Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
I needed a larger SSD so I maxed out a late 2013 15" model. It hasn't arrived yet but I planned on swapping my old model's display onto it so that I'd still be samsunged.

However, last time the BTO ones had better displays. Is this still true? Have you guys checked your new ones?

Jaben3421

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2011
CA
My BTO late 2013 has a LG display. I really don't care though, I think it still looks amazing.

pat.micunnis

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
How do I check for this info?

open Terminal (you may need to install developer tools to execute the following lines):
ioreg -lw0 | grep "EDID" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

you'll see Color LCD then immediately below that you'll see numbers and letters. If the letters start with LSN that means it's a Samsung display. The second line will look something like:
LSN154YL01-A01

Last edited:

hachiman

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
Manufacturer: 00000610

I guess I got a Samsung.

It's funny on one hand, Apple and Samsung are doing business with each other on chips, memories, displays, etc., and on the other hand, they're suing each other like there's no tomorrow for billions of dollars.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
My BTO is an LG. With SERIOUS backlight bleeding.....

0LExUu9.jpg

Luckily, I can get the screen replaced right in the store. Takes about 15 minutes. So no need for sending it in, or wait for a replacement.

Benk3350

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
How do you know that the new BTO rMBP are usually the better ones?

I ordered the fully maxed out model (2.6, 16gbRAM, 1tb, etc) so what am I most likely to get? Mine won't arrive until tuesday. I ordered it on monday.

pat.micunnis

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
I thought it was 610 regardless of the display manufacturer?

open Terminal copy and paste the following:

And hit 'return', the first thing you'll see is Color LCD then immediately below that you'll see numbers and letters. If the letters start with LSN that means it's a Samsung display. The second line will look something like:
LSN154YL01-A01

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
open Terminal copy and paste the following:

And hit 'return', the first thing you'll see is Color LCD then immediately below that you'll see numbers and letters. If the letters start with LSN that means it's a Samsung display. The second line will look something like:
LSN154YL01-A01

Except that doesn't work on the 13".

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Mine was a BTO and had an LG display. I sent it back due to yellow tinting issues. I'll see what my next one comes with.

pat.micunnis

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
I have 15" 2.6/16/1TB SDD/750 M : that is Samsung

I also have 15" 2.3/16/1TB SSD/750M : that is an LG (I misread how we're suppose to determine the manufacturer - and thought this was also a Samsung).

LP154WT1-SJE1

Quu : I'm noticing that LG is definitely whiter - but not sure if this is "biased" after reading everyone's posts. I like the LG more than the Samsung. But still going to play around with both models - as I'm still torn on whether to go with the 2.3 over 2.6 (2.6 is overkill for me - and I can "use" that money towards the 1TB). Unfortunately if I decide to "keep" the 2.3, I'm going to have to have it exchanged because it has the creaking issue; and who knows if the display for the replacement 2.3 is going to be LG or Samsung.

aiyaaabatt

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2013
My BTO is an LG. With SERIOUS backlight bleeding.....

0LExUu9.jpg

Luckily, I can get the screen replaced right in the store. Takes about 15 minutes. So no need for sending it in, or wait for a replacement.

That might be the worst screen i've ever seen

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
That might be the worst screen i've ever seen

That screen must have shipping damage. There's absolutely no way that passed quality assurance like that!

For the record, I maxed out my machine. AppleCare, 1TB, 2.6, etc. — Maybe AppleCare is the differentiator since Apple doesn't have to have to swap screens after a year or so of heavy use, ha. That would be a total dick move in my opinion, but I wouldn't be surprised considering what I went through to get my LG swapped for a Samsung last time around.

Or, maybe it's entirely random. Who knows.

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
if I put a black image full screen with my room lights off, it looks a little like jafingi's but not as bad. When I'm actually using the computer there's no way I could tell there's uneven illumation in the corners. LG here, 15" 2.3 i7.

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
if I put a black image full screen with my room lights off, it looks a little like jafingi's but not as bad. When I'm actually using the computer there's no way I could tell there's uneven illumation in the corners. LG here, 15" 2.3 i7.

I just tried this with my Samsung display and honestly only the bottom left corner is noticeable at full brightness w/ a black image. Bottom right slightly, but overall I'll deal with this problem. The ghosting was absurd on the LG, but this is overall pretty solid.

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2013
I have received my 15" bto rmbp (2.3/1TB/750m/german keyboard) yesterday and it has a LG screen too. No image retention out of the box, but I'm concerned about the higher risk that it will happen in the future.

Last edited:

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008
I needed a larger SSD so I maxed out a late 2013 15" model. It hasn't arrived yet but I planned on swapping my old model's display onto it so that I'd still be samsunged.

However, last time the BTO ones had better displays. Is this still true? Have you guys checked your new ones?

Well...I have a LG display now and i can tell you they look to be better than the Samsung ones. Using a professional screen calibrator i came to the conclusion those second generation LG screens are nearly perfect even without calibration. There is so little difference between calibrated and uncalibrated that you have to conclude these panels are very good.
Image retention is not problem either anymore on these second generation LG's.

The Samsungs though are very biased towards yellow and need calibration to come anywhere near usable colours.

sabbyp

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2013
my screen identifier begins with LP and from what I understand that's an LG screen.

I've just checked with a fullscreen black image and there seems to be two spots of very light backlight bleeding from the bottom corners. Doesn't appear in day to day use and i must say i've never noticed it before now.

I am slightly worried that this may escalate with the display in the future, and what with the creaking issue (not fixed by tightening screws) - on a 3.5k machine these issues are not really acceptable, may return today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.