Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boateng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
i need to buy an iPod

I heard the classic doesn't sound as good as the touch and nano? Is this true?

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
Newest Ipod nano (I think its 7G) plus new earpods.I cant say enough how great this combination sounds if you let the earpods burn in for about 50 hours and put some small foam covers on the tips that go in the ear.the foam dampens the treble a bit and the sound is amazing.Soundstage is huge.

boateng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
Newest Ipod nano (I think its 7G) plus new earpods.I cant say enough how great this combination sounds if you let the earpods burn in for about 50 hours and put some small foam covers on the tips that go in the ear.the foam dampens the treble a bit and the sound is amazing.Soundstage is huge.

Hmmm so you think its a better option than the classic or iPod touch?

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
Yes,for music only you cant beat the Nano since you dont have to deal with the internet like the Touch.Never heard the classic.

boateng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
Yes,for music only you cant beat the Nano since you dont have to deal with the internet like the Touch.Never heard the classic.

people say the nano is the worst in terms of sound quality

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
Well I think it all has to do with quality of the headphones and I love the new Apple earpods after I read how to do the simple mod I have stated.Many may disagree but i wonder how many tried the burn in and foam covers.Apple phones are easy to criticize based on the awful earbuds they included with their devices.These are a totally different design.

boateng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
Well I think it all has to do with quality of the headphones and I love the new Apple earpods after I read how to do the simple mod I have stated.Many may disagree but i wonder how many tried the burn in and foam covers.Apple phones are easy to criticize based on the awful earbuds they included with their devices.These are a totally different design.

Hmmm

was not sure what to get out of classic, iPod touch or nano?

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012
Why can't you buy a 5.5 with new battery off ebay? They sound better and are cheaper then newer ipods.

boateng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
Why can't you buy a 5.5 with new battery off ebay? They sound better and are cheaper then newer ipods.

Because i want a brand new iPod. I don't want a used one and have bad experiences buying used products off amazon/ebay i.e scracthes, only last a few weeks etc:eek:

I want a fresh iPod. If the new ones all sound bad i might as well forget it.:(

.Asa

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2013
RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!
The 5th generation iPod touch is easily the best sounding mobile device I've ever listened to. Far better than the nano, right on par with my dad's very expensive CD player if you load lossless music on it. If you get one refurbished I think they're currently $219 for 32 gigs, $299 for 64 gigs.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
I know the iPhone 4S and 4 have the best DAC (as of 2012) for mobile phones. Assuming the iPod Touch 4 Gen has the same DAC (since it is a non-cellular version of the iPhone 4) that would be a good option. There have been debates between the sound quality of the iPod Classic 5.5 and iPod Classic 7.0 (current one). It seems the 7.0 is more accurate and precise, while the 5.5 is warmer. Nano, except the first gen, are pretty crap. Shuffles currently have very good sound quality but they do have limited size capacity.

boateng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
The 5th generation iPod touch is easily the best sounding mobile device I've ever listened to. Far better than the nano, right on par with my dad's very expensive CD player if you load lossless music on it. If you get one refurbished I think they're currently $219 for 32 gigs, $299 for 64 gigs.

I want to buy one of the new ones....

Which is the best out of the new models.

----------

I know the iPhone 4S and 4 have the best DAC (as of 2012) for mobile phones. Assuming the iPod Touch 4 Gen has the same DAC (since it is a non-cellular version of the iPhone 4) that would be a good option. There have been debates between the sound quality of the iPod Classic 5.5 and iPod Classic 7.0 (current one). It seems the 7.0 is more accurate and precise, while the 5.5 is warmer. Nano, except the first gen, are pretty crap. Shuffles currently have very good sound quality but they do have limited size capacity.

Hmm so touch or classic?

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
Best sounding ipod?

I want to buy one of the new ones....

Which is the best out of the new models.

----------

Hmm so touch or classic?

It would depend a lot on your budget and features you want. Touch 4th Gen if you want to listen to music and possibly connect to wifi once in a while, watch videos etc. Prices will vary depending on size capacity (Also I'm not too sure about the DAC on the iPod Touch 4th Gen just an assumption). The classic if you want to store loads and music and music only (you can watch videos but on a small screen). 5.5 if you're cheap or 7.0 if you want a newer version with "better" build quality (take in note about the "warm" sound quality on the 5.5 vs the clearer more accurate sound quality on the 7.0).

boateng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
Who are "people"?

What headphones do you have?

What quality is the music you listen to?

Erm well if I were to get the nano or any iPod for that matter I would get the Shure SE215

The music I listen to are 90% iTunes purchased music....music bought from the iTunes store...

What do you recommend?

