Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Old Oct 31, 2013, 07:35 AM   #1
rk25123
macrumors regular

So, Apple, care to explain what are we supposed to do with our AuthenTec readers?!

Many people using AuthenTec's fingerprint readers with the TrueSuite software had a very nice surprise from Apple when they upgraded to OS X 10.9... After the update it was impossible to login! Seriously?! Apple freaking owns the company and they didn't even consider this?! Outstanding job!
There do is a workaround which allows you to bypass the login screen to uninstall TrueSuite, gaining back access to your account, but personally I opted for a clean install, hoping to avoid further problems.
Anyway, once this problem is solved, one question remains...
What are we supposed to do with our AuthenTec fingerprint readers?
I've got two Eikon readers, one of which I bought 2 months ago, are them completely worthless now? Since Apple bought the company their website vanished, and no one knows if there is going to be any type of support for these readers... I'm not asking for new features, I just want to be able to use them like I did on OS X 10.8, it shouldn't take much work and it doesn't seem an unreasonable request to me...
Anyone in the same boat?
rk25123 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2013, 09:29 AM   #2
StuR
macrumors newbie

I'm in the same boat. I don't know why so many folks worship everything that company does.
Personally I find their software quality lacking in many areas not to mention their "not invented here" mentality.
StuR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 01:02 PM   #3
beeber
macrumors newbie

disappointed too

I've had Upek Eikons on my laptop and MacPro for years now, since 10.6. How great is it to swipe a finger to log-in, authorize application installations, or wake from sleep?

I updated my 2011 MacBook Pro to 10.9 and realized the sensor and True Suite software wern't going to work with Mavericks. I would like to upgrade to Mavericks on my MacPro but I haven't for the single reason: I don't want to give up my fingerprint reader.

The comment that Apple owns the company that made the sensor and software is not quite true. They bought the company and broke it up to use their technology. Which probably is why we have a fingerprint sensor in the iPhone 5S. But there is no reason why Apple couldn't update or even reinvent the product. I was hoping that Apple would come out with a new line of fingerprint sensor/software. Hell, I'd toss out my Upek Eikons if I could just get a replacement that works with OS X Mavericks. C'mon Apple!
beeber is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)