Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Oct 30, 2013, 05:56 PM   #1
photogineer
macrumors newbie

DisplayPort to DVI not working

So, I bought the Mini, finally, and I've been pretty happy with it. I ordered a Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter on Amazon, and it arrived today, for my 19" secondary monitor, and I'm having an issue.

I connected the adapter to the Mac while it was running (is this a problem?) and plugged in to the DVI cable going to the monitor, and nothing happened. Do I have to enable it somehow? I was hoping it would just appear in the Display settings somewhere. I have tried rebooting, unplugging and replugging it a bunch of times, and it just doesn't go anything. I plugged the same cable in to the included HDMI to DVI adapter and it works fine, so I know the DVI cable is ok, but I need the HDMI port to run my main 24" monitor.

What should I do?

It's this adapter: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00425MQGA/..._26725410_item
It has multiple reviews of working with the Mac Mini, so I thought it would be ok, it's 1/3 the price of the Apple one and Prime eligible.

Matt

Last edited by photogineer; Oct 30, 2013 at 09:51 PM.
photogineer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2013, 06:07 PM   #2
opinio
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by photogineer View Post
So, I bought the Mini, finally, and I've been pretty happy with it. I ordered a Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter on Amazon, and it arrived today, for my 19" secondary monitor, and I'm having an issue.

I connected the adapter to the Mac while it was running (is this a problem?) and plugged in to the DVI cable going to the monitor, and nothing happened. Do I have to enable it somehow? I was hoping it would just appear in the Display settings somewhere. I have tried rebooting, unplugging and replugging it a bunch of times, and it just doesn't go anything. I plugged the same cable in to the included HDMI to DVI adapter and it works fine, so I know the DVI cable is ok, but I need the HDMI port to run my main 24" monitor.

What should I do?

It's this adapter: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00425MQGA/..._26725410_item
It has multiple reviews of working with the Mac Mini, so I thought it would be ok, it's 1/3 the price of the Apple one and Prime eligible.

Matt
If HDMI to DVI works, it sounds like the MDP to DVI adapter is faulty. Or the T-bolt/MDP port on the mini is faulty, althought that is very unlikely.
opinio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2013, 06:43 PM   #3
takiv
macrumors member

sounds like a bad adapter, I had one go bad on me after 6 months. Only why to really test is to try another adapter.
takiv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2013, 07:43 PM   #4
photogineer
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by takiv View Post
sounds like a bad adapter, I had one go bad on me after 6 months. Only why to really test is to try another adapter.
Well I just got back from the Apple store with a brand new adapter, Apple brand this time, and it's not working either. Grr...

Anything else I can try?
Old Oct 30, 2013, 09:50 PM   #5
photogineer
macrumors newbie

Ok, I guess the el cheapo adapter screwed it up somehow, I did a full cold restart and connected the Apple branded adapter and it finally just came right on.

There we go...

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini