Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Wow, the removal of SyncServices does not only affect iOS, but also sync software for other devices.

This settles it. Time to stop buying Macs. This one will stay with Mountain Lion.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
You're going to boycott an entire product line because of an issue you caused? Seems a bit over the top, but thanks for sharing your feelings anyways.

Edit: Apologies, thought the OP meant he removed SyncServices himself.

Last edited:

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
You're going to boycott an entire product line because of an issue you caused? Seems a bit over the top, but thanks for sharing your feelings anyways.

*I* caused? You mean *Apple* caused, THEY removed it from Mavericks.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
A swarm of bees!

If the OP wouldn't mind - and I mean this earnestly - what the removal means, that would be great.

I did find this little gem in an Apple doc wrt SyncServices:

"As if it were a swarm of bees, you should stay away from the SyncServices folder. Removing or modifying anything in the SyncServices folder - or in any subfolders within it - may cause unexpected issues. "

As if it were a swarm of bees!

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
You won't be missed.

Hopefully you can find another product that serves your needs better.

If the OP wouldn't mind - and I mean this earnestly - what the removal means, that would be great.

It means that if your device doesn't have iCloud there is no way to sync:

Contacts, Calendars, and Mail settings with Calendars, Contacts, Mail, and third-party applications that support SyncServices.

In other words if you were using a non apple device per say and synced your calendar with that device you can no longer do that in Mavericks and the foreseeable future unless the device supports some form of iCloud syncing.

OS X Mavericks v10.9 and later do not use SyncServices. Instead, Mavericks supports sharing your information using several network-based and cloud-based solutions. If you want to sync your information across multiple devices and computers, you should use one or more of these methods. These include iCloud, CardDAV servers, CalDAV servers, and servers that utilize the Exchange ActiveSync protocol.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004

It means Apple removed SyncServices from Mavericks, to that you can only sync Contacts, Calendars, etc. with a device using iCloud.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
That's the typical Apple way, isn't it - forcing people to move along to the new stuff.

I get your point though - there are plenty of issue with iCloud (hell, the cloud in general), it's not really fully baked yet, and there are some who have reasonable desires not to migrate.

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
That's the typical Apple way, isn't it - forcing people to move along to the new stuff.

I get your point though - there are plenty of issue with iCloud (hell, the cloud in general), it's not really fully baked yet, and there are some who have reasonable desires not to migrate.

Well there's also the fact that not all devices support iCloud so now if you own one that you used to sync you're either forced to run 10.8 or your device is now garbage.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
BTW, on Windows you can still sync your iOS device without using iCloud.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Some people already tried an OSX Server setup on their Mac for this and it did not work.

Schubi

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2013
It means Apple removed SyncServices from Mavericks, to that you can only sync Contacts, Calendars, etc. with a device using iCloud.
This is incorrect. You can use CardDav and CalDav to sync to your own 'cloud' service, such as owncloud.org.

drew627

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
Doesn't this work?.... It's not iCloud...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-01 at 1.12.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-01 at 1.12.19 AM.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 378

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
The point is to be able to sync the builtin applications without using online services.

Blackberry Link still works with the builtin apps because it doesn't use SyncServices for those.

But The Missing Sync for Android does not work anymore, like some other utilities.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Me too

And it doesn't look like this is a large concern for most folks but for me, and those in similar circumstances, syncing through the cloud is an unsatisfactory solution. :mad::mad::mad:
I can still sync through my PC but now I have no easy solution to keep my contacts current on my Macs without using the cloud and the cloud, in my experience, ain't ready.

But Apple won't care if they lose only 1% (a wag) of their user base.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.