Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lina231

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
I posted previously about my problem with my Mac and the whole charging thing, in short when I charge my Mac it does not correctly show what percentage the battery is. When I open the lid it takes about 5 minutes to show me what the charge actually is on my Mac. I was going to call apple about this today, because it is a small annoyance that I was hoping could be fixed.

Well, about a half hour ago I was on my Mac on safari when my screen went black. They keyboard was still lit up and I held in the power button and nothing happened. I closed the lid for a couple minutes, opened it again and still the screen was black and the keyboard was lit up. After about 10 minutes it started up again, completely rebooted and then brought up all of the windows that I had opened. Im seriously concerned about this because along with my notes for school and my papers I also have a lot of stuff on my Mac that deals with a lab that I work in. Im so frustrated with this right now, and can't call Apple until after class.

It seems like the performance is deteriorating on my mac since the Mavericks update. I have a 13'' MBA Mid 2013. Sorry if I am reposting something that was already posted and being redundant, but I just wanted to know if anyone else had this problem, and if there was something that I may be able to do to fix it. Its just such an inconvenience because i've literally integrated my entire life on this computer (which is something I have never done in the past with any other computer).

lina231

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
Would you care to share what resolved the issue?

Apparently it is "normal behavior". I reset the PRAM and it works fine. Apple was slightly concerned because my trackpad was having unusual behavior, but after the reset it worked fine. If the screen goes black again they said that I will have to do a complete wipe on my computer.

lina231

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
It's normal behaviour for a computer to fail like that?

Apparently so, that is what the AppleCare person told me. I was pretty surprised that she described that it was "normal" for my Mac to do this. Nonetheless, I went out and bought 500 GB of external storage and backed my computer up just in case. Im not so concerned about the computer itself, just concerned for my entire life that is on it.

B1ueB1aze

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2013
I wouldn't call that normal. My guess is that something like a kennel panic occurred, and that it recovered is expected "normal" behavior, but the kernel panic or whatever it was is not.

mynameis321

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2013
Apparently so, that is what the AppleCare person told me. I was pretty surprised that she described that it was "normal" for my Mac to do this. Nonetheless, I went out and bought 500 GB of external storage and backed my computer up just in case. Im not so concerned about the computer itself, just concerned for my entire life that is on it.

That's ridiculous of them. If that was me I would've kicked up a storm. You would think that once an item is for retail sale then it is free from manufacturers defect and fit for purpose as intended. Not that "Oh it's normal for our computers to fail, you should fiddle around with it, because the onus is on you of course :rolleyes: "

lina231

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
That's ridiculous of them. If that was me I would've kicked up a storm. You would think that once an item is for retail sale then it is free from manufacturers defect and fit for purpose as intended. Not that "Oh it's normal for our computers to fail, you should fiddle around with it, because the onus is on you of course :rolleyes: "

Well my trackpad is still acting up so Im going to call them and see what they say, honestly I was quite disappointed with what they had to say. I'll keep you posted haha.

lina231

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
I called Apple last night and actually got someone who knew what they were talking about. He said that my mac's behavior is not normal behavior, and he does not know why the other person said that it was. Since I use my laptop for school everyday the senior technician decided that we are going to reinstall OS X today. Apparently it can take up to 10 hours though? Which is why we did not do it last night. My mac seems to be working normal so far this morning, but I guess we'll see how the rest of the day goes. :mad:

lina231

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
I wouldn't call that normal. My guess is that something like a kennel panic occurred, and that it recovered is expected "normal" behavior, but the kernel panic or whatever it was is not.

Is it normal for the screen to blink blue before it starts up?

lina231

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
Update

So I know I'm pretty much posting to myself now but here's an update. So I have reinstalled Mavericks and I am no longer having any problems (for now). Also, after reinstalling Mavericks I have gained about 2.8 GB of memory. The one weird thing is, in my finder under devices there is now a "Remote Disk". I am not sure what this is, but I'm not too worried about it at all.

One thing I have learned through this process is that there is apple technicians who know what they're talking about, and then there are apple technicians who seem to not know anything about Macs. I'm just glad that I got in contact with someone who knew what they were talking about:D

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA

I'm sorry but that's not "normal behavior". I think the Apple rep is just telling you that so they can avoid replacing it or repairing it for free. I'd go down to the Apple store and get it checked, pronto.

