Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clove503

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2013
Hello there!

Ive had many cases for my iPhones, but all of them seem to have an annoying screen film that covers the front of your device. I find it very displeasing to text/use the screen with these films/screen covers on the front of my phone. Are there any good cases (not bumpers) that are out there without this "protective" feature? Or should I just remove one myself with a x-acto knife from a lifeproof (or other) case? I still want a case with raised protection on the sides to prevent shattering from a possible drop on the front/back but I just dont want the screen protection.

I know there is the Nuud case...Im looking for something similar for the 5s. Or is their iphone 5 case compatible?
Thanks!

KAMB

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2013
Connecticut
Hello there!

Ive had many cases for my iPhones, but all of them seem to have an annoying screen film that covers the front of your device. I find it very displeasing to text/use the screen with these films/screen covers on the front of my phone. Are there any good cases (not bumpers) that are out there without this "protective" feature? Or should I just remove one myself with a x-acto knife from a lifeproof (or other) case? I still want a case with raised protection on the sides to prevent shattering from a possible drop on the front/back but I just dont want the screen protection.

I know there is the Nuud case...Im looking for something similar for the 5s. Or is their iphone 5 case compatible?
Thanks!

You can always get a defender case and pop out the screen protector. That's what I've done with every phone I've had.

ljdonato

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2013
Spigen Tough Armor

Strong and it does not add a lot of bulk. Already protected my 5s from a 3 ft. fall. No visible damage to the case or the phone. The non-rubber back tend to scratch a little. I've had mine like three weeks now and the only visible small scratch is from the aforementioned fall, and that's OK with me. Mine is a silver color.

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
Spigen Tough Armor

Strong and it does not add a lot of bulk. Already protected my 5s from a 3 ft. fall. No visible damage to the case or the phone. The non-rubber back tend to scratch a little. I've had mine like three weeks now and the only visible small scratch is from the aforementioned fall, and that's OK with me. Mine is a silver color.

This. Buy this, OP.

webslinger85

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
+1 for Tough Armor

It's not the be all end all of cases like some people say, but it's pretty great, and fits the description of what you're looking for.

ljdonato

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2013
Let me update my post about the Tough Armor.

First of all, I forgot to add that, based on my experience, and from others, if you decide on the Tough Armor, do not buy directly from Spigen. Buy from Amazon. You will not regret it. Search the Forums and you will find why. You will get it a whole lot faster.

Second: a new experience. Believe me, I would not do these tests, but by accident... I dropped my phone with force from about 5 feet!!! I was talking with a friend, phone in hand, earphones on ears and connected to phone. With my free hand, I did a hard gesture which inadvertently hit the earphones cable, which gave a tug to the phone, releasing it from my hand and sending it flying down to the (not polished) concrete floor. Four or five bounces down the concrete driveway, it finally stopped after hitting the front driver's door of a car at the end of the driveway, resting face up on the floor. I rapidly picked up the phone, then my heart, and examined everywhere. NOTHING, not a scratch, not a dent, nothing! Man, was I relieved. I was pretty sure, at least it was going to be all scratched on the back!
I consider myself a very careful man, In 3+ years I dropped my iPhone 4 with Otterbox Defender no more than three times. Now, I have already dropped my iPhone 5s 2 times in less than 3 weeks!! I am so glad I got this case!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.