Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mapple4051

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2013
So I have a chance to buy a used

2013 rMBP, 2.4 ghz, 512g SSD, 16g RAM for $1900 (no tax)
Or
New rMBP with Iris pro for $2000+tax

Performance wise which one is better? I will for sure be gaming on it, just don't know much about this new intigrated Iris Pro card. I read up on it and I hear its slower than the 650m. I don't get it? Please help with which one I should buy and why.

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
So I have a chance to buy a used

2013 rMBP, 2.4 ghz, 512g SSD, 16g RAM for $1900 (no tax)
Or
New rMBP with Iris pro for $2000+tax

Performance wise which one is better? I will for sure be gaming on it, just don't know much about this new intigrated Iris Pro card. I read up on it and I hear its slower than the 650m. I don't get it? Please help with which one I should buy and why.

The Iris is slower than the 650m because it's meant to replace the integrated Intel HD 4000, not the dedicated card, such as the 650m or the new 750m.

It is kind of confusing how the new rMBP base model only includes the Iris graphics, no dedicated card. You'd think that means it would be at least on par with the earlier base model, but is more of a downgrade until you pay more for the model that includes the 750m.

So I'd have to think the old model with the the dedicated 650, plus more ram and storage, is a better gaming choice at $100 less than the new base model with half the ram/storage with no dedicated graphics for serious gaming.

Hopefully other people can chime in. As maybe if you are doing lite gaming, the new Iris Pro might handle things decently when you need it, plus the system might run cooler with a longer battery life compared to the old cpu and gpu choices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.