Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ardmanz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2013
Hey guys,

The new 13" base spec air is on offer (for today only) and I really want to move over to osx. However, I don't want to be buying a downgrade.

I currently have a windows laptop with the following spec:

i7 Sandy bridge
6gb RAM
555gt GFX.

80% of the time it's just used for web browsing etc which is great.

However, I also do a fair bit of amateur music production. I use pro tools and ableton. I do sometimes run out of RAM as I tend to run quite a lot of plug ins.

I also play the odd game (WOW and CS:GO).

Am I going to suffer a lot, will it be a massive downgrade? Is there any possible way it could be seen as a slight upgrade?

Thanks for your help.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd say the ULV version of Haswell, and its GPU may be impediments to performance, at least to what you're experiencing.

I'd say the 13 or 15" rMBP may be a better fit. If you remove playing games, then definitely the MBA but I don't think the MBA is a great game machine.

What ever machine you get, be sure to upgrade to max ram, given what you said of running multiple things at once and those apps can be demanding.

Ardmanz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2013
Thanks for your reply.

The problem is, it is an offer on base spec only so can't be upgraded. (£699 down from £949).

As far as games are concerned, I'm not worried about playing them with all the bells and whistles. I don't mind playing on medium-low with an acceptable frame rate. I'm more concerned about the music production side of things.

Ardmanz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2013
Sorry to bump this so soon but it's not on offer for much longer!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.