Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rrandyy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
Chronology of past events:
1. Owned iPhone #1 with first phone number (and iMessage).
2. Purchased iPhone #2 with second phone number (and iMessage).
3. Combined iMessage accounts for both phone numbers, thus I received iMessages sent to first phone number and the second phone number at iPhone #2.
4. Ported first phone number to Google Voice and canceled AT&T service.

Currently
I still receive iMessages sent to both first and second phone numbers at iPhone #2.

Questions
1. Can I wipe out/sell iPhone #1 while continuing to receive iMessages for the first phone number at iPhone #2?

2. If not, is there any work-around to maintain the iMessage capability for the first phone number at iPhone #2?

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
If you ported the first number, then it's still yours. The phone number isn't tied to the phone.

You should be able to do exactly that- wipe/reset phone and sell.

rrandyy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
If you ported the first number, then it's still yours. The phone number isn't tied to the phone.

You should be able to do exactly that- wipe/reset phone and sell.

Yes, but also not tied to an iPhone... shouldn't apple disable imessage if someone moves to android, for example? Otherwise, folks would continue to send iMessages without any way for the Android user to receive them.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
in your imessage screen, do you have both phone numbers listed?

Yes, but also not tied to an iPhone... shouldn't apple disable imessage if someone moves to android, for example? Otherwise, folks would continue to send iMessages without any way for the Android user to receive them.

and not necessarily. he shouldve logged out of imessage first. that wouldve prevented this whole issue. you cant count on it disabling imessage on its own.

rrandyy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
in your imessage screen, do you have both phone numbers listed?

and not necessarily. he shouldve logged out of imessage first. that wouldve prevented this whole issue. you cant count on it disabling imessage on its own.

Yes, both numbers are listed.

"Prevent this whole issue?" I *want* to keep the iMessages going. I don't want them to stop. The question is how can I make it permanent.

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Short version: You don't have to do anything at this point.

A bit longer:

To keep it permanent, don't delete the phone number that you've ported to Google Voice from your iMessage settings. That's pretty much all you need to do, or don't do as it were.

The last guy you replied to I believe was thinking that some other person now had your old number and you were getting HIS/HER iMessages, which as I understand what you're saying, isn't the case at all.

In the future- if you change phone numbers/ switch to a non-Apple device, you'd go into iMessage settings and delete the phone number/email/whatever from the list of 'available to receive iMessages' list, or whatever they're calling it... once you delete the number from that list, the Apple server no longer attempts to send your iMessages to that number.

That's how I understand it to work, anyways. Hell maybe I'm confusing myself now.

If it's working right now, it should keep working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.