Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

esskay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Been thinking about the next laptop to replace my trusty MBP13 and was considering the MBPr15.

I haven't flown for business in a while but recently took a couple trips, and in coach found it pretty tight to work on my MBP13 on those tiny seat trays with the seat rows having gotten closer together. I couldn't open the screen quite wide enough to look directly at it, though it was sufficient to be able to get work done. Also, the trays didn't adjust so the base was coming off the edge.

Who here flies with their MBPr15? Can you work on the seat trays or is the machine too big for that? Thanks!

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
I never open my laptop on planes anymore. The worst part is when the guy in front of you reclines his seat, so there just isn't enough vertical clearance to open the laptop to a comfortable position.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I never open my laptop on planes anymore. The worst part is when the guy in front of you reclines his seat, so there just isn't enough vertical clearance to open the laptop to a comfortable position.

11-inch MacBook Air solves this problem. But nah, I love using a laptop on the plane. I've heard the 15" rMBP barely fits on the tray, though. And even then I'm not sure how comfortable it'd be. 13-inch is definitely better in this situation.

MN7119

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
I only use my iPad on airplanes. However, I don't see why you could not use a 15" Macbook if needed. Since I use my Macbook 99% of the time at home I just ordered a 15".

marvin4653

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
Alright thanks guys
I used to have a 15" non-Retina MacBook Pro, which had a similar overall footprint to the Retina, and I found it very difficult to use on a tray table. The machine barely fit (depending on the plane), and if the person in the seat in front of me reclined, I couldn't position the screen at a proper angle. I now have a 13" Air, and I find that footprint far superior for airplane use. If airplane use is a significant concern for you (particularly short-haul domestic), I'd seriously consider the 13".

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I used to have a 15" non-Retina MacBook Pro, which had a similar overall footprint to the Retina, and I found it very difficult to use on a tray table. The machine barely fit (depending on the plane), and if the person in the seat in front of me reclined, I couldn't position the screen at a proper angle. I now have a 13" Air, and I find that footprint far superior for airplane use. If airplane use is a significant concern for you (particularly short-haul domestic), I'd seriously consider the 13".

+1, it seems they always recline too so it is highly unlikely I will ever use a 15" again, the 13" is a lot better in regards to flights, biking to meetings, snowboard shoots, etc.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
+1, it seems they always recline too so it is highly unlikely I will ever use a 15" again, the 13" is a lot better in regards to flights, biking to meetings, snowboard shoots, etc.

A 15" rMBP would fit in my bag perfectly, but yeah I prefer the 13" in every possible way. Sure a 15" would fit on an airplane tray and other places, but it wouldn't be comfortable.

Testing out both at the Apple store last night only confirmed my stance on this. The 13-inch form factor is really great, and in some ways I prefer the actual machine to the 15-inch.

walkie

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010

I second this, it happened to me on a flight, the woman in front of me hit the screen when reclining her seat :mad:., it's not worth opening it on a plane, it's uncomfortable, I instead use my iPad on flights.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Maybe try putting your LAPtop on your well...lap? Haha Its a squeeze but I can do it with a 15" rMBP. I take the train allot and its got a bit more room now but similar tray sizes and issues with people leaning back, still have room, I worked on a video project for 12 hours on the train..was great, had two seats to myself to set up my hard drives and cards. I love the 13" don't get me wrong but it is just painful to use for FCP X where I need all the space, and it looks sort of dorky (lol). 15" rMBP isn't the same size but it is still very thin and lightweight and my backpack can fit a 13" cMBP, 13" rMBP, or 15" rMBP but not a 15" cMBP (regular thiick one) so the thinness does help allot. Even if I traveled even more than I do I would still suck it up with the 15", Quad-core, discrete graphics, just completely worth it.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I second this, it happened to me on a flight, the woman in front of me hit the screen when reclining her seat :mad:., it's not worth open it on a plane, it's uncomfortable, I instead use my iPad on flights.

This discussion has come up before. Using an iPad on flights is certainly ideal and the best thing to use if you're doing something like watching movies, but you really have to be prepared.

At least for me, that would mean buying an iPad with enough space from the get go. People are more likely to have more free space on their Mac than they would their iPad.

I'm thinking about picking up one of the new iPads, but I would definitely use a rMBP on flights over an iPad.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
It fits on the tray without issue. However, if the guy in front of you reclines his seat a lot, it is difficult to use.

robopath

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2010
It fits on the tray without issue. However, if the guy in front of you reclines his seat a lot, it is difficult to use.

I actually saw a huge Dell screen get cracked with a "forced recline". Even in Economy plus (or similar), a 15 would be difficult with any amount of recline.

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010

That's what great with IPS panels, you don't need to position it in a specific angel. Every angel works.

dollyts1

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010
Hi,

I am a frequent traveller. Spending around 250k miles on air a year.

15 inch is too much. I have now a 13 inch MBA and and thinking going down 2 11 again.

It is all about weight. I will swap my ipad against the mini. I hate carrying 2 much stuff around. Not really efficient.

13 inch is on the limit.

For ex: First class from EU 2 NZ is too expensive and not worth the money. I already have Senator access and this is good enough. More important is lounge access if u r crossing the globe.

One more thing - noise canceling headphones are mandatory. Business or even first will not help u against crying babys,....

esskay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Maybe try putting your LAPtop on your well...lap? Haha Its a squeeze but I can do it with a 15" rMBP. I take the train allot and its got a bit more room now but similar tray sizes and issues with people leaning back, still have room, I worked on a video project for 12 hours on the train..was great, had two seats to myself to set up my hard drives and cards. I love the 13" don't get me wrong but it is just painful to use for FCP X where I need all the space, and it looks sort of dorky (lol). 15" rMBP isn't the same size but it is still very thin and lightweight and my backpack can fit a 13" cMBP, 13" rMBP, or 15" rMBP but not a 15" cMBP (regular thiick one) so the thinness does help allot. Even if I traveled even more than I do I would still suck it up with the 15", Quad-core, discrete graphics, just completely worth it.

BTW, I just noticed you said 12 hours of FCP X work! :eek: Does the train have power outlets?

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I only use my iPad on airplanes. However, I don't see why you could not use a 15" Macbook if needed. Since I use my Macbook 99% of the time at home I just ordered a 15".

I bring my iPad and 15" rMBP with me to JetBlue recently but I have not managed to take out my rMBP because I can't get up out of my seat (I was sitting by the windows) and I can't ask two eldery women to move out) So iPad is fine if you include external keyboard. :apple:

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
I did once with my 2012 15" rMBP (sold, replaced by 13" rMBP) but was on business class; on coach no space at all, go for 13" rmp or 13"MBA if you travel a lot on coach

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.