----------

Is it normal for the screen to blink blue before it starts up?

No it's not. I've had my mac for 3 years and it's never blinked blue before.

mynameis321

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2013
So I know I'm pretty much posting to myself now but here's an update. So I have reinstalled Mavericks and I am no longer having any problems (for now). Also, after reinstalling Mavericks I have gained about 2.8 GB of memory. The one weird thing is, in my finder under devices there is now a "Remote Disk". I am not sure what this is, but I'm not too worried about it at all.

One thing I have learned through this process is that there is apple technicians who know what they're talking about, and then there are apple technicians who seem to not know anything about Macs. I'm just glad that I got in contact with someone who knew what they were talking about:D

That's good to hear. I find that the ones who know nothing are the most prtentious stuck up ones. They'll talk to you as if YOU know nothing, as if Apple products are only for the elite. I love it when they get put in their place

Please do keep us updated

lina231

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
I'm sorry but that's not "normal behavior". I think the Apple rep is just telling you that so they can avoid replacing it or repairing it for free. I'd go down to the Apple store and get it checked, pronto.

----------

No it's not. I've had my mac for 3 years and it's never blinked blue before.

Yeah it's kind of weird that it started to blink blue when it starts up. Unfortunately, I am at college and the nearest apple store to me is in Philly. I would rather wait and go to Pittsburgh when I am on break because I know that area. My Mac has been working well since I reinstalled Mavericks, so now its just the blinking blue screen and the "Remote Disk" that are the problems. I'm just glad they're not major problems.

lina231

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
That's good to hear. I find that the ones who know nothing are the most prtentious stuck up ones. They'll talk to you as if YOU know nothing, as if Apple products are only for the elite. I love it when they get put in their place

Please do keep us updated

Yeah, I agree with that. Some of the reps I talked to tried to dumb it down for me so much, and it was so condescending and unnecessary. Like I understand that Im a college "kid", but I know a lot more about technology then some of those apple "geniuses". :rolleyes:

lina231

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
UPDATE: Ended up going to apple and....

I was having problems with my MBA again. The screen went black again and the computer was unresponsive. So I made an appointment with apple, went in and they told me that they needed to ship my mac out because they did not know what was wrong with it and it needed diagnostics tests run. So I have received my macbook back today and they had replaced My logic board, trackpad, and IPD cable. My computer is working well now, but I am worried about how long the computer will last considering it is only 5 months old and having problems...i'm just happy that it is working now though:)

mrjohnnyglass

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2012
I was having problems with my MBA again. The screen went black again and the computer was unresponsive. So I made an appointment with apple, went in and they told me that they needed to ship my mac out because they did not know what was wrong with it and it needed diagnostics tests run. So I have received my macbook back today and they had replaced My logic board, trackpad, and IPD cable. My computer is working well now, but I am worried about how long the computer will last considering it is only 5 months old and having problems...i'm just happy that it is working now though:)

Please tell us that you purchased AppleCare to go along with it?

lina231

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
yikes… who make me worried about my new macbook purchase….:(

You'll be fine, like any other product there will be defective ones. The wonderful thing about apple though is that they make sure that the problem gets fixed. Even with all the stupid problems that I had I would never buy another kind of laptop.

dbroncos78087

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2013
Northern Virginia
It sounds like you got a lemon your first time. There are plenty of ways for you to have caused damage but unless you dropped it or plugged it into a faulty power outlet, then you would have a hard time causing damage to the logic board.

You should be absolutely surprised if the machine craps out on you again.

lina231

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
It sounds like you got a lemon your first time. There are plenty of ways for you to have caused damage but unless you dropped it or plugged it into a faulty power outlet, then you would have a hard time causing damage to the logic board.

You should be absolutely surprised if the machine craps out on you again.

I've never dropped it, and I don't think I have ever plugged it into a faulty power outlet. It was just a defective logic board I guess.

dbroncos78087

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2013
Northern Virginia
I've never dropped it, and I don't think I have ever plugged it into a faulty power outlet. It was just a defective logic board I guess.

The logic board on my 2010 went after about three years. I'm considering buying a spare one to put into it and see if I can get it working again, mostly just to see how to do it. I'm going to take the old one out first to see just how complicated it is before putting down about $400.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.