Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neut

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
for the life of me i cannot find the answer.

fairly new to OS X so it may be just something i have to put up with until jaguar (or am i an idiot) . . .

Prob. When I connect to my ISP it works fine. when i dissconnect or get dissconnected and then try to reconnect (using either the pull down menu or internet connect) the system hangs for a good few minutes (sometimes a spinning disk; other times just the pointer.) i can move my mouse but nothing else is responsive. if i click a menu or key a command it won't appear until the system becomes active again. sometimes them modem will connect during this time and othertimes it won't. if it doesn't, it usually will connect if i try again immeadiately.

this is getting very annoying. the only work around i have found is to restart the system which takes just about as long as waiting for the system to become responsive. i've checked Apple's Knowledge Base and haven't found anything close to this scenario. i found a few old posts on maccentral's forums, but they had no solution either.

has anyone experienced this with any successful solution? All software is up to date and the system runs very clean and efficiently otherwise. this only seems to happen on my DP450. My daughters iMac runs smoothly.

i know there's a few of you on here that actually know what you're doing. i would be greatful for your help. thanx guys

mmcneil

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Timeouts

I think your are experiencing delays in receiving a proper disconnect signal and the system is dropping into a timeout sequence. Try these steps:

return to the finder - this is much easier if you install Xassist which gives you an application menu in the upper right hand corner.

use command-option-esc to bring up the Force Quit menu (or go to the Apple menu and select)

Quit Internet Connect and then restart it.

In the meantime, feel free to ignore posts like the one above ;)

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by mac15
you are an idiot

No you are not. It's a perfectly legitimate question, and most people in this forum are happy to help. Obviously some are not...

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
I remember reading about problems with dual processer powermacs in connecting to the internet via modem... They got disconected ever 30 minutes. I thought apple fixed this in 10.1 but apparately they did not...

Are you sure you are running 10.1.2??? maybe you are running 10.0.2...:confused:

MaxRool

macrumors member
From my experience

From my experience these kind of delays are generally caused by network settings.
You say that your daughter's iMac is fine. (I assume OSX as well?)
You might try comparing the Network settings between the two machines?

neut

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
thanx guys . . .

"[moderator edit: be nice]"
(hey, i asked for it)

"Quit Internet Connect and then restart it."
(I'd love to if I could get the system to responed, force quit comes up only after the spinning disk is up for a few minutes)

"Are you sure you are running 10.1.2???"
(yes)

"I remember reading about problems with dual processer powermacs"
(i've heard this too, but nothing that points to answers)

"You might try comparing the Network settings between the two machines?"
(yeah, my daughters iMac is running OS 10.1.2 also. I'll check that as soon as I get my G4 back in my office. I played two shows back to back Friday night and still don't feel like carrying it back in the house.)

*thanks for everyones help. hopefully I can figure something out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.