Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
thats BS. the ipad air is destined to be outdated way fast with only 1gb ram. people are going to be itching to upgrade in just 6 months

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
thats BS. the ipad air is destined to be outdated way fast with only 1gb ram. people are going to be itching to upgrade in just 6 months

I always get a kick out of Android fanboys who get mad when iOS devices get rave reviews.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008

Why didn't you include the iPad mini in your statement, as they both have 1GB of RAM?

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
1GB of RAM? That's intolerable. I'm putting my foot down this time. I'm only buying TWO iPads this time. That'll show 'em.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
As always, a solid review from Anand. Has me almost thinking of waiting now as the iPad Air is basically a large screen iPhone 5S (which his review essentially confirmed).

csrini1

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
In summary, expect more app crashes with just 1GB, is this what you guys also got from the review?

Kauai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2010
Apple also only uses a dual-core chip when the rest of the android competition is going quad-core; and yet it's wiping the floor with them in performance.

Just saying.;)

HoosBruce

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
As always, a solid review from Anand. Has me almost thinking of waiting now as the iPad Air is basically a large screen iPhone 5S (which his review essentially confirmed).

isn't that what basically all iPads have been? haven't owned one before, just a thought from afar

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
On second thought, the criticism of a single gig of ram, and wanting to upgrade in 6 months is valid

At least in theory. But then again, Who TF is going to wait? :D

Sure if your tight on funds, like most of us are (oh well). Still, no way I'm waiting for future land

xNYMetsx

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2013
1GB?! You've got to be kidding me. I was using another iPad and it barely saved my webpages with a few apps open. Not to mention the Air doesn't have Touch ID.

:mad:

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
What do you need 2GB of RAM for?

There's something about the websites I visit and another apps I use that seems to cause low memory crashes all the time. Had it with my first iPad 2 so I upgraded to a 3. Had it with my 3. I'm now using the old 2 since I gave my husband my 3 (he needed the extra storage for movies and podcasts, he's overseas and has really,really bad wifi). Same low memory crashes.

I'm not sure if I want to pay that much on the off chance that the iPad Air will be better (I was planning on the 128 gb LTE version). I probably will get one and try it out. Hopefully if it can't handle it it will crash within my return period. If so, I'll get a Surface. I have a lot of $$ invested in the Apple ecosystem and have gifted all my old iPads to my grandkids so they FaceTime all the time. Guess they can use Skype if I get a Surface. Sure won't like not having access to my purchased TV series. D@mn!!!

xNYMetsx

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2013
Amazing how my year old Nexus 4 has more RAM than this week old tablet. Pathetic. :mad:

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
On second thought, the criticism of a single gig of ram, and wanting to upgrade in 6 months is valid

At least in theory. But then again, Who TF is going to wait? :D

Sure if your tight on funds, like most of us are (oh well). Still, no way I'm waiting for future land

Does everyone realize that apps are developed based on the hardware specs of the intended platform. Keep in mind that the PS3 and 360 run far more powerful applications with 500MBs of RAM.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
My only complaint about task switching on the iPad Air is that UI frame rate will regularly drop below 30 fps during some of these transitions. The added GPU performance on the A7 doesn't seem to really impact things compared to the A6X
IPad Air still lags and frame drops on iOS7. Ugggh

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I get crashes, but very rarely. Maybe they are low memory related (don't know)

But, I find it hard to believe that if this was an issue that it wasn't addressed

Now, Anand is SO thorough with his reviews, it could fall into overkill and suggestion

In other words, I never had issues, and didn't know there was a problem, but now that I know there's a problem........

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
I always get a kick out of Android fanboys who get mad when iOS devices get rave reviews.

if im paying 500 for a device i really wanted it had better be the top of the line product. this isnt me complaining about cores, or software its a literal integration of MEMORY in a computer. a lot of the 3gb ram devices like the note 3 can keep a TON of tabs on a browser open as well as game save-state. go on the surface 2 play a game pause it switch apps wait a couple minutes and go back and you will see it did not leave you back at the main menu u keep going right where u left off.

its almost 2014 man tablets need 2gb ram MINIMUM if its a 9 inch + device. i was okay with it on a mini retina as those users are consuers but for someone like me who is going to use the ipad for productivity apps i dont want any shortage of memory during something important.

xNYMetsx

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2013
There's something about the websites I visit and another apps I use that seems to cause low memory crashes all the time. Had it with my first iPad 2 so I upgraded to a 3. Had it with my 3. I'm now using the old 2 since I gave my husband my 3 (he needed the extra storage for movies and podcasts, he's overseas and has really,really bad wifi). Same low memory crashes.

I'm not sure if I want to pay that much on the off chance that the iPad Air will be better (I was planning on the 128 gb LTE version). I probably will get one and try it out. Hopefully if it can't handle it it will crash within my return period. If so, I'll get a Surface. I have a lot of $$ invested in the Apple ecosystem and have gifted all my old iPads to my grandkids so they FaceTime all the time. Guess they can use Skype if I get a Surface. Sure won't like not having access to my purchased TV series. D@mn!!!

It's just so frustrating with all these holdbacks from Apple. RAM, Touch ID and the gold iPad.

xNYMetsx

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2013

Less than a 5s, it lacks Touch ID and the gold color option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.