Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Getintothegame

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012
Big Sky, MT
Looks great. Checking plans it looks like I can purchase an hour of data for $1. If this is the case, I'll be extremely happy.

At the worst, I can see what reception will be like in my area before the Mini comes out.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Why do we need those, don't they already come with the ipad?

If you get a T-Mo version, it comes with it.

You get another, like ATT, it does not. But you can then put it in and get the 200mb free deal.

You might want to read the many long threads already active all about this.

Dizzy810

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2009
I ordered one because my phones are on AT&T. While I am betting that the iPads are unlocked, I am going to get an AT&T one just to make sure it works with my carrier. If I can throw in this sim and get free data from T-Mobile then great. If not then I can still use it with AT&T if I see the need.

kpeex

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2013
VBVA
You get another, like ATT, it does not. But you can then put it in and get the 200mb free deal.

My T-mo SIMs came today. I'm thinking about buying the AT&T version just to have an AT&T SIM. I hope that I can still activate one of these T-mo SIMs for the 200 MB deal.

I wonder if all Carriers will offer no extra charge tethering to the iPad Air on all of their plans? It seems like a no-brainer to offer this for more data consumption, but who knows?

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Thank you very much. You just saved me $10. Now when I go get my ipad air that's one less thing to pay for.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Which SIM do I need to order for the iPad Air?
Nano SIM. Something I noticed, they have a SIM Starter Kit (free), Data SIM Starter Kit ($0.99) and a Mobile Broadband SIM ($0.99). I wonder if they're going to limit the different SIM cards by device type.

kjay80

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2011
Nano SIM. Something I noticed, they have a SIM Starter Kit (free), Data SIM Starter Kit ($0.99) and a Mobile Broadband SIM ($0.99). I wonder if they're going to limit the different SIM cards by device type.

I would like to know the difference on this.

FAsnakes

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2007
It would be cool to get 3 sims - to use up to 600mb a month for free. .
Likely more hassle than it's worth, but for a baller on a budget it might just be a viable option.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Likely more hassle than it's worth, but for a baller on a budget it might just be a viable option.

I have two Nano sims for T-Mobile that I use with my Mini/4S. There are times when I just want to have data on my 4S and use my actual phones sim in another phone.

Now with the free MBs that T-Mobiles gives per month, I have can use either sim.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
Would these work in an iPad 2 ATT version?
just remembered the 2 uses the micro SIM size...

I thought you needed the broadband verson on the Air?

I'd ask Tmo but I don't trust their reps to know the real world info...
I have a Tmo iPhone plan.

Last edited:

MaxPower49

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2008
So, I can buy any iPad Air... say the Sprint or Verizon versions... and pop this free SIM card in it and I will immediately start getting the 200mb/month free data, right?

No difference between doing this and actually buying the T-Mobile Air? Th reason I ask is the T-Mobile versions are apparently selling faster (or they have fewer), so they ship in "5-10 days" instead of "within 24 hours" like some of the others.

Thanks.

Oui

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012

And its people like you that will eventualy ruin it for everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.