Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 25, 2009
Hey all, very OCD question,

I just got a new 13 Retina MBP and noticed that the left side of my trackpad has a different clicking sound than the right side. The left is a little more deep and muffled, the right is more "clicky" and high pitched. Was wondering if anyone else's is like this as well??

Thanks

mskill

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2013
I picked up a new 15" rMBP today. While I don't hear a difference when clicking either side of the trackpad, I did notice when tapping on the left side it made a noise versus the right which was silent. Anyone else?

toneLA

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2013
Beverly Hills, CA
We were discussing trackpad sounds last week. The OP wondered why the Air sounded different than the Pro. The Pro has a more pronounced and robust sound/feel to it vs the flimsy-(er) trackpad area on the Air being more shallow.

Here I wouldn't be able to tell you whether this is a manufacturing defect or not. My former early-2013 rMBP did the same. It was 'softer' on one side (right) and harder on the other.

During the 8-months I've had it, it never broke down on me or anything. It was more of an 'audible' quirk. I think it's probably a trackpad batch that has a different response to manual inputs.

Now on my new 15-inch, it's perfectly even.

If you're bothered for 'audible reasons', you should go get an exchange. Though that's mostly not gonna create problems down the road if you can live with it. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 25, 2009
We were discussing trackpad sounds last week. The OP wondered why the Air sounded different than the Pro. The Pro has a more pronounced and robust sound/feel to it vs the flimsy-(er) trackpad area on the Air being more shallow.

Here I wouldn't be able to tell you whether this is a manufacturing defect or not. My former early-2013 rMBP did the same. It was 'softer' on one side (right) and harder on the other.

During the 8-months I've had it, it never broke down on me or anything. It was more of an 'audible' quirk. I think it's probably a trackpad batch that has a different response to manual inputs.

Now on my new 15-inch, it's perfectly even.

If you're bothered for 'audible reasons', you should go get an exchange. Though that's mostly not gonna create problems down the road if you can live with it. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Huh so yours had the same thing? I wonder if there is a spring on each side and they can be from different manufacturers or have different tensions or something?

toneLA

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2013
Beverly Hills, CA
Huh so yours had the same thing? I wonder if there is a spring on each side and they can be from different manufacturers or have different tensions or something?

Yes, the gen-1 refreshed in February. Now this one doesn't. I understand that kind of OCD, especially when it's a $2.6K machine. I'm sure it won't fail on you during the life of the device. Just a tiny quirk.

fitgirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2013
I picked up a new 15" rMBP today. While I don't hear a difference when clicking either side of the trackpad, I did notice when tapping on the left side it made a noise versus the right which was silent. Anyone else?

Ya I kind of get this too, I don't about yours but mine almost sounds like a spring sound when clicked but it really doesn't bother me I'd rather have that then ghosting image/yellow tint or a creaking case of which I have now, also I tried pressing down firmly on the track pad and it has seemed to have gotten better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.