Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
UK
What is the general consensus about AppleCare+ for iPad?

Do you think its worth £79?

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
Your call. I have had it on past iPads and never used it. This time I will get it again because I am going with the 128GB LTE Air. $150 for a replacement if damaged would be worth the cost. Not so much if you were getting a 16GB Wifi Mini.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
For me, yes. Others may not think so. Its up to you.

I'd rather have it, and not need it than need it, and not have it. Just in case that one eventful accident, and bingo, I'll need it. Others will put a nice protective case on it, and that's it. Using it around the house without animals, and kids, than you might not need it. Again, up to you

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
I'm dropping $730 on an LTE 32GB iPad Air, to break that thing and repay that cost is out of the question

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
AppleCare+ makes total sense for an iPhone, but none for an iPad IMO. Maybe if you're really clumsy, careless or let a young child use the device I guess.

robertpetry

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
St Augustine, FL
I'm dropping $730 on an LTE 32GB iPad Air, to break that thing and repay that cost is out of the question

But if you break it you generally can take it in to Apple and pay $299 to swap it out. That has been my experience.

For a higher priced iPad I do think it makes sense because you are risking $100+potentially a $49 deductible to save $299 if it breaks. iPhones just don't make sense to me anymore since the swap fee is more like $249 and they upped the deductible to $79. So $179 to save $70?? Nope.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
AppleCare+ makes total sense for an iPhone, but none for an iPad IMO. Maybe if you're really clumsy, careless or let a young child use the device I guess.
People seem to be forgetting that AppleCare+ isn't just for accidental damage. It also extends manufacturer's warranty for an extra year. The device could fail through no fault of your own after the first year. You only pay the deductible if you break it. If not, then you get a replacement device at no additional charge.

Last edited:

mncmoore

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2008
Not going to this time since I will definitely be getting the next one with touch id, and then I'll get it.

Ryox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
UK
Well i'll just take the plunge with applecare+ since I'm going to get the 128GB Air, 3 year warranty plus accidental damage cover seems like a good deal.

Thanks for your input!

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
But if you break it you generally can take it in to Apple and pay $299 to swap it out. That has been my experience.

For a higher priced iPad I do think it makes sense because you are risking $100+potentially a $49 deductible to save $299 if it breaks. iPhones just don't make sense to me anymore since the swap fee is more like $249 and they upped the deductible to $79. So $179 to save $70?? Nope.

didn't think of that, you might have saved me some money

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Well i'll just take the plunge with applecare+ since I'm going to get the 128GB Air, 3 year warranty plus accidental damage cover seems like a good deal.
That's only 2 years for iPhone and iPad. I think it's the Macs that get 3 years.

pocketpenguin

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2012
Don't forget that some credit cards automatically double the manufacturer's warranty for free and provide accidental damage coverage as well. Something to consider...why pay extra when you don't have to?

On the other hand, you can never have too much insurance;).

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Don't forget that some credit cards automatically double the manufacturer's warranty for free and provide accidental damage coverage as well. Something to consider...why pay extra when you don't have to?
Yep. MasterCard and American Express. Discover, too, last I checked. I do wonder how that works for subsidized devices such as phones, though.

zaxdude

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
Yep. MasterCard and American Express. Discover, too, last I checked. I do wonder how that works for subsidized devices such as phones, though.

I recently made a claim with Amex on my 64GB iPhone 5. They credited in full my Amex account the amount I actually paid -- 399 + tax.

Ryox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
UK
That's only 2 years for iPhone and iPad. I think it's the Macs that get 3 years.

Oh, yes you're right!

"up to two years of additional hardware coverage" made it sound like 2 years additional to the standard one year in my head…

Hmm I probably will end up buying it, less appealing now though.

Last edited:

pocketpenguin

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2012

Be careful, not all cards are the same. Some Mastercards have the coverage, others don't; same with Visa. Call your card 1-800 number and ask them for details on coverage.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
Amex provides damage protection for 90 days. After that, Amex extends the manufacturer's warranty for an additional year. Which in this case, is not the same as Applecare +.

Damage coverage associated with certain credit cards is hit or miss. Those intending to use a card should check the statement of benefits for the card to be used. Global statements that this card and that card cover everything for x amount of time is inaccurate and a disservice to readers of this fine forum.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Be careful, not all cards are the same. Some Mastercards have the coverage, others don't; same with Visa. Call your card 1-800 number and ask them for details on coverage.

Pretty sure MasterCard World and Visa Signature both offer it. I remember reading about it in the brochure they send with replacement credit cards.

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
Yes, always get Applecare+ if you play on keeping that device as your primary one for 2 years. Anything less, totally not worth it.

jps1012

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
NYC
Question- if You don't have applecare and smash your ipad, how much would it cost to get the refurb they would give you with applecare? thanks

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Question- if You don't have applecare and smash your ipad, how much would it cost to get the refurb they would give you with applecare? thanks
Had a manufacturer defect on an out of warranty iPad 2 64GB Wi-Fi last year, cost to replace was around $300 with tax.

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012

On the other hand, you can never have too much insurance;).

Accidental? I know of the extra year the CC gives, but didn't think they covered accidental.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.