Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 10, 2005, 07:16 PM   #1
mopppish
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
cheap enough? (ibook G4)

Hi, all. I have been waiting for January's MWSF to see what will happen with ibook's. I don't have any intention to get an intel ibook; rather I figured I'd get a current G4 ibook at a discounted price.
I just checked Amazon's ibook prices, and they are selling the current 12" ibook for $899 BEFORE the $100 rebate. That's an $800 (before tax) ibook!
It sounds like a pretty good deal, and is only in effect until 12/20.
I don't NEED an ibook right now, however I'm wondering if even getting my edu discount on a reduced ibook in January from Apple will be this cheap. Do the prices on outdated comps ever drop that much?
And if not, is there any good reason NOT to buy from Amazon?
Thanks.
mopppish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 07:26 PM   #2
DaftUnion
macrumors 6502a
 
DaftUnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Send a message via AIM to DaftUnion
No one knows if the iBook's will even be updated in January for sure...they are just rumors afterall...but there is a good chance that they will be. $899 is a good deal for a 12" iBook though...even with an edu discount on Apple.com it's $949...If you want it...get it...there's something ALWAYS better around the corner so you can't play the waiting game forever.

Amazon.com though yes, of course is probably one of the most...if not the most reputable dealer in the world.
__________________
iMac G5 Rev. B/20"/2Ghz/SuperDrive/1GB RAM/400GB HD/Mac OS X.4.11
Switched 8/25/05
Custom 2.4Ghz Core2Duo/1GB Ram/NVIDIA 7600
iPhone 8gb
DaftUnion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 07:39 PM   #3
Mitthrawnuruodo
Moderator
 
Mitthrawnuruodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bergen, Norway
Unless you really need it I don't think it's a good deal. Of course the price is good, and I just love the iBooks, very nice little machines, but here's how I see it: One out of two things can happen at the Stevenote Jan 10th: No new iBooks for at least 3-6 months, in which case I guess the price isn't exactly going to increase, or a new Intel based line of 'Books ready "soon", in which case the price isn't going to drop much (even if there's a rumor iBooks will become $200 cheaper), but technology-wise they will kick the current one's butts. Either way, buying an iBook now, again unless you really need it, might be a bad idea...
__________________
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it; those who fail to learn history correctly... why, they are simply doomed.
Mitthrawnuruodo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 07:54 PM   #4
mopppish
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
keep in mind that I have no intention of getting a rev. A intelibook

all of the software I currently have for my imac is native to PPC (obviously)

and when I say I don't need the ibook NOW, I'll still definitely buy in January regardless to have it in time for next semester, so it's not that much earlier

I just doubt that if Steve announces any new ibook in January, the current model will be discounted as low as the amazon price

I don't really have any idea though because I've never checked out the liquidation prices upon a new product announcement...

ALSO, that $899 price is ringing up AT CHECKOUT i.e. BEFORE the mail-in-rebate, so it's an even better deal...
mopppish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 08:00 PM   #5
Mitthrawnuruodo
Moderator
 
Mitthrawnuruodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bergen, Norway
I still think you gonna get a better deal on an iBook G4 after Jan 10th. Especially if a Mactel iBook is out. The last rev G4 should drop in price...
__________________
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it; those who fail to learn history correctly... why, they are simply doomed.
Mitthrawnuruodo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 10:18 PM   #6
dmw007
macrumors 603
 
dmw007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Working for MI-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopppish
Hi, all. I have been waiting for January's MWSF to see what will happen with ibook's. I don't have any intention to get an intel ibook; rather I figured I'd get a current G4 ibook at a discounted price.
I just checked Amazon's ibook prices, and they are selling the current 12" ibook for $899 BEFORE the $100 rebate. That's an $800 (before tax) ibook!
It sounds like a pretty good deal, and is only in effect until 12/20.
I don't NEED an ibook right now, however I'm wondering if even getting my edu discount on a reduced ibook in January from Apple will be this cheap. Do the prices on outdated comps ever drop that much?
And if not, is there any good reason NOT to buy from Amazon?
Thanks.
At that price I would say go for it. I am the proud owner of a 12" 1.33GHz iBook G4 and I LOVE IT! If you are in the market for a new portable computer; then the current revision of the iBook G4's is highly recommended. Yes, the "Mactel" iBooks will be faster, but I find the current iBooks to be fast enough for the vast majority of uses.
__________________
3.2 GHz Mac Pro Nehalem
PowerBook 1400cs/133, 450MHz G4 Cube, 500MHz Pismo
iPhone 3GS, 60GB iPod
dmw007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 05:40 PM   #7
luvmac
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Do you know if I can still get ibook 12" for $899.99 BEFORE $100 rebate? I checked Amazon over the weekend and I see that price. However, right now, when I check Amazon, it said $999.99 BEFORE $100 rebate.