Policar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2004
I know the old Classic is supposed to be best due to the Wolfson DAC (and I have a high end external USB DAC driven by a wm8742, and will admit it is just awesome), but the iPhone 5 really impresses me relative to other portable players despite its apparently cheaper DAC and I don't think branding is everything. My guess is if the touch uses a similar DAC it will sound just great. Of course it's all subjective so try what you can. Go to the apple store with your favorite set of earbuds maybe?

Earbuds of course make all the difference. The new ear pods are ok… certainly a step up from the older ones, which really aren't bad for what they are, but I would not use them if I could afford something better. For the money I've found the triplefi IEMs to be the best… $99 I think? Or they used to be. Have had a few pairs. Great sound for what they are, but the cables constantly break.

MP3s sound pretty good to me. To me the difference between DACs is big, the difference between MP3 and .wav is close to imperceptable if you compress at a high nitrate... iTunes store ones are excellent.

boateng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
I know the old Classic is supposed to be best due to the Wolfson DAC (and I have a high end external USB DAC driven by a wm8742, and will admit it is just awesome), but the iPhone 5 really impresses me relative to other portable players despite its apparently cheaper DAC and I don't think branding is everything. My guess is if the touch uses a similar DAC it will sound just great. Of course it's all subjective so try what you can. Go to the apple store with your favorite set of earbuds maybe?

Earbuds of course make all the difference. The new ear pods are ok… certainly a step up from the older ones, which really aren't bad for what they are, but I would not use them if I could afford something better. For the money I've found the triplefi IEMs to be the best… $99 I think? Or they used to be. Have had a few pairs. Great sound for what they are, but the cables constantly break.

MP3s sound pretty good to me. To me the difference between DACs is big, the difference between MP3 and .wav is close to imperceptable if you compress at a high nitrate... iTunes store ones are excellent.

Hey

I plan to be using shure se215 earphones with the iPod choose...

I buy my music from iTunes.....are iTunes music good quality? Also what iPod you recommend?

kunai

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
Hey

I plan to be using shure se215 earphones with the iPod choose...

I buy my music from iTunes.....are iTunes music good quality? Also what iPod you recommend?

If you're using Shures, don't listen to Policar. Chances are you're going to be able to hear the differences. Always rip your music from CDs.

Policar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2004
If you're using Shures, don't listen to Policar. Chances are you're going to be able to hear the differences. Always rip your music from CDs.

Are you implying that .mp3 rips are better than iTunes store music? Or that lossless rips are better? Because the latter is technically sort of true (though effectively irrelevant); the former is insane.

And if you believe the latter to be true, do a double blind test between V0 and uncompressed 44.1khz/16 bit and get back to me.

The triple fis are much higher end IEMs than the Shures, and my reference system is a very high end DAC connected to a Stax 3030 system. I can easily tell the difference between a good DAC and a bad one and can tell the difference between 44.1khz/16bit and 192khz/24bit audio. I can tell the difference between V0 and 128kbps .mp3s.

V0 and uncompressed .wav I can't reliable differentiate between. I have yet to have anyone prove to me they can. iTunes store music sounds about as good as V0 to me and the rips are generally excellent, often derived from higher quality masters than CDs, and optimized for iPods.

Also, who sacrifices the size of their library (unless it's very small) for an imperceptible difference in sound?

I would say a current-gen iPod touch, iTunes store downloads, and the Shures will sound great. It takes much higher end gear than that for the difference between .mp3 and lossless compression to become relevant.

nitromac

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2012
US
Are you implying that .mp3 rips are better than iTunes store music? Or that lossless rips are better? Because the latter is technically sort of true (though effectively irrelevant); the former is insane.

And if you believe the latter to be true, do a double blind test between V0 and uncompressed 44.1khz/16 bit and get back to me.

The triple fis are much higher end IEMs than the Shures, and my reference system is a very high end DAC connected to a Stax 3030 system. I can easily tell the difference between a good DAC and a bad one and can tell the difference between 44.1khz/16bit and 192khz/24bit audio. I can tell the difference between V0 and 128kbps .mp3s.

V0 and uncompressed .wav I can't reliable differentiate between. I have yet to have anyone prove to me they can. iTunes store music sounds about as good as V0 to me and the rips are generally excellent, often derived from higher quality masters than CDs, and optimized for iPods.

Also, who sacrifices the size of their library (unless it's very small) for an imperceptible difference in sound?

I would say a current-gen iPod touch, iTunes store downloads, and the Shures will sound great. It takes much higher end gear than that for the difference between .mp3 and lossless compression to become relevant.

I would take 320kbps mp3 over iTunes store quality any day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.