Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Despacio

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I usually wait for every other iPhone to upgrade, but i got impatient, paid an early upgrade fee and got the Gold 5s for $650 total.

it took 40 days to receive it, in that time I changed my mind and will wait for the iPhone 6.

I talked to ATT and its all confusing to me but this is how I figured it...

- I have to open and activate the 5s first before I sell it. Only I can activate this phone.

- Selling this sealed as is right now would be selling a phone the buyer cannot activate without my account info and possible social security number.

- This iPhone 5s will be factory locked for two years to ATT, two years being the duration of the contract.

- The person who buys the phone will have to buy a new sim card from ATT.

Is this right?

I'm a bit confused about what to do after activating the 5s. Do I factory reset it and put it all back in the box and ship it out with the sim card in there? Or do i remove the sim card before sending it? Do i put that sim card back into my current iPhone 5?

So confused still. :/

There's still a chance i keep it for the improved camera, but on eBay this thing is going for about $900+ and that extra cash can come in handy during the holiday season.

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
U need to activate because:

1. U need to renew ur contract.
2. Only u can activate unless u want to give a stranger ur personal info.

Upgrading from a 5 to 5s = not worth it. Very minimal speed advancement and hardly noticeable. iPhone 6 is the one to wait for.

eBay: not worth selling now after eRape and Paypal fees, u r not left with much. When the gold first came out, u could have gotten more even after fees.

Despacio

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
U need to activate because:

1. U need to renew ur contract.
2. Only u can activate unless u want to give a stranger ur personal info.

Upgrading from a 5 to 5s = not worth it. Very minimal speed advancement and hardly noticeable. iPhone 6 is the one to wait for.

eBay: not worth selling now after eRape and Paypal fees, u r not left with much. When the gold first came out, u could have gotten more even after fees.

Yeah, I'm still weighing the options, maybe attempt craigslist. I'm all too familiar with eBay fees. But i appreciate the input good sir!

Belmont31R

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2012
Can't return it? They should't start the return period until you received the phone. A 40 day wait period from when you ordered to when you got it should not mean the return period started the day you ordered it. Otherwise no one would be able to return a phone it took AT&T longer than 2 weeks to ship.

If you already opened the box and have the phone out, and AT&T won't return it..see if someone else with an active AT&T nano sim can get service on it with their SIM. Any AT&T nano SIM should work on a locked AT&T iPhone.

AT&T does not have control over iPhone activations. The normal low rung sales reps will act like they are they house branded phones but as long as you have an active AT&T SIM card the phone will activate. The carriers want to assume as much control over the phones as they can but Apple was smart early on and kept them from getting control over updates and activations.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Can't return it? They should't start the return period until you received the phone. A 40 day wait period from when you ordered to when you got it should not mean the return period started the day you ordered it. Otherwise no one would be able to return a phone it took AT&T longer than 2 weeks to ship.

If you already opened the box and have the phone out, and AT&T won't return it..see if someone else with an active AT&T nano sim can get service on it with their SIM. Any AT&T nano SIM should work on a locked AT&T iPhone.

AT&T does not have control over iPhone activations. The normal low rung sales reps will act like they are they house branded phones but as long as you have an active AT&T SIM card the phone will activate. The carriers want to assume as much control over the phones as they can but Apple was smart early on and kept them from getting control over updates and activations.

exactly id throw a fit if they didn't let me a unopened box 5s that I've only had a few days.
I would think return policy starts the day you get it!

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
All you have to do is remove your SIM card. Leave the factory plastic on the phone itself so that you can still sell it as new. Even with the Ebay fees, the amount these things are selling for is ridiculous so you will still make money.

The person who buys it just has to insert their att SIM card to use it. It's that simple. There's no account transferring it anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.