Please let me know.
luvmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 05:56 PM   #8
GWS
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta area
Was a 2-day sale

It appears that was only a 2-day sale at Amazon. They also had the 12" Powerbook with Superdrive for $150 off before mail-in rebate on Sunday only. Fortunately, I ordered the Powerbook that evening instead of sleeping on the decision. I checked Monday morning, just to see, and it was back at the regular price.

Keep checking Amazon, and other on-line vendors, you may find a similar deal. It seems Apple's 'books aren't selling that well right now, probably in anticipation of the Intel switch, so it appears some of the dealers are offering additional incentives. Also, monitor http://www.dealmac.com, they post all kinds of deals throughout the day.

Good luck!
Gary
GWS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 06:08 PM   #9
rye9
macrumors 65816
 
rye9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York (not NYC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmac
Do you know if I can still get ibook 12" for $899.99 BEFORE $100 rebate? I checked Amazon over the weekend and I see that price. However, right now, when I check Amazon, it said $999.99 BEFORE $100 rebate.

Please let me know.
I am in the same boat. I would buy the 12 in iBook for that price but I noticed also that the price went back up. My only hope is that they are on sale again this Friday. Amazon.com is advertisinig a sale on many things dec 16 only. Maybe they will be $800 with rebate again on that day. I sure hope so.
rye9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 06:17 PM   #10
ITASOR
macrumors 601
 
ITASOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oneida, NY
Send a message via AIM to ITASOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopppish
That's an $800 (before tax)
Amazon no chargie el tax.
__________________
11.6" MBA | 4GB | 64GB
ITASOR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 09:17 PM   #11
OldCorpse
macrumors 65816
 
OldCorpse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: compost heap
i'm not so sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye9
I am in the same boat. I would buy the 12 in iBook for that price but I noticed also that the price went back up. My only hope is that they are on sale again this Friday. Amazon.com is advertisinig a sale on many things dec 16 only. Maybe they will be $800 with rebate again on that day. I sure hope so.

I'm not sure the fact that Amazon is advertising a sale dec 16 has anything to do with the iBook going back down to $800 after rebates. Reason? Because Amazon already has a $100 rebate on the iBook that will last through dec 20 - which brings the price down to $900. The reason the price was down another $100 to $800 was because the second $100 rebate was an instant rebate from the manufacturer (Apple). So unless Apple decides to do another $100 rebate, Amazon has no say in the matter, as they are already providing a $100 rebate. And Apple doesn't decide its rebate policy based on what Amazon is doing, but rather on their entire retail channel. So Apple doesn't care what Amazon is doing dec. 16. Bottom line, you should not expect this deal again on Friday dec 16 based on the Amazon sale... nothing to do with it.

That said, it is still possible that Apple may decide at some point to do another $100 (or more!) rebate to get rid of their G4 stock in preparation for a January (?) launch of the Mactels. This Apple rebate may happen at any time... logically, I'd think it would be in time for the holidays... perhaps another one day deal. One problem: the Amazon $100 rebate expires on dec 20, so unless Apple does it between now and dec 20, you'll only get Apple's $100 rebate for a total of $900... exactly what it is now (since you won't be able to combine it with the Amazon rebate).

