Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Oculus VR is developing a mobile version of its Oculus Rift headset that will be compatible with iOS devices, according to CEO Brendan Iribe who announced the news during VentureBeat's GamesBeat 2013 conference. News of a potential mobile-compatible Oculus Rift originally surfaced earlier this year, when Iribe suggested the company was excited about the rapid development of cellphone technology.

First introduced via Kickstarter last summer, Oculus Rift is a virtual reality head-mounted display that is designed to offer a fully immersive gaming experience.

While current prototypes are designed to work with PCs and Macs, the company plans to launch a mobile version at the same time the PC version hits the market. According to Iribe, the initial mobile version of the Oculus Rift will work solely with iOS devices as Android is not designed to work with virtual reality. The iOS-compatible Oculus Rift will be lighter than the standard version and will utilize the mobile device's processor.
"We have some exciting plans on the mobile VR side as the PC VR side," Iribe said. "We're really looking at hitting the consumer market. We're very excited about what we're seeing. Skeptical about how good mobile VR could be on such a small platform. It's pretty incredible what [John Carmack has] been able to do."
At the current point in time, the Oculus Rift remains in development. Oculus VR has sent out a number of dev kits to Mac and PC developers, but a specific release date has not yet been announced. According to a July interview with Brandon Iribe, the company is aiming for a 2014 launch.

Update: Oculus VR has contacted VentureBeat to clarify that the mobile version of Oculus Rift is being developed for Android, not iOS.

Article Link: Oculus Rift Virtual Reality Headset Coming to iOS Devices [Update: No]

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
Cute the theme song to Rocky!!!! Awesome!

I knew Carmack would bring this to iOS. He will be the guy to drive this thing to perfection.

UPDATE: John Carmack has failed us all and nothing is good in the world.

Last edited:

Bearxor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
How, exactly, is Android "not designed to work with virtual reality" but iOS is?

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
How, exactly, is Android "not designed to work with virtual reality" but iOS is?

Bluetooth 4 is not widely supported on Android device. Also, iOS devices all have several MPUs and I don't think Android devices have any (Magical Processing Units, that is ;))

InfernoShade

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2010
New Jersey, USA
Cue the shocked and outraged Android users who said this would only be on Android.

Update: Ok, I just read the article. Looks like it was link bait. So everyone should feel outrage.

Last edited:

scottishwildcat

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
Wow, the nausea-inducing visual effects of iOS7 run through the latest headache-incuding "no, look, VR really works this time even though it's still just stereoscopy rather than actual 3D" device? That should be quite the experience.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I've been following the Oculus Rift for a while now; I'd be super stoked to see a solid iOS solution arise.

VR is really lagging when compared to all the advancements in other technologies throughout the last few decades. I really hope to see Oculus change and revolutionize that.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Ever since the 1990's, I have read so many stories about the latest and greatest VR solutions that are going to change the face of gaming and hardly any of these products get to market. At the moment, its pure vapourware until the public can get their hands on it.

topdrawer

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2012
yeah, this is gonna go the way of the virtual boy.

even if it's really good, few will be willing to wear this.

jsd

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2003
Orange, CA
This article is incorrect

VentureBeat misquoted Iribe. The device will be Android-only. They've updated their article.

As for you skeptics: I have an Oculus Rift, and it's the best new device I've used since the original iPhone. It gets the same kind of reactions when I demo, and feels like a real change coming, unlike the Glass or some gimmicky motion controller.

codefuns

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
Bluetooth 4 is not widely supported on Android device. Also, iOS devices all have several MPUs and I don't think Android devices have any (Magical Processing Units, that is ;))

do you think pc or mac has mpu? if that device need mpu function, it need build 'mpu' inside the device.

vanfanel1

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2009
yeah, this is gonna go the way of the virtual boy.

even if it's really good, few will be willing to wear this.

I have an oculus dev kit and it is not even remotely close to what a virtual boy is. If that is your reference or even the old 90's VR games then you'll be in quite a shock when you see how far VR has come. I actually had a coworker come by who knew nothing about the rift aside it being a VR headset. He also expected some virtual boy experience. When he put it on he was all smiles and giggles. He was completely floored by what he was seeing and was eager to order one himself.

I've demo'd my unit to over 100 people and the most skeptical are always the most easily turned once they try it out.

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
Android is not designed to work with virtual reality.
Get on the line to all the iOS Fanboys across the world!

Tell 'em how to bring those sons'a'bitches down!

10500-22068.jpg

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
I've tried one of these. They really are immersive. The problem I, and many others, have had is the low resolution, which has already been fixed with the newest dev kits.

Obviously these won't work for every game, but sims and first person games will be awesome. Excited for this gaming revolution!

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA

Probably a very simple business decision.... focus on one platform first... Android has too many variables in hardware and software... with Apple they can focus on one OS and limited hardware variations. Much easier to develop for 4-5 variations than 100. Also... where's the money? Seems to be in Apple's court for most developers.

One Bad Duck

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2005
iOS Oculus

I'm sorry but whats the point in having it on iOS devices. What are you going to do, pop it on whilst you're driving to work or walking down the street?

Lol no thanks.

Nothing says I don't want to talk on the train like someone with headphones in and VR screen over their eyes. Easy to pickpocket HA..

Mind you, it would bring a new meaning to "Face"Time on video calling. It'd be like chatting to the big head in the Apple 1984 TV advert except the face is one of your mates.

...But twin this with a window in the front and those transparent displays and you've got Augmented VR. An iPhone could run that.

Last edited:

vanfanel1

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2009
Re-read the venturebeat article. They've corrected their mistake. It's android only and no mention of iOS. Palmer has already said that he'd like to develop a HMD for iOS devices but the closed system makes it impossible.

ziggie216

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
I refuse to play any creepy games w/ these VR headset.. I would definitely jump out of my seat

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.