Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vertigo1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2013
As per the subject above, what I really want is a clear rear skin I can apply to the back of my iPad Air to offer some light protection. Basically I want to be able to put it down on various surfaces without worrying about dirt or tiny pieces of grit scratching it.

Does anyone have any experiences or recommendations for such a product? I came across the Wrapsol skins which seemed to be exactly what I wanted but they went out of business. The Skinomi products look interesting but ideally I'd like to hear from anyone who's tried them. Any other suggestions welcome of course :)

konieczn

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
I ordered a full body skin from www.clear-coat.com. They have a lifetime warranty, that you can always order a replacement product just by paying shipping for the replacement.

I have had their full body skins on my iPhones and they truly are undetectable and super protectant against scratches, etc.

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
I've used http://www.bestskinsever.com on three iPads and my MacBook Air. Their prices are competitive and the quality is good.

They have recently started doing matte versions, so I've ordered one of those for the back and a glossy one for the screen. Their website says that "some screen clarity is sacrificed with matte screen film," which is why I went for a glossy one. The matte skins on the back are pretty much invisible.

I usually only buy skins for the back, as I don't like the feel of them on the front, but I thought I'd give it another try, I can always peel it off.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I just ordered a Skinomi from Amazon, only $4 shipped. Will get a Zagg Leatherskin or iCarbonz when they are available.

nlkccom

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2008
I've used bestskinsever for the backing of all my iPads and iPad mini. Price is competitive and great quality. Highly recommend it.

Vertigo1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2013
I just ordered a Skinomi from Amazon, only $4 shipped. Will get a Zagg Leatherskin or iCarbonz when they are available.

How on earth is it that cheap? They're like £19 here :(

Be interested to hear your opinions on it though! :)

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
Ditto on Best Skins Ever. Love them. Curious about the matte for the back this time.

Rosewood23

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2011
Midwest
I've used bestskinsever for the backing of all my iPads and iPad mini. Price is competitive and great quality. Highly recommend it.

Agreed. Currently they are having a 20% off sale if you preorder the iPad Air skin. Matte finish is the way to go.

Vertigo1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2013
Cheers for the BSE recommendations, have pre-ordered one from the US, not too bad at only $6 shipping to the UK :)

mason.smith1975

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2012
Do you guy know any brand has cheaper iPad Air back MATTE protector? bestskinsever is kinda expensive and I have no idea what does their matte back protector look like because they never have it before. Thanks.

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
If you search on youtube for "matte bestskinsever" you'll find some reviews which show you what the matte skins look like.

The last time I looked BestSkinsEver were cheaper than most of their competition. They have put their postage charges up, for overseas orders, but I would imagine their prices are still good.

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
I'm going for the BSE matte back skin. I had a Sticker Boy matte back skin for my iPad mini and it felt great. I also felt it concealed any markings, fingerprints better than a glossy skin.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I've used http://www.bestskinsever.com on three iPads and my MacBook Air. Their prices are competitive and the quality is good.

They have recently started doing matte versions, so I've ordered one of those for the back and a glossy one for the screen. Their website says that "some screen clarity is sacrificed with matte screen film," which is why I went for a glossy one. The matte skins on the back are pretty much invisible.

I usually only buy skins for the back, as I don't like the feel of them on the front, but I thought I'd give it another try, I can always peel it off.

Will it ruin the shine if the Apple logo on the back?

DoubleDose

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2008
Man my Skinomi one was so cheap but it says it won't be delivered till the 14th. Gotta be careful with the Air until then

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I installed the Skinomi full body protector on a couple iPads yesterday.

The cutouts were perfect. The trickiest parts are the rounded corners. The trick is to use less solution. The corners won't stick well if there's too much solution. I suggest keeping a blow dryer nearby to dry out areas that may not be sticking well.

The feel is great. The screen protector feels smooth and the back has a grippier feel. The bare aluminum is too smooth and slippery for me.

Also, it's a good idea to apply it then leave it alone for at least 6 hours so the skin can fully adhere to the iPad.

I'm at work now. I'll post some pics later.

DoubleDose

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2008
I installed the Skinomi full body protector on a couple iPads yesterday.

The cutouts were perfect. The trickiest parts are the rounded corners. The trick is to use less solution. The corners won't stick well if there's too much solution. I suggest keeping a blow dryer nearby to dry out areas that may not be sticking well.

The feel is great. The screen protector feels smooth and the back has a grippier feel. The bare aluminum is too smooth and slippery for me.

Also, it's a good idea to apply it then leave it alone for at least 6 hours so the skin can fully adhere to the iPad.

I'm at work now. I'll post some pics later.

Good to hear. I had them on my Kindle Fire I think and remembered being pleased. It's all about the ones with lifetime warranties.

Looking forward to your video and I'll def heed your tips about the blow dryer.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I bought this one by Bodyguardz. It's $17 or $13.50 if you register on their web site. They'll replace it for the cost of postage during the lifetime of your product.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Looking for a clear rear skin for iPad Air

Here are some pics of the Skinomi full body protector from Amazon.

bemypedy.jpg
umunape6.jpg
remenu2u.jpg
9evymuqy.jpg
vehuvy4y.jpg
6egasana.jpg

DoubleDose

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2008
Def adds a lot of gloss. Worth the shot for the low price. If it bugs me I'll get the matte back i guess. Looks clean though.

susa

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2009
Canada
Got bestskinsever last year for my mini. The back. It never did stick well to the corners, and now all sides are sticking up.
Is there a clear skin - matte would be nice - that sticks better? Has bestskinsever improved over the last year? Otherwise, I may compromise and try a clear silicone/gel back and skin for front. I hate to cover up such a great looking device, but i do want to protect it.

andy769

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Here are some pics of the Skinomi full body protector from Amazon.

bemypedy.jpg
umunape6.jpg
remenu2u.jpg
9evymuqy.jpg
vehuvy4y.jpg
6egasana.jpg

Looks very nice! Thanks. Could you tell me if it's a slippery type of plastic or more like a sticky orange peel type of protector?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.