Then again, Apple may decide not to give any more rebates, and you're stuck with the $900 from Amazon (assuming you buy it by dec 20). Incidentally, there was also a free Mighty Mouse with an iBook purchase on Amazon through yesterday... no longer available today. So the best deal was last Sunday: $800 after rebates + free Mighty Mouse

What to do? I need to buy the 12" also. I couldn't do it until today (money issue). So, I couldn't take advantage of the great deal last Sunday. I'm going to monitor Amazon (and dealmac) for the next week - just in case another supersweet deal appears. If it does, I pounce on it. If not, I buy the iBook from Amazon on dec. 19 - because at least I get $100 off and taxfree (I will pay $10 for 2 day shipping though... I'm impatient). If I wait longer to buy, the Amazon rebate expires, and you're paying $1000, or waiting for some kind of miracle. Anyhoo, that's my plan.

OldCorpse
quietly rotting
OldCorpse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 09:28 PM   #12
rye9
macrumors 65816
 
rye9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York (not NYC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCorpse
I'm not sure the fact that Amazon is advertising a sale dec 16 has anything to do with the iBook going back down to $800 after rebates. Reason? Because Amazon already has a $100 rebate on the iBook that will last through dec 20 - which brings the price down to $900. The reason the price was down another $100 to $800 was because the second $100 rebate was an instant rebate from the manufacturer (Apple). So unless Apple decides to do another $100 rebate, Amazon has no say in the matter, as they are already providing a $100 rebate. And Apple doesn't decide its rebate policy based on what Amazon is doing, but rather on their entire retail channel. So Apple doesn't care what Amazon is doing dec. 16. Bottom line, you should not expect this deal again on Friday dec 16 based on the Amazon sale... nothing to do with it.

That said, it is still possible that Apple may decide at some point to do another $100 (or more!) rebate to get rid of their G4 stock in preparation for a January (?) launch of the Mactels. This Apple rebate may happen at any time... logically, I'd think it would be in time for the holidays... perhaps another one day deal. One problem: the Amazon $100 rebate expires on dec 20, so unless Apple does it between now and dec 20, you'll only get Apple's $100 rebate for a total of $900... exactly what it is now (since you won't be able to combine it with the Amazon rebate).

Then again, Apple may decide not to give any more rebates, and you're stuck with the $900 from Amazon (assuming you buy it by dec 20). Incidentally, there was also a free Mighty Mouse with an iBook purchase on Amazon through yesterday... no longer available today. So the best deal was last Sunday: $800 after rebates + free Mighty Mouse

What to do? I need to buy the 12" also. I couldn't do it until today (money issue). So, I couldn't take advantage of the great deal last Sunday. I'm going to monitor Amazon (and dealmac) for the next week - just in case another supersweet deal appears. If it does, I pounce on it. If not, I buy the iBook from Amazon on dec. 19 - because at least I get $100 off and taxfree (I will pay $10 for 2 day shipping though... I'm impatient). If I wait longer to buy, the Amazon rebate expires, and you're paying $1000, or waiting for some kind of miracle. Anyhoo, that's my plan.

OldCorpse
quietly rotting
How do you know that it was an instant rebate set by Apple? It wasn't in effect on apple.com im pretty sure.
rye9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 09:39 PM   #13
OldCorpse
macrumors 65816
 
OldCorpse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: compost heap
Quote:
Originally Posted by rye9
How do you know that it was an instant rebate set by Apple? It wasn't in effect on apple.com im pretty sure.
I didn't see that on Apple.com either, but I saw "instant manufacturers rebate", plus, Amazon displays other vendors who offer iBooks for sale, and it looked like all of them had it down by $100... of course, Amazon was still the better deal, because they also had their long-standing $100 (mail-in) rebate on top of that.

