Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoliky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Hello,
I would like to use iCloud Keychain with Safari.
I do not understand why do we need this 4-digit password? If someone knows this 4-digit password can access all my passwords stored in iCloud? IMO 4-digits password is quite weak.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-31 at 1.37.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-31 at 1.37.07 PM.png
    77.3 KB · Views: 77

Beavix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2010
Romania
The iCloud security code is used for setting up the keychain on another device you own. Knowing that security code is not enough for someone to access your paswords. He/she also needs your iCloud username and password.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
It's also only required when you set it up...I have an iPhone so got a text message with a code to input also.. Once done on all your devices, you shouldn't see that....I always uncheck "Require Password On Wakeup" too, as it's annoying, but I don't mind the enhanced security.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I would like to use iCloud Keychain with Safari.
I do not understand why do we need this 4-digit password? If someone knows this 4-digit password can access all my passwords stored in iCloud? IMO 4-digits password is quite weak.
It's used for adding new devices and for retrieving your passwords from Apple's cloud if you lose all your devices:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5813

So yes, if someone gets hold of your Apple ID password and this code, they can theoretically access your passwords, so I'd strongly recommend to choose a stronger code. Note that you can skip the creation of a security code, in which case retrieving the passwords from the cloud is not possible according to Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.