Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBPCAG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2009
I bought a mid 2012 13" MacBook Pro from best buy 2 days ago. I haven't used it much but when I do I get a weird smell coming from maybe the keyboard or vents. I doubt it's the aluminum.. This is my second MacBook Pro and my first one never smelled like this. Is this normal for newer macbook pros and does it eventually go away?

It doesn't smell like anythings burning just a weird plastic smell. It weirdly reminds me of ramen noodles.

Thanks for any help!

MBPCAG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2009
Yeah not like cat urine and I doubt it's a brain tumor though I've yet to take it for an MRI...

Atomic Walrus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2012
Does it have a vague chemical-like smell, not particularly offensive but just not natural-smelling? It sounds like you're describing "new electronics smell." Maybe you didn't pick it up on the older MBP, but I've definitely noticed it a little on my 15" rMBP. Not unlike new car smell, it's just some escaping chemicals from all the stuff the machine is made of and will go away over time. Personally I love that smell, but that's probably from a lifetime of associating it with new computer components.

Why these ones and not previous ones? I'd say it's because these systems are truly brand new (people who ordered online are getting them shipped straight from the factory in China).

MBPCAG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2009
Definitely not like feet drenched in armpit sweat...

And yes, a vague chemical smell. I guess it may be the internals warming up.

What worried me was that with some mac pros and maybe macbook pros, the smell they were emitting contained a known carcinogen (benzene I think).

Atomic Walrus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2012
Definitely not like feet drenched in armpit sweat...

And yes, a vague chemical smell. I guess it may be the internals warming up.

What worried me was that with some mac pros and maybe macbook pros, the smell they were emitting contained a known carcinogen (benzene I think).

Oh, new electronics smell is definitely slightly poisonous (and maybe carcinogenic) by definition. Technically so is new car small. Just don't stick your mouth over it and take big breaths of it, you'll be fine (or at least as fine as the rest of us, mwuahahaha insane laughter etc.). More importantly it goes away really quickly.

MBPCAG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2009
Yes I've read that the plastic sitting in the sun from the new cars is carcinogenic and so hence the new car smell is as well. Alright I'll leave the laptop open and running to try and let it air out.

Oh, new electronics smell is definitely slightly poisonous (and maybe carcinogenic) by definition. Technically so is new car small. Just don't stick your mouth over it and take big breaths of it, you'll be fine (or at least as fine as the rest of us, mwuahahaha insane laughter etc.). More importantly it goes away really quickly.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
No concerning at all.

Is there mould in your place, the fins around the device pulls in a lot more of the air than ever. Could also be so over worked islave at the factory, dropped their hair in the system and is burning. Or a spider got into the circuits? Open the window and get outside more often, don't get hurt. Don't develop a tumor for heaven sakes, we don't have to.

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
calvin+and+hobbes.jpg

mgauss77

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2016
I had no problem with my 2011 27" iMac i7. But when I tried the iMac 27" Retina there was a smell I think it is the new 3M adhesive that is now used to hold the glass to the boards. It kind of went away when I revved up the fans of the iMac. I have smelled similar smells from the MacBook Pros. I sadly smelled just some this Feb 2017 on a 13" MBP. I have high hopes for the early 2017 iMacs. Would be lovely if Apple could hire some smell consultants. Apple makes their machines run hot, as they push the performance of their products. But there is a difference between an honest hot board and a chemical from adhesives coming out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.