But hey, if I was hallucinating, and someone knows better, pipe up! I wish it was all an Amazon deal, cause then we could look forward to maybe another one!
OldCorpse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 09:53 PM   #14
rye9
macrumors 65816
 
rye9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York (not NYC)
I hope there is another price drop. Also, on amazon.com, if you type in CUSTAPPRSAVE when you place your order, you save another 5%! So, that would mean an $800 iBook - another 5%! Also, if you use amazon.com's search engine A9 for like two days, you can save another 1.57% off your order! That would calculate to an iBook around $755 dollars! Also, you get a free mighty mouse. Also, how could I forget no tax. Wow, i didnt realize how big a deal it is until now. I would definitely get that new iBook the second Apple takes off $100 again, however I dont think Apple will take off more than that though. But a free mouse and an iBook over $200 off is still a great deal, I could buy some software with the extra dough.
rye9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 10:10 PM   #15
OldCorpse
macrumors 65816
 
OldCorpse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: compost heap
how does that work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye9
I hope there is another price drop. Also, on amazon.com, if you type in CUSTAPPRSAVE when you place your order, you save another 5%! So, that would mean an $800 iBook - another 5%! Also, if you use amazon.com's search engine A9 for like two days, you can save another 1.57% off your order! That would calculate to an iBook around $755 dollars! Also, you get a free mighty mouse. Also, how could I forget no tax. Wow, i didnt realize how big a deal it is until now. I would definitely get that new iBook the second Apple takes off $100 again, however I dont think Apple will take off more than that though. But a free mouse and an iBook over $200 off is still a great deal, I could buy some software with the extra dough.
Yeah, I've read over and over about the A9 discount, but never looked into how exactly this works? How do they know you've been using it? Do you have to access Amazon by searching for it through A9 or what?

Also does the CUSTAPPRSAVE thing allow you to combine with the mail-in $100 rebate?

Guess, may as well do it all... I do like getting a deal, though I'll get the iBook this year, regardless
OldCorpse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 10:18 PM   #16
rye9
macrumors 65816
 
rye9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York (not NYC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCorpse
Yeah, I've read over and over about the A9 discount, but never looked into how exactly this works? How do they know you've been using it? Do you have to access Amazon by searching for it through A9 or what?

Also does the CUSTAPPRSAVE thing allow you to combine with the mail-in $100 rebate?

Guess, may as well do it all... I do like getting a deal, though I'll get the iBook this year, regardless
Idk if the CUSTAPPRSAVE works w/ the rebate or not. I think it does though. As for the A9 thing, as long as your logged in to your amazon.com account at all times it should work fine. All you have to do is go to amazon.com, and in the top right, search in the A9 toolbar thingy. Search for like 3 things a day for like 3 days and the you will see a symbol appear next to the amazon.com tab on the upper right. If this is confusing, just go to amazon.com, click on the A9 symbol, and a window will appear telling you how it works to get the 1.57% discount as well as FAQ's for the A9 discount.
rye9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 10:40 PM   #17
mopppish
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by rye9
I hope there is another price drop. Also, on amazon.com, if you type in CUSTAPPRSAVE when you place your order, you save another 5%! So, that would mean an $800 iBook - another 5%! Also, if you use amazon.com's search engine A9 for like two days, you can save another 1.57% off your order! That would calculate to an iBook around $755 dollars! Also, you get a free mighty mouse. Also, how could I forget no tax. Wow, i didnt realize how big a deal it is until now. I would definitely get that new iBook the second Apple takes off $100 again, however I dont think Apple will take off more than that though. But a free mouse and an iBook over $200 off is still a great deal, I could buy some software with the extra dough.
Wish you would have posted that a few days ago. I could have saved another$45!
I really can't complain though after the super price I got anyway, can I?
mopppish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 10:48 PM   #18
OldCorpse
macrumors 65816
 
OldCorpse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: compost heap
Quote:
Originally Posted by rye9
Idk if the CUSTAPPRSAVE works w/ the rebate or not. I think it does though. As for the A9 thing, as long as your logged in to your amazon.com account at all times it should work fine. All you have to do is go to amazon.com, and in the top right, search in the A9 toolbar thingy. Search for like 3 things a day for like 3 days and the you will see a symbol appear next to the amazon.com tab on the upper right. If this is confusing, just go to amazon.com, click on the A9 symbol, and a window will appear telling you how it works to get the 1.57% discount as well as FAQ's for the A9 discount.
Thanks rye9, I may just be too lazy to check out that faq seeing as that the A9 dicount will be not much more than $10... then again, I want 2 day shipping which is $10, so maybe I shouldn't be so lazy... but then again, is it worth my time when every hour I could be working my great job at McD's earning $6 an hour instead of looking through the faq... then again, I'm already spending tons of time on this board, so why not do something productive and look into that faq... then again, seeing as I am dead, what's the point... then again, I would like to get as great a deal as I can on the iBook, just on the principle of it... then again---

