Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndrewMRiv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Hello, all. I have browsed this site for a long and I have finally decided to start posting.

My question is on if I should repair or replace my Late 2010 White MacBook.

I got this in early 2011 (it was my first Mac, so I foolishly bought it near the end of its cycle). Despite that, it was worked well since then and has been upgraded thoroughly (SSD, data doubler with 1tb storage, 8gb of ram, etc.) and it showed no sign of failure until now.

Last week, a water bottle in my car spilled entirely and drenched my MacBook. I let it dry in a container with rice and damp rid for several days and just took it to the Genius Bar.

The cost to repair it (change battery and logic board) would bring it to around $250ish.

I have invested tons of money into this over the years but would replacing it be foolish? Would I be better off dropping nearly $1800 for a new MacBook Pro with retina?

I don't need a super powerful MacBook since I now do my crazy thighs on my Mac Pro (recording music, editing videos, etc) and would need more for email, internet browsing, videos, etc.

Is it risky repairing and am I just setting myself up for failure again? Or is it worth not upgrading?

Thank you

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
I'd repair it assuming both the SSD and hard drive are still good. You're getting a new battery which is about $100, and another $150 to replace the logic board. That's a very good deal.

AndrewMRiv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Thank you very much for the replies. I will definitely go for that repair.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Hello, all. I have browsed this site for a long and I have finally decided to start posting.

My question is on if I should repair or replace my Late 2010 White MacBook.

I got this in early 2011 (it was my first Mac, so I foolishly bought it near the end of its cycle). Despite that, it was worked well since then and has been upgraded thoroughly (SSD, data doubler with 1tb storage, 8gb of ram, etc.) and it showed no sign of failure until now.

Last week, a water bottle in my car spilled entirely and drenched my MacBook. I let it dry in a container with rice and damp rid for several days and just took it to the Genius Bar.

The cost to repair it (change battery and logic board) would bring it to around $250ish.

I have invested tons of money into this over the years but would replacing it be foolish? Would I be better off dropping nearly $1800 for a new MacBook Pro with retina?

I don't need a super powerful MacBook since I now do my crazy thighs on my Mac Pro (recording music, editing videos, etc) and would need more for email, internet browsing, videos, etc.

Is it risky repairing and am I just setting myself up for failure again? Or is it worth not upgrading?

Thank you

Wow, only $250? That's pretty good. Most mac repairs cost WAY more than that. Guess when my logic board dies, I won't be buying a new MB, I'll just get repairs.

gooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2013
let's forget the repair for a minute. there's no way i would spend $1,800 on a laptop for the uses you described.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.