Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
I've been having major video problems in Windows 7 on my 2011 MBP recently. Seems like all I have to do is run Firefox and the video goes haywire or I get a BSOD.

Is there a way for me to tell if Windows 7 is using the Intel GPU or the AMD GPU? Better yet, is there a way for me to force Windows 7 to use the Intel or AMD GPU? I know for Mac OS X there's an app that lets you choose which GPU to run. I wonder if I can do that in Windows 7.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I think Bootcamp only supports use of the dGPU. Check Device Manager in Windows to see what video adapters are installed. If you have only one, that's the one (and it'll be your dGPU).

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Windows installations on a Mac do not support graphic switching. Your AMD GPU is used full-time. Solving video issues is usually as simple as making sure your drivers are up to date. The Catalyst Mobility beta software provided by AMD is actually quite good, better I'd say than their WHQL/official releases.

slapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
There is something SERIOUSLY wrong with my Windows 7. Last night I installed the 13.9 Catalyst Mobility driver (not the beta version) and didn't notice any problems. But this morning the laptop seemed to have frozen during sleep mode. I restarted it and immediately when I logged in I saw video problems and the screen turned black. So the problem seems to be getting worse.

This problem wasn't happening a week ago. The only thing that I did since then was to run Windows Update, update Acrobat, update Flash, update Firefox, and update Java. I guess one of those things is the culprit, so maybe I should try a system restore. Oh wait, I just tried loading System Restore, and it tells me "No restore points have been created on your computer's system drive." I'm in Safe Mode right now - can you not run System Restore from Safe Mode?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.