OldCorpse
quietly rotting
OldCorpse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 10:19 AM   #19
GWS
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta area
12" iBook on sale again at Amazon

For those of you who missed it last weekend and wished you could have taken advantage of the sale, Amazon has dropped the price on the 12" iBook by $100 again today. This is in addition to their $100 mail-in rebate, plus other accessory/software rebates and other shipping and tax savings. Better order quick! Sale only lasted a couple days before, and with the holidays almost here it may not be repeated.

Good luck!
Gary
GWS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 10:47 AM   #20
NYmacAttack
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NY
Its a good deal but you always have to wonder what will be coming out next month.
__________________
Black MB C2D 2.16
NYmacAttack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 11:41 AM   #21
luvmac
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I just place an order for ibook and microsoft office for Mac for Student ($50 rebate). The order should arrive by Dec 23....

However, I notice that you can get free mighty mouse after mail-in rebate. You need to buy from Amazon and it said it will ship within 1-2 weeks.

Do you know if all 3 items above need to be in one order? I put them in one order and select free shipping and all my shipment got delayed out! Meaning, I won't get ibook by Dec 23.

Btw, I try to use CUSTAPPRSAVE promotion code and it won't work.
luvmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 12:02 PM   #22
OldCorpse
macrumors 65816
 
OldCorpse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: compost heap
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmac
I just place an order for ibook and microsoft office for Mac for Student ($50 rebate). The order should arrive by Dec 23....

However, I notice that you can get free mighty mouse after mail-in rebate. You need to buy from Amazon and it said it will ship within 1-2 weeks.

Do you know if all 3 items above need to be in one order? I put them in one order and select free shipping and all my shipment got delayed out! Meaning, I won't get ibook by Dec 23.

Btw, I try to use CUSTAPPRSAVE promotion code and it won't work.
The CUSTAPPRSAVE coupon doesn't work for anyone, though that A9 one works just fine... for me the A9 one resulted in $14.90 cent savings.

Re: shipment... I selected the free shipping option, and bought only the iBook and the Mighty Mouse at the same time... the confirmation email said that my order will arrive in two shipments anyway. First the iBook will arrive Dec 22 - Dec 23, then the Mighty Mouse separately on Dec. 23... so, I don't know why your's got delayed... r u sure?

OldCorpse
quietly rotting
OldCorpse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 12:46 PM   #23
luvmac
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Hi OldCorpse,

Are you sure you buy mighty mouse from amazon and not the third party?
luvmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 01:15 PM   #24
OldCorpse
macrumors 65816
 
OldCorpse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: compost heap
pretty sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmac
Hi OldCorpse,

Are you sure you buy mighty mouse from amazon and not the third party?
Well, Amazon seems pretty clear, here's the relevant text from their site:

Mail-in rebate: Get a free Apple Mighty Mouse after mail-in rebate (up to a $50 value) when you it and this iBook from Amazon.com. (Applies only to products sold by Amazon.com. Does not apply to products sold on our site by third-party merchants or through third-party areas such as Amazon.com Marketplace, Auctions, or zShops.) See details.


And the words refering to the mouse are hyperlinked to the Amazon mouse... seems pretty clear to me

OldCorpse
quietly rotting
OldCorpse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 01:22 PM   #25
luvmac
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I just want to make sure because when I click on the hyperlink, it shown that the mighty mouse was sold by either J&J, Vann or Compusa. I think it's because this third party is ready to ship and Amazon won't ship out until 1-2 weeks. I need to click on buy new&use, then I find amazon.... Amazon sells this for $49. I think others sell it for $49.99....
luvmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where to find cheap iBook G4s? LOLZpersonok PowerPC Macs 23 May 21, 2014 05:57 PM
What would be a good, cheap USB dongle for my iBook? Ariii PowerPC Macs 9 Dec 29, 2012 06:47 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC