Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomegun

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2007
Las Vegas
I have a mid 2011, 27" iMac with 3.4Ghz i7, 16Gb of Ram and 1TB hard drive. I routinely get the spinning beach ball. I have checked Activity Monitor and of course the Ram isn't all used when this happens. This happens for routine stuff like working in Excel, Word, Safari, etc. It also happens with Aperture, but I think that is just Aperture.

I don't like this, but part of my problem is I also have an early 201, 15" Macbook pro with a 2Ghz i7 processor and 16Gb of Ram...with a SSD in it. I guess the SSD highlighted the spinning beach ball in the iMac, but should I get it with the applications I use?

I have called Apple (I have Applecare) a few times and took it in once. I am taking it in again on Saturday.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
I have a mid 2011, 27" iMac with 3.4Ghz i7, 16Gb of Ram and 1TB hard drive. I routinely get the spinning beach ball. I have checked Activity Monitor and of course the Ram isn't all used when this happens. This happens for routine stuff like working in Excel, Word, Safari, etc. It also happens with Aperture, but I think that is just Aperture.

I don't like this, but part of my problem is I also have an early 201, 15" Macbook pro with a 2Ghz i7 processor and 16Gb of Ram...with a SSD in it. I guess the SSD highlighted the spinning beach ball in the iMac, but should I get it with the applications I use?

I have called Apple (I have Applecare) a few times and took it in once. I am taking it in again on Saturday.

Are you on mavericks?

tomegun

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2007
Las Vegas
Are you on mavericks?

I am on Mavericks, but this has been an on-going situation for some time. Actually, the guy from Applecare alluded to the fact that it had been a while since I called them about this. I told him that I am always busy and don't sit down to it all the time. I really didn't appreciate his comment about this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.