Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
... no more spinning Time Machine icon. :( Yeah, it's a small nit but it makes you wonder what dumb-ass coder brought this up at a team meeting and insisted it needed to be changed.

That's it for me. Carry on folks!

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
... no more spinning Time Machine icon. :( Yeah, it's a small nit but it makes you wonder what dumb-ass coder brought this up at a team meeting and insisted it needed to be changed.

That's it for me. Carry on folks!

I miss the old spinning one as well. It was easy to spot out of the corner of your eye if your currently doing a backup.

I wonder what made them get rid of it.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I turned off Time Machine before the upgrade and haven't turned it on yet. I'm scared my Time Machine is going to explode....

Brad9893

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2010
Hiding Under the Genius Bar
I am pretty sure that it is supposed to be spinning and isn't because a of a bug. When Time Machine is active, the icon changes and it looks like the icon is "trying" to spin but is stuck. I know a friend of mine reported it as a bug to Apple, anyways.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
I am pretty sure that it is supposed to be spinning and isn't because a of a bug. When Time Machine is active, the icon changes and it looks like the icon is "trying" to spin but is stuck. I know a friend of mine reported it as a bug to Apple, anyways.

If you look you'll notice there's an extra little arrow now, which shows when it's updating.

As far as I recall it was in the Developer Previews as well, and it certainly was in the GM build.

Brad9893

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2010
Hiding Under the Genius Bar
If you look you'll notice there's an extra little arrow now, which shows when it's updating.

As far as I recall it was in the Developer Previews as well, and it certainly was in the GM build.

Yes, that's what I was referring to. It always looked so wonky and weird looking to me that I refused to believe it was done on purpose. I guess if it wasn't changed in all of that time it's supposed to be like that then. That's sad IMO. The spinning was a great little touch.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
I suspect that it is a victim of Apple's aggressive energy-saving enhancements. It is pretty hard to let the CPU sleep or consolidate work if you are spending cycles keeping that spinner going around and around.

A.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
My biggest complaint so far is lack of scrolling/page back/page forward options with a mouse.

I turn "natural" scrolling off because I like the old school scroll wheel scrolling on my Magic Mouse.

Problem with this is that I use what Apple would call "natural" scrolling for horizontal swipes and disabling "natural" scrolling makes horizontal scrolling backwards to me.

My fix previously was using a reverse scroll app that I could keep "natural" scrolling activated and it would change my vertical scrolling habit to what I prefer.

Only in Mavericks, this app doesn't work system wide anymore, so my scrolling between apps, back and forth on safari and scrolling vertically in Safari and apps like Calendar are all messed up now with no apparent fix to my liking.

ecrispy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
I recommend people read the ArsTechnica review of Mavericks by John Siracusa, the best and most detailed you can find, there is lots to learn.

The Time Machine animation was removed because it causes the cpu to wake up (to draw the animation). Mavericks does everything it can to make the cpu 'sleep' as much as possible, which is why you get the great battery life.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
The Time Machine animation was removed because it causes the cpu to wake up (to draw the animation). Mavericks does everything it can to make the cpu 'sleep' as much as possible, which is why you get the great battery life.

That simply sounds like bad programming -- they should be checking the awake status before trying to draw the animation.

NoMoreSony

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
I recommend people read the ArsTechnica review of Mavericks by John Siracusa, the best and most detailed you can find, there is lots to learn.

Sorry. Can't buy such a childish explanation. EVERY of background tasks prevents CPU from "sleeping". The Time Machine itself requires much more CPU resources than simply icon animation, due of huge amount copy/replace tasks.

Just another bug, which another "independent" reviewer is trying to mask or simply hide.

ecrispy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
Sorry. Can't buy such a childish explanation. EVERY of background tasks prevents CPU from "sleeping". The Time Machine itself requires much more CPU resources than simply icon animation, due of huge amount copy/replace tasks.

Just another bug, which another "independent" reviewer is trying to mask or simply hide.

This is not true. The actual backup doesn't need to update the screen. Drawing the animation does.

It's not a bug, it's by design.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
There is still an animated spinning circular arrows in Finder windows. I don't see how that uses less resources than if it were on the menu bar...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-30 at 5.09.30 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-10-30 at 5.09.30 AM.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 1,070

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012

It was a good review, missing major parts about OpenGL, OpenCL performance, and features for Professional users.

Also there's more than just MacBooks from Apple, and that little spinning icon is negligible at best for CPU usage, and will not do much to the CPU.

IF, and that's a big if, that it somehow was the cause everyone's battery issues, they can just put code into Mavericks to make it give us full features for desktop users.

App Nap, and Timer Coalescence has caused quite a few problems for Professional Apps. Hell Until you turn off App Nap it'll constantly Kill FCP X's back ground rendering, and cause errors, garbled sound, and video when you're transcoding, rendering, and exporting in FCPX, Screenflow, Premiere and others.

Why? Simply because once you start the process you let the machine get on with it, as doing other things can slow it all down. Mavericks then decides to F' it all up with App Nap, and Timer Coalescence.

At least App Nap can be turned off.

This is not true. The actual backup doesn't need to update the screen. Drawing the animation does.

It's not a bug, it's by design.

Whether it's on the screen or not, the CPU is still being used...

ecrispy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
There is still an animated spinning circular arrows in Finder windows. I don't see how that uses less resources than if it were on the menu bar...

Good point, didn't know that! So yes it seems like they just wanted to get rid of the animation maybe?

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Then they forgot to disable the blinking colon in the time display. :)

So yes it seems like they just wanted to get rid of the animation maybe?
And now we’re back to post #1 in this thread. :D

I'll give Apple the benefit of a doubt on this one. I think the animation code just got disabled inadvertently.

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
Then they forgot to disable the blinking colon in the time display. :)

And now we’re back to post #1 in this thread. :D

I'll give Apple the benefit of a doubt on this one. I think the animation code just got disabled inadvertently.

The current Time Machine instructions seem to reflect the change though:

While a backup is in progress, the menu icon includes an additional arrow, or rotates counterclockwise.

So whatever the reason, the change is official, and probably here to stay...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.