Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
CA
Hello,
I am looking for a good, fast video converter that's preferably free.

On recommendation of a friend I tried Miro video converter, but I noticed it's taking a while to convert AVI to AppleTV friendly format.
when I look at the processes in activity monitor it's only using 309% of the CPU so I got 54% idle processor sitting there being lazy
being that I'm on my new Retina MacBook Pro, I want to kick it up a notch if possible

thanks

Corrosive vinyl

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2006
That is kind of a "can of worms" question where everyone has their own opinions. To me the two 'go to' apps for video conversion, etc. are: handbrake and VLC Media Player.

Check out the VLC segment on this episode of Tekzilla for step by step instructions for conversion and other useful things.

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
CA
That is kind of a "can of worms" question where everyone has their own opinions. To me the two 'go to' apps for video conversion, etc. are: handbrake and VLC Media Player.

Check out the VLC segment on this episode of Tekzilla for step by step instructions for conversion and other useful things.

lol, i didn't realize thats a hot button issue :S
il check those out but i'm still open to other suggestions

thanks

Peterlyn

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2013
Hello,
On recommendation of a friend I tried Miro video converter, but I noticed it's taking a while to convert AVI to AppleTV friendly format.
when I look at the processes in activity monitor it's only using 309% of the CPU so I got 54% idle processor sitting there being lazy

Give video converter here a shot, it has presets to convert avi files to ATV friendly format. You do not need to set the output parameters.

I have used this in the past and works well.

mrderik

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2010
Alaska
I have several including all the above on my machine, but I pretty much exclusively use iSkysoft at this point, it's just the most simple, and also 'merges' multiple audio files into a single mp3 quick and easy - which I use alot. It's deinterlace setting is a little obtuse. But other wise most basic tasks are fast and simple. Drag a 'DVD' image from your desktop into the window, chose what you want the output res to be (or what kind of device you're going to play it on for the setting challenged) and hit go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.