Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackofharts

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
I just cannot decide, I am UK based and have an iPhone, so could tether. Have to get up and buy one, but which?

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
what kind of question is this? my gut is telling me choose your own ipad. I would want neither of those.

if you need help deciding between two models just say so.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
With all due respect, that question can not be answered here. After all, there are a few hundred asking about 16 vs 32. What sort of answer would they give?

But, since you asked, I am getting 128 with cellular, probably ATT - have already ordered T-Mo sim

jackofharts

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Which one do you think will serve your day to day needs the most? You really are the only one who can answer that question.

Which one would serve your day to day needs? I'm interested here in a general consensus. More memory or more connectivity. I also enjoy hearing others opinions on which they think suits them.

Fliesen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
Austria
you can cut down on your storage needs.
you can, however, not situationally just "add" a 3G / LTE modem (when traveling abroad, popping in a local prepaid SIM is just incredibly convenient)

shadow puppet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
4th padded cell on the right
Which one would serve your day to day needs? I'm interested here in a general consensus. More memory or more connectivity. I also enjoy hearing others opinions on which they think suits them.
What I meant was none of us know how you plan to use it (memory wise) or what your connectivity is. It wasn't meant as a slight, just stating the obvious. I've read through pretty much thread every here and there are many in the same boat. Sometimes the consensus can confuse you more. So going with your gut and putting that together with your usage needs, should help you.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
I bought an iPad 4 128GB several months ago, and loaded it with a TON of music and movies. That only used 70GB, and a lot of the music is never listened to. If the extra $100USD isn't an issue, get the most storage, but 64GB is fine if you don't have any special need for more.

The 3G is going to cost more in the long run (rather quickly, actually), so tethering a 64GB would be my choice.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
More storage, Wi-Fi only. No need or desire to pay for a data connection when there's plenty of free WiFi where I tend to be.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Which one you should get really depends on your usage. If those two are my only choices, I'd get the 128GB Wi-Fi. I need the large local storage more than I do cellular data.

Personally though, I'd just wait another month before getting the iPad so I can save the extra $100 for the 128GB LTE model.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
My 32gb iPad 2 is at 24gb full so my gut tells me 128gb is just a waste of money.

THFourteen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
London
no idea what people do with their ipads that means they need 128gb of storage.

Just need to be a little more organised about keeping apps and things that you never use.

It's like loading up 50 TV series at once or something just in case you get stuck on a desert island for a month.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
128 wifi. Ill tether to my iPhone when needed. The extra ten bucks a month wouldn't do much for me.

FAsnakes

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2007

Just need to be a little more organised about keeping apps and things that you never use.

It's like loading up 50 TV series at once or something just in case you get stuck on a desert island for a month.

Hahaha, well you just really never know!?

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida

Or maybe you want to keep all your pictures and music with you. Just because YOU don't gave 129GB of music and pictures doesn't mean other people don't.

And why mess with copying stuff off to make room when you can have it all (or at least 128GB worth) with you? :confused:

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
128GB WiFi tethered to my 5S. Very tempted to get the LTE and pop a T-Mobile SIM in it though....

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
Go big or go home.

I had 15 minutes to decide while waiting in line yesterday at Apple store. I went from Silver 64GB LTE to 128GB Space Grey LTE.

80% of my library in iTunes are in HD. I have Movies that are 8GB. This was the reason why.

As for LTE, IMO Wi-Fi is so 90's I can't bother looking or tethering.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
My 32gb iPad 2 is at 24gb full so my gut tells me 128gb is just a waste of money.

My 64GB iPad 3 is virtually full and I've had to take certain things off it so my gut tells me that 128GB is not a waste of money for me or for a lot of other people who have bought 128GB iPads.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
My 64GB iPad 3 is virtually full and I've had to take certain things off it so my gut tells me that 128GB is not a waste of money for me or for a lot of other people who have bought 128GB iPads.

I could've said _for me_ but I figured that was implied. a 128GB _for me_ would be a waste of money because I can't imagine even getting to the 50+GB available on my new iPad. And since I got Applecare, even with an EPP discount, 128GB would've took me in the $1k+ range, at which point, I'd probably just buy an 11" MBA. (not counting the $150 keyboard case I've ordered)

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

Umm just because you have no need for the extra storage doesn't mean others don't. Its got absolutely nothing to do with organisation. You may be fine with having to manage your content and not having everything at hand or as much as possible but not everyone is the same as you. I like the ability to have anything I want to use on my iPad depending on my mood and what I feel like playing, watching, listening to or want app I want to use. That's my choice and my preference. There is nothing wrong in that.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
My gut says I've had a cellular iPad 3 since release and have not required using data one time. I always have my iPhone with me, and the 5s is plenty fast OTA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.