Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Just checked, this is not reflected in MAS... Kinda lame

have to admit, i far prefer steam, and especially for this im glad its steam im buying it on. ive left it downloading the mac version but i have read its not a great port, so at least if its not running great i can download the pc version and bootcamp.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
have to admit, i far prefer steam, and especially for this im glad its steam im buying it on. ive left it downloading the mac version but i have read its not a great port, so at least if its not running great i can download the pc version and bootcamp.

Yeah, I never buy MAS games with high requirements because there's too great a chance the game will run like crap.
Especially cider ports like this.

DOlsson

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2007
Another thing worth mentioning is that there are (well, maybe "were", I haven't tried again since a few weeks go) problems getting the game registered. The Rockstar Social Club wasn't letting people login and no one could get the game running. There's some heat on this over on the Steam forums.

Some say this was because they upped priority on the GTA-V Social Club servers or whatever since that was recently released and deserved priority.

Either way, I downloaded it, installed it and could not login/play the game until I had registered (or whatever was needed) because the RSSC was down.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Another thing worth mentioning is that there are (well, maybe "were", I haven't tried again since a few weeks go) problems getting the game registered. The Rockstar Social Club wasn't letting people login and no one could get the game running. There's some heat on this over on the Steam forums.

Some say this was because they upped priority on the GTA-V Social Club servers or whatever since that was recently released and deserved priority.

Either way, I downloaded it, installed it and could not login/play the game until I had registered (or whatever was needed) because the RSSC was down.

actually, worse than that, i can't even open it. seems from googling that mavericks is the problem. if it was a smaller game id just download the windows version but working up the guts for another 28 gigs:eek:

bkar89

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
Norway
I see MAS have reduced the price aswell, to $9.99... I'm not so sure about it, even at thet price. Heard it runs **** on Nvidia hardware...

Update:

**** it... I went for it. I'll report back, how it runs on the 650m 1Gb

UpdateII:

The game runs. Needed to google a solution for the initialization loop. The game runs decent with 1440x900@High settings. But the game is a mess. It wont load scenes correctly, textures disappear etc. Its a cider port alright.

To get past the initialization loop you need to open up activity monitor and force quit any cider instances. and then run the game again. Its the idiotic Rockstar social club that is behind the mess. Its not limited to the Mac version, but it seems more prone to the bug.

If you really want to play it, get the Steam version, run it in boot camp. If you are on the fence about the game, pick up something else.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.