Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZeeDD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Hi guys,

I'm sorry to ask something like that, but I really don't know how to do that...

I would like to do a clean install of Mavericks on my MBA mid 2013. No problem with that part of the process.

My question is: After that clean install, is there a way to restore all apps, settings, etc... from my actual Mavericks install, to that fresh and clean install ? I don't want to re-download all my apps etc...

I have a time machine backup, but I don't know if I can do that kind of thing with TM, or if I need to use migration assistant or another software ?

Thanks a lot for the help !

Franck

ZeeDD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
If you do so, the install is no longer "clean"...

A "clean" install is : installing the OS, then installing the apps, then importing your data, and no importing your settings.

Ok, to be more clear: I would like to do a "selective" app install. I mean to just installing some apps that I want to keep, and not installing others that I never use. Not restoring all the system like a TM restore.

Hope that I'm clear...

navodwickra

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2013
Leeds, UK
Ok, to be more clear: I would like to do a "selective" app install. I mean to just installing some apps that I want to keep, and not installing others that I never use. Not restoring all the system like a TM restore.

Hope that I'm clear...

You can do that via migration assistant. Use a time machine backup to do that. I never restore the system settings though. You can select the apps you want to restore.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Hope that I'm clear...

You cannot selectively move apps in with Migration Assistant. There is a checkbox for Applications, and that's it. So it is all or nothing as far as apps in Migration Assistant.

dAwvoOq.png

Broph

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
New Zealand
You cannot selectively move apps in with Migration Assistant. There is a checkbox for Applications, and that's it. So it is all or nothing as far as apps in Migration Assistant.

Sorry to hijack this a bit, but I have a similar question…

My plan would be to do a clean install, and then selectively restore applications I wanted from my old downloads folder from Time Machine, to my new downloads folder. I would then install them (as all the installers are in the downloads folder). I wouldn't have any troubles with this, right?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

My plan would be to do a clean install, and then selectively restore applications I wanted from my old downloads folder from Time Machine, to my new downloads folder. I would then install them (as all the installers are in the downloads folder). I wouldn't have any troubles with this, right?

Yes, that would work fine. Just manually copy the installer from the TM backup to the drive then run the installer.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY

I don't see any reason why you would have any trouble.

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010

Hope that I'm clear...

Would it be easier to delete all the unwanted apps, etc. from your existing installation, then do another TM backup?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.