Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iwatch_2.png
LG Display is reportedly close to a deal with Apple to provide OLED displays for the upcoming iWatch, according to The Korea Herald (via Unwired View). The report also states that RITEK subsidary RiTdisplay will be the other primary display supplier in addition to LG for the smartwatch. Samsung was also said to have met with Apple over becoming a potential supplier for the iWatch, but discussions between the two companies were reportedly "not productive". A report from May stated that Apple had begun sampling 1.5-inch OLED displays from RiTdisplay for the iWatch, as Apple had also hired a senior OLED expert from LG Display this past February.
"Instead of relying on one supplier for its iWatch, which will be unveiled next year, Apple will have two vendors to be safe. The key provider will be RiTDisplay and LG Display will be the second," Seoul-based HMC Investment Securities' analyst Kim Young-woo said. "Japan Display might also be a candidate, but so far its capacity seems lacking."
Apple has been long rumored to be working on the iWatch, which is expected to serve as an accessory to the iPhone and other iOS devices, giving users easy at-a-glance access to common functions along with additional biometric integration. Apple CEO Tim Cook stated in Apple's fourth quarter earnings call yesterday that the company still plans on introducing new product categories within 2014, which is a likely timeframe for the release of the iWatch as previously indicated by sources of the Financial Times as well as supply chain insiders familiar with the matter.

Article Link: Apple Close to Striking Deal with LG Display for iWatch OLED Displays

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Phew, I thought that was going to say "next iPhone" then. No OLED's for me on phones please.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Hopefully we'll see something roll out, I think this product (and the iTV or what ever it will be called) has been waiting too long. Other competitors are catching up

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Unless they can cut the power consumption dramatically, or have some very clever battery technologies, I'd want an e-ink display with a backlight (if it's dark). I hope they know that a watch is going to be useless if the battery doesn't last long. Samsung proved it with the gear.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
This needs to be a mix of Apple iWatch and Nike Fuelband.

Otherwise it has "niche" written all over it.

The quantified self movement is the future.

knightlie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Hopefully we'll see something roll out, I think this product (and the iTV or what ever it will be called) has been waiting too long. Other competitors are catching up

If the Galaxy Gear is any measure of how far those competitors have caught up, I think Apple are fine for now...

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Yeah, it needs to be sleek so it doesn't look geeky and ridiculous.

This! Based on what's out there now, I hope Apple see's what not to do... don't have 1 day battery life. Don't make it huge. Don't pack it with obvious features... give us something new and useful.... give us a reason for a smart watch to exist besides being a novelty.

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
This! Based on what's out there now, I hope Apple see's what not to do... don't have 1 day battery life. Don't make it huge. Don't pack it with obvious features... give us something new and useful.... give us a reason for a smart watch to exist besides being a novelty.

I haven't worn a watch for 2 years. My iPhone 4S took that job over. I am curious to know what utility Apple thinks a smartwatch has for the end user. We'll see in 2014!

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
If they can get rid of the blue tint on OLEDS, increase viewing angles, increase the brightness without a huge battery impact, and calibrate them to proper sRGB standards, then I'm all for OLEDs.

haha, just a few things then. I don't like the look of them to my eyes, also I hate white text on black backgrounds and you NEED to do that or it'll kill the battery. Much rather have 1/3rd of the battery power it takes to run iOS than it would with an OLED screen pushing all that white.

ZenErik

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
Massachusetts
If they can get rid of the blue tint on OLEDS, increase viewing angles, increase the brightness without a huge battery impact, and calibrate them to proper sRGB standards, then I'm all for OLEDs.
And get rid of the black blotches that are very common and very noticeable on darker screens.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I haven't worn a watch for 2 years. My iPhone 4S took that job over. I am curious to know what utility Apple thinks a smartwatch has for the end user. We'll see in 2014!

Oh geez. Will this line of thought never cease? The poor horse is so mutilated -- is there even anything left to kick?

(If your imagination can take you no further than to see a watch as only a timepiece or jewelery just accept the fact you are not a creative person and think linearly. No shame in that, everyone is widely differently. It's what makes us all unique. But don't beat up people b/c they can think differently and reinvent and update a common object for modern life.)

Ventilatedbrain

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2012
This needs to be a mix of Apple iWatch and Nike Fuelband.

Otherwise it has "niche" written all over it.

The quantified self movement is the future.

Couldn't agree more.. I think the ''smart watch'' isn't actually a ''watch' per se. I think more in line with the Nike Fuel Band , Jawbone, fitibit etc with a twist and can tell time...knowing apple it will be discrete enough to not be brash but nice enough to be worn everywhere

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.