Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hellomoto4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Australia
Hi everyone,

I was lucky enough to pick up an iPad air today, after moving on from my older, 30-pin laden iPad 2.

In the past, I've used a clock radio with a 30-pin connector on top (iHome) but I'm sick of the look of it (would prefer an aluminium finish) and it's now no good to me with the old 30-pin connector.

So, I'm asking for you to post your favourite dock, whether it be either a clock-radio type dock or even a beautiful charging dock (á la HiRise). Ideally, as previously mentioned, I'd love a dock with aluminium finish but I'm definitely willing to steer away for something just as good-looking.

Thank you for your suggestions in advance!

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
Hi everyone,

I was lucky enough to pick up an iPad air today, after moving on from my older, 30-pin laden iPad 2.

In the past, I've used a clock radio with a 30-pin connector on top (iHome) but I'm sick of the look of it (would prefer an aluminium finish) and it's now no good to me with the old 30-pin connector.

So, I'm asking for you to post your favourite dock, whether it be either a clock-radio type dock or even a beautiful charging dock (á la HiRise). Ideally, as previously mentioned, I'd love a dock with aluminium finish but I'm definitely willing to steer away for something just as good-looking.

I'm wondering the same thing. I'd like an Apple or other good dock for my Air so I don't have to lay it down while charging.

Captain Spekkie

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2009
The Netherlands
A few monts ago i bought a Philips DC295 docking station.

mainPhoto.jpg

It is build from aluminum, both iPhone en iPad compatible.
But i don't know if it is available outside of the Netherlands. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, and it works great with the air :)

Agile55

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2008
TX
Hi everyone,

Interested in this as well but let me just say a resounding THANK YOU hellomoto4 for such a pleasant & positive post.

Reading your OP was VERY refreshing & something not seen on MRs enough. Well done mate, we need more civility here exactly as you displayed.

SMELTN

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
I was very pleasently suprised to find out my Hi-Rise which I use for my iPhone 5s and iPad Mini, works perfect with the my iPad Air!! This is a fantastic dock!!

Attachments

• hirise.JPG
    hirise.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,330

hulkki

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
I was very pleasently suprised to find out my Hi-Rise which I use for my iPhone 5s and iPad Mini, works perfect with the my iPad Air!! This is a fantastic dock!!

How stable the Hirise is with iPad Air?

hellomoto4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Australia

Saw something like this also, but was concerned that they might be a bit plasticky looking. Would love to know now they turn out!

Interested in this as well but let me just say a resounding THANK YOU hellomoto4 for such a pleasant & positive post.

Reading your OP was VERY refreshing & something not seen on MRs enough. Well done mate, we need more civility here exactly as you displayed.

Agile55, I appreciate that you took the time to post this great feedback. Hopefully this leads to more positive posts here on MR!

Great news, as I would love to grab one myself. Looks like a dock I'd really be interested in. As hulkki suggests:

How stable the Hirise is with iPad Air?

Would love to know how it is!

---

Thanks everyone for your input thus far!

bounou

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012

Yeah i have to disagree with you, i have 2 i use for my iPhone and i tried it for the iPad Air and it feels a lot less secure, feels like the iPad could fall over easily.

jayiw

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
Not sure what they're charging for those at the Apple Store but Amazon carries them for only $29.99. That's pretty good considering it includes it's own lightning connector. A lot of docks make you use your own cable.
That's not the same. It's the one made for the iphone. It's a lot smaller and lighter. Apple store had that one as well. I think Amazon does have it a few bucks cheaper though. Just be sure it's the one for the iPad.

SMELTN

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
I just bought this today at the apple store. A bit pricey but it works fine with the air and looks nice:

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F8J088/

I tried that dock because I LOVE belkin products, but that dock will not fit anything with a case, not even the Apple Leather case. If it is not a bare device it will not dock on it.

Quick search on Amazon and found this:
Twelve South BookArc for iPad - Tabletop stand for iPad with iPad mini
http://amzn.com/B00B72DNG8

I seen those at PeachMac, but its not a dock its a stand. The cable you see plugged in is your cable that you plug in then sit it on the stand. Its basically a piece of metal with a slot in it to stick your iPad.

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
Another vote for the HiRise. The only negative thing I have to say about it is that you have to clip your lightning cable into the stand. This means that it isn't easy to grab the charging cable if you are traveling, etc. . . Obviously most people have spares, so it isn't a big deal but it is a minor annoyance.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Great looking iPad-air compatible dock?

I tried that dock because I LOVE belkin products, but that dock will not fit anything with a case, not even the Apple Leather case. If it is not a bare device it will not dock on it.

I seen those at PeachMac, but its not a dock its a stand. The cable you see plugged in is your cable that you plug in then sit it on the stand. Its basically a piece of metal with a slot in it to stick your iPad.

I understand. You want a staid with the lightning connector built in.
Belkin ChargeSync Express Dock with Lightning Cable Connector and Adjustable Dial for iPad 4th Gen, iPhone 5 / 5S / 5c, and iPod touch 7th Gen
http://amzn.com/B00E7LOXTW
47.80$
Cheaper on amazon.

jayiw

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
I understand. You want a staid with the lightning connector built in.
Belkin ChargeSync Express Dock with Lightning Cable Connector and Adjustable Dial for iPad 4th Gen, iPhone 5 / 5S / 5c, and iPod touch 7th Gen
http://amzn.com/B00E7LOXTW
47.80$
Cheaper on amazon.
Only thing with that is it's "Temporarily out of stock" through Amazon and it's $77 + shipping with the other store option on there.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Another vote for the HiRise as well. It is easily the best looking and most functional dock as I can use it for either the Air or my iPhone without changing anything. You will want to buy an extra lightning cable though, getting the cable out of the dock is a pain, so best to just buy a dedicated one for the dock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.