Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeegnesh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
I wanted to get the iphone 5 defender case for a 5S, because I like the extra protection the 5 case has over the 5S, i was worried about control center, but it seems its just technique from what I have read elsewhere.

What I was interested to find out though from iphone 5 defender case owners, if you lift the button rubber away, can your finger reach the home button, i was thinking about cutting the rubber off so that I could still use the touch ID unlock, but for that i need my fingers print to be able to touch the home button, and i wasn't sure if there was sufficient room.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Last edited:

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
My question is can I use a "5" Otterbox Defender case, which I have, on a 5S? I have no intention of using the damned fingerprint sensor.

jeegnesh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
My question is can I use a "5" Otterbox Defender case, which I have, on a 5S? I have no intention of using the damned fingerprint sensor.

I have read people have done this and it is fine, as physically the phones are the same. Some say u have to press the home button down a bit further as the 5s home button is a little more recessed or stiffer.

If you have the 5 case and the 5s phone, any chance you could try answering my question that if u move the rubber cover off will fingerprint still work?

jeegnesh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
Anyone?

Will finger print still reach if the rubber is not there? Can home button still be depressed?

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Anyone?

Will finger print still reach if the rubber is not there? Can home button still be depressed?

I don't have any firsthand experiences with cases as I always have my iPhone naked. However, reading some case reviews and whatnot, those with a front screen integrated with the case have a special/thinner material around the home button. This, of course, is to ensure that TouchID will still work. While the iPhone 5 cases are cheaper, they probably won't have the same material around the home button. Cases that are 5/5S are interchangeable with a 5, but sometimes, it isn't for the 5S.

jeegnesh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
I;m not concerned about the price difference, both models can he had elsewhere for decent money.

As mentioned I just have a preference or feel the 5 case offers more protection, however I don't want to forgo touchid unlock as that was one of the main reasons for me moving to the 5s

reed857

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2013
I;m not concerned about the price difference, both models can he had elsewhere for decent money.

As mentioned I just have a preference or feel the 5 case offers more protection, however I don't want to forgo touchid unlock as that was one of the main reasons for me moving to the 5s

I bought the iphone5 case without thinking much (for 7.99 @ woot.com) and then I went and got the 5s.

Case is great, but I started to like the touch id feature while I was waiting on the case to show up. with that said I tried multiple ways to try to get the case to work and still use the touch id. you can get it to work if you pull the home rubber back, but its not perfect and its annoying and defeats the purpose for me. I was thinking about cutting back the rubber and using a dremmel to smooth the rest of it down so its easier to use.

Worst case if this doesn't work I will get the preserver or the fre. hope this info helped.

also anyone know if there is a good walk through of altering the 5 case? thanks.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012

Yes, i do works fine. The control center works if you push up near the left of the home button. I don't us ID either, pain in the but.
If i was buying new i would get the 5S one though.

sandeeppathak

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2013
Hey Jignesh

So did u try it is it working as it should please confirm I m also thinking to buy a 5 defender case rather than 5s case

jeegnesh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
Hey Jignesh

So did u try it is it working as it should please confirm I m also thinking to buy a 5 defender case rather than 5s case
I was a bit eager, was doing my research early as I got a few trips where my nice looking case will not do the job. i have added it to my stocking filler list, so I can let you know but it will be some time still, sorry. Current amazon price for the case seems worth the risk anyway.

sandeeppathak

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2013
hey I ordered the case and what it seems as per my conversation with retailer is that touch id would work with the index finger but you have to take of the rubber each time ,

I shall receive the case by Friday max so I can let you know if you want about how it goes

I think i can live with using the touch id with index finger by removing teh rubber.... lets c

jeegnesh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
hey I ordered the case and what it seems as per my conversation with retailer is that touch id would work with the index finger but you have to take of the rubber each time ,

I shall receive the case by Friday max so I can let you know if you want about how it goes

I think i can live with using the touch id with index finger by removing teh rubber.... lets c

Yes please I would most likely plan to cut the rubber but I hope it's more then just index finger, touch id was one of my reasons for upgrading to a 5s or so I told myself

Knockworstface

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2013
I returned the case for the 5s and exchanged it for the case for the iPhone 5. Better protection and if I want to use the fingerprint sensor I could just cut the rubber home button protector off and still have the bottom of the phone protected which the case for the 5s doesn't offer.

sandeeppathak

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2013
I returned the case for the 5s and exchanged it for the case for the iPhone 5. Better protection and if I want to use the fingerprint sensor I could just cut the rubber home button protector off and still have the bottom of the phone protected which the case for the 5s doesn't offer.

Have u tried it I am yet to receive my case however could u please post some pics or may be a video how touch if works by removing the rubber

Thanks

sandeeppathak

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2013
Ok so I got my case today yes it works without any issue

For now I am not using the touch I'd however if u want to use it u better cut the rubber it will be better

jeegnesh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
Ok so I got my case today yes it works without any issue

For now I am not using the touch I'd however if u want to use it u better cut the rubber it will be better

Thanks buddy, all this recent talk made me order the case. However glad to hear that, is that any finger or index finger only as described above.

jeegnesh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
Ok got me case, good protective casing as I wanted, as for cutting out the home rubber button I'm not going to do it because touchid will not work for my thumb, works for the other fingers but thumb is what gets used most to unlock and not enough of my fat thumb will touch the surface area. So I'll just forgo touchid when I use that case for specific activities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.