Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tomiislaav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2013
Austria
Hey Guys,

I'm a Windows User, but by now I really get pissed of by random BSOD's and freezes, so I thought it's time to switch OS.

so here are my Questions:

What would fit my needs the best, an iMac or a Mac Pro? (I dont want a Mac Mini or a Macbook)

I usually do pretty standard stuff like surfing, and maybe editing a few pictures or videos from time to time. I would like to be able to run programs like Photoshop, Final Cut and maybe even Logic quite fluently.

I don't need the uber machine, but still want some power.

I personally think that the iMacs probably fit my needs the best, but I dont want to spend quite a bit of money to then realize I need a more powerful machine.

What would you guys suggest for about 900$? (only 2nd hand stuff please)

thanks

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
IMO for your usage a Mac Pro is way overkill. Any of the newer iMacs would do what you need. You can get a refurb. direct from Apple in your price range with a full, factory warranty. See here.

Corrosive vinyl

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2006
There are very few people that actually need a MacPro. Generally they are heavy business or graphic/video-oriented. Like, the college I went to had a lab of Mac Pros for their art students who did nothing but use them for heavy graphics/video editing.

Save a ridiculous amount of money and get an iMac and spec it out. The only after-market upgrade that most people do is upgrading the RAM because apple charges a premium for that. Just go to Crucial or Other World Computing and get 16-32GB.

Tomiislaav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2013
Austria
Thanks for the answers so far.
I also thought that the Mac Pro's are quite overkill for my purpose.

Is there maybe a specific iMac model you guys can recommend me?
I guess the newer models aren't within the price range of around 900-1000$ right?

Also, I am from europe, so if i would buy a used one somewhere in the US (where they seam to be best-priced imo), I also would have to pay quite alot of shipping costs I guess.

Gonzo3333

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Chicago, IL
You may want to try out a Mac Mini even though you don't want one. New ones are within your budget and if you don't like it you can return it to Apple within 14 days for a full refund or sell it fairly easily. Even current generation refurbished 21" iMacs are more than $1000. A Mac Mini would be the perfect entry into the Apple ecosystem. If you do end up liking the OS, you can get a more up to date iMac when your budget permits and use the mini as a home theatre PC or for extra storage.

Tomiislaav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2013
Austria
Thanks for the answers so far guys, but after searching the web a few hours yesterday, I think I narrowed it down to the iMac. I just don't really know which model.

Are there huge power differences between the single models?
As already said, I dont need something thats on par with a Mac Pro I guess, but I still want enough power to run some photo/video editing programs fluently.

I sadly don't know alot about the technology built into macs. And after searching through the web, I mostly return even more confused then I was before.

Corrosive vinyl

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2006
The Mini is great, but lacks in features compared to the iMac. It would be great as a media server, etc. for the home but to do what you want with photoshop may be lacking.

The iMac was updated with iris graphics while the Mini is still at HD 4000 graphics. The iMac also has wireless ac vs. n for airport wireless cards. You can also upgrade to the NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M with the iMac.

Tomiislaav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2013
Austria
Thanks for all the answers so far!

Could anyone tell which iMac would fit me best? I thought about a late 2009 or a newer one?

Which of the iMacs is by Apple User's recommended?

thanks

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Thanks for all the answers so far!

Could anyone tell which iMac would fit me best? I thought about a late 2009 or a newer one?

Which of the iMacs is by Apple User's recommended?

thanks

My personal opinion is the 27" iMacs from 2009 to 2011 are my choices. I am not sure to go for the slim iMacs that came out in late 2012. Because the inner components of the slim models are more compressed due to the slim housing and the cooling fan was smaller unlike the earlier models. This is my opinion though so others may prefer the slim model. Also keep in mind, iMacs glass screens tend to have dark smudges at the corners in time. I've used 2 iMacs and both had these smudges. But this is not to discourage you in getting an iMac. Just a heads up. Some may prefer a Mac Mini or Mac Pro as you can choose the type of monitor you want and would not deal with the iMac's screen problems. Happy buying.

MentalVizion

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2013
Austria
Though I don't know to much about Macs, I personally would go for a 27" iMac from 2009 or so. They probably could fit into your budget and give you the power you are looking for.

HarrisF

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2013
For me,I don't think going into the new ones will be a practical move. Pick something that's not too old yet not too new.

youtubin

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2013
I would say get the iMac 27" i5 from 2010 with 16GB RAM thats what i have. The one with 1GB of graphics card. Its still a beast :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.