Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
I've seen tons of sales offering the Tassimo and Keurig on discounts/sales. Can owners of products or people who know a bit about them give me insight on which one is better and why?

Appreciate it.

EDIT: Do any of these make coffee without K-Cups. Please explain that if you don't mind aswell.

Thanks.

MikeChicago

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2013
I have owned both. Each one has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Tassimo:

I have it now. It's far more reliable and I believe it makes a much better cup of coffee. The Tassimo has a barcode reader inside, which reads a barcode from the T-Disc and adjusts the brewing cycle accordingly (temperature, pressure, quantity of water, etc.) It's pretty intelligent and works remarkably well. Friends and family cannot tell the different between the espresso made with Tassimo and one made with an espresso machine. With the Tassimo you can make Cappuccinos, Lates, etc.

Now, the downside is the availability of T-Disc. There are relatively few brands represented here and just about all of them are high end European coffee houses (except for the dreaded Maxell House). Starbucks stopped supplying T-Discs (huge reason why I bought it, but they did replace it with good quality Gevalia coffee). The coffee is generally very good. You can of course order all of them online. Overall, T-Discs are more expensive.

Keurig:

I used to have it until it broke a month outside of the warranty period. $240 down the drain. A had the smaller one-cup Keurig which also broke fairly quickly. The brewing technology is very simple and is basically limited to the quantity of water used to brew the cup (large, medium, small). Every cup gets the same treatment, which honestly isn't always the best way to brew coffee. You cannot make Cappuccinos, Lates, or Espresso. Only a straight up cup of coffee. On the plus side, coffee is cheap and widely available.

So, to sum up:

Tassimo:
- Better coffee, more drink type choices.
- More reliable hardware (made by Bosch)
- Availability of coffee limited (few stores carry it)
- T-Discs more expensive
- No more Starbucks :(

Keurig:
- Good coffee, limited to simple cup.
- Less reliable hardware
- Availability is abundant (few stores don't carry it)
- K-cups are less expensive
- They have Starbucks!

So, it maybe hard to decide. Honestly, I'd go for a nice Tassimo and a small portable and cheap "Keurig" machine made by Hamilton. Best of both worlds.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
I've had several Keurigs over the years. I like it because of the huge variety of coffee/tea available for it and the fact you can buy K-Cups everywhere.

You can use your own ground coffee if you buy a refillable K-Cup. Keurig makes one called My K-Cup http://www.amazon.com/Keurig-K-Cup-Reusable-Coffee-Filter/dp/B000DLB2FI but there are a bunch of others.

I've never owned a Tassimo, but AFAIK, there's no way to use your own coffee in a Tassimo machine.

MyMac1976

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2013
I don't use Keurig but I do have a Tassimo. We bought a Tassimo for the house about 18 months ago it's nice because it'll make tea and other drinks but in my opinion the coffee it makes is not as good as the two Senseo's I have at my work apartment and work. I will say it make better coffee than my mother in law makes in their 2500 euro DeLonghi

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I don't use Keurig but I do have a Tassimo. We bought a Tassimo for the house about 18 months ago it's nice because it'll make tea and other drinks but in my opinion the coffee it makes is not as good as the two Senseo's I have at my work apartment and work. I will say it make better coffee than my mother in law makes in their 2500 euro DeLonghi

I might suggest that the quality of coffee produced by any machine, or coffee production method, for that matter, is far more dependent on the quality, freshness, and proper grind of the bean than the machine producing the coffee.

I don't question your personal experience, just suggest that the bean is the most important element in coffee.:)

MyMac1976

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2013
I might suggest that the quality of coffee produced by any machine, or coffee production method, for that matter, is far more dependent on the quality, freshness, and proper grind of the bean than the machine producing the coffee.

I don't question your personal experience, just suggest that the bean is the most important element in coffee.:)

You are the coffee expert, that last time I was in any quality coffee shop I worked in it and that was in 1995. I still like my Senseo's though ;)

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
I have owned both. Each one has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Tassimo:

I have it now. It's far more reliable and I believe it makes a much better cup of coffee. The Tassimo has a barcode reader inside, which reads a barcode from the T-Disc and adjusts the brewing cycle accordingly (temperature, pressure, quantity of water, etc.) It's pretty intelligent and works remarkably well. Friends and family cannot tell the different between the espresso made with Tassimo and one made with an espresso machine. With the Tassimo you can make Cappuccinos, Lates, etc.

Now, the downside is the availability of T-Disc. There are relatively few brands represented here and just about all of them are high end European coffee houses (except for the dreaded Maxell House). Starbucks stopped supplying T-Discs (huge reason why I bought it, but they did replace it with good quality Gevalia coffee). The coffee is generally very good. You can of course order all of them online. Overall, T-Discs are more expensive.

Keurig:

I used to have it until it broke a month outside of the warranty period. $240 down the drain. A had the smaller one-cup Keurig which also broke fairly quickly. The brewing technology is very simple and is basically limited to the quantity of water used to brew the cup (large, medium, small). Every cup gets the same treatment, which honestly isn't always the best way to brew coffee. You cannot make Cappuccinos, Lates, or Espresso. Only a straight up cup of coffee. On the plus side, coffee is cheap and widely available.

So, to sum up:

Tassimo:
- Better coffee, more drink type choices.
- More reliable hardware (made by Bosch)
- Availability of coffee limited (few stores carry it)
- T-Discs more expensive
- No more Starbucks :(

Keurig:
- Good coffee, limited to simple cup.
- Less reliable hardware
- Availability is abundant (few stores don't carry it)
- K-cups are less expensive
- They have Starbucks!

So, it maybe hard to decide. Honestly, I'd go for a nice Tassimo and a small portable and cheap "Keurig" machine made by Hamilton. Best of both worlds.

Damn. That's a solid comparison. Appreciate the time you took into posting

Thanks everyone else aswell. I'm going with a Tassimo#

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.