possibly. Would I benefit? Surely. At what price? Not at what Apple's asking, not worth it for me because I run said programs once in a while and won't benefit from it regularly. Some might want to shell for it (wheter out of necessity or extra cash hanging), so please just do!

Future proofing IMO is spending one's money wisely so that one can get a head start right away for a future need, i.e.: if I don't really need the i7, I've just saved $300, and if I don't need 16GB I've saved $200. That's $500 right there (or roughly 1/3 of a new MBP) which may be used on a future upgrade (new mac) on 4-5 year's time for instance.

16GB is a lot of RAM. While I concur that it's soldered and that it's the best upgrade one can make to a computer, it's still a lot for the average user, especially the one who has to ask. Also, with PCIe SSD storage any swap needed is much less noticeable. Not desirable, yes, but much more manageable.

On the storage side, I think it boils down to what you need to carry on the notebook itself, rather than on external drives. Expensive or cheap, it's what the user needs and so there's not much rationale here IMO.

This is just my opinion and I respect other's point of view. I just cannot see much benefit earned for the cost of it. It's not like we're upgrading a dual-core to a quad-core...

It makes me wonder if the MBP was available with 64GB people would start thinking about future proofing because in 10 years time a 32GB machine would me unbeareable... By that time, current CPU tech will be ancient and one would surely have upgraded because it can't cope with 8K encoding/editing/whatever.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 06:01 PM   #21
raybies
macrumors member

Quote:
I am sure Justin Bieber's fan forum is giving better advice.
Justin Bieber says we need 32GB + 1TB SSD.

NOW Seriously n00bs: If you're experiencing sluggish performance with 2GB or even 4GB, to fix the problem follow these simple tips:

1.- Close a program you're not using.
2.- Close a 2nd program you're not using.
3.- Close a 3rd program you're not using.
4.- If you're sequencing a Baboons gnome, maybe you might want to just reduce the set size to ~512MB.

iTunes and Safari will never be sluggish bcos of RAM, bcos they're happy using virtual memory.

Last edited by raybies; Oct 28, 2013 at 06:07 PM.
raybies is offline   1
Old Oct 28, 2013, 06:03 PM   #22
iamthedudeman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister View Post

I had no lag. Everything worked smooth.

This is what memory looked like:

And here is battery:

I will also give it a try with 4gigs / 256 on the mba later.
Is this in mavericks? I assume it is. I would think that it would be much more than that. I wonder how much the compression is playing a role here under mavericks if that is what you are using.

This is alot of usage all at once!

Thanks for that that, should be a good gauge for someone deciding on how much ram they need.

On a seriouse note. Mods: Can we have a thread on Rams needs and uses for help for people that need it instead of having 30+ threads on the same topic?

Like the SSD thread? Or the bought my new/refurb mbp.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 06:08 PM   #23
Meister
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Is this in mavericks? I assume it is. I would think that it would be much more than that. I wonder how much the compression is playing a role here under mavericks if that is what you are using.

This is alot of usage all at once!

Thanks for that that, should be a good gauge for someone deciding on how much ram they need.

On a seriouse note. Mods: Can we have a thread on Rams needs and uses for help for people that need it instead of having 30+ threads on the same topic?

Like the SSD thread? Or the bought my new/refurb mbp.
Of course its mavericks its the new rmbp.
You can see the compression in the memory activity image.
I seriously doubt that many people have use for 16gb.
Meister is offline   0
Old Oct 28, 2013, 06:09 PM   #24
iamthedudeman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybies View Post
Justin Bieber says we need 32GB + 1TB SSD.
Hahahahah.

I can't enjoy my coffee! Damn you! (dillon) You son of a bitch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txuWGoZF3ew
Old Oct 28, 2013, 06:10 PM   #25
JayCee842
macrumors 6502a

I understand you're annoyed, but you can easily ignore the threads. There are people out there who really need the advice and that is why they come here. There is nothing wrong with that. If it's bothering you just ignore the post.
JayCee842 is offline